996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for 996 magazine article/issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

The whole "Truth" article is rubbish. Take the complaint about "Frameless doors, complete commonality with the Boxster from the door latches forward, horrifying interior trim quality, drop-in assemblies provided by the lowest bidder, "
Porsche had "Frameless doors" on every Cab and Targa! Were all those 911's cheap as well?
Seen any modern Ferrari's with Framed Doors? And tell me why "commonality with the Boxster from the door latches forward" make for a Cheap car? It surely makes for more efficient production and then profit - but I remind everyone that the 986 and 996 cost less than a 968 or a comparable 993 new. And structurally the new series was a stiffer chassis with less weight and better performance. I hear the complaints about Headlights and Door handles and just see folks that like "OLD" design. And the "horrifying interior trim" in my all leather C4 is absolutely beautiful.
Like 30 year old design? Great - enjoy your poor heat & A/C systems. I will take the very workable "drop-in assemblies provided by the lowest bidder" As long as they meet or exceed the design standards.
P.S. Anyone seen any Internet surveys on the % of early Air Cooler motors blown up when the Chain tensioners let go??? Oh ... I forgot, we did not have an Internet forum back then where any one could state Opinions as "facts".
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, did he ever touch a nerve. Unfortunately many of the things he states are true or have some basis in truth. Except for the GT2, GT3, and TT, its pretty hard to sugar coat anything about the 996 without cringing and feeling like your defending some type of Yugo in the Porsche line. The 996 has some really nice lines but it is the definition of a "sheep in wolfs" clothing which has been pointed out by many highly regarded experts.

The owners (us) of a 996 are usually the last to admit that we have all purchased a well hyped complete t#$% of the automotive industry. A t#$% of such magnitude that it requires a significant sum of $$$ to upgrade the engine to improve the car above "POS" status. Im not trying to be harsh but merely a realist. Can anyone name any model produced by any auto manufacturer that the value can plunge from a $30,000+ mint vehicle to a sub $8000 roller in 5 seconds flat? Not including an auto accident , of course.

Yes, I also am kicking myself daily for not buying the TT or GT2. I have accepted the fact that my 996 will be placed into the catagory of "cool looking artifact" in my family auto collection. Now, if I can just decide which room to display it in.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Disclaimer: Above post was to use humor to avoid offense.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to find a copy of the Brooklands Books "Porsche 911 1998 - 2004" and it will have the articles you are looking for. You unfortunately won't find any article specific to the 2001 Carreras as there was simply nothing new that year and the new Turbo got all the buzz. There are lots of articles on the 1999 C2 Coupes and Cabs, but take some with a grain of salt...particularly any of the Coupe articles that came out in 1997. For example, Car and Driver road test a Euro spec pre-production Coupe in 1997 without a sunroof, side impact door beams or even side airbags that weighed only 2900 lbs. When they tested a production US Coupe it weighted 3152 lbs. For the 2000 model year, the C4 and Euro GT3 came into being and hence got a lot of press. There are just a couple articles around about the early 3.6l, but a lot more on the later/heavier C4S. Most of the articles that were published will be in this one volume. It covers articles on pretty much every 996 model, including the GT2, 996.2 GT3 and even the GT3 RS.

Quick Reply: Looking for 996 magazine article/issues