Sponsored by:

3M Paint Defender Spray Film

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3M Paint Defender Spray Film

3M just came out with this in April. Was skeptical at first but after a few Plasti Dip projects, spray on applications are proving to be quite durable

Im thinking this would be great for wintertime/seasonal protection if not longer term. Going to have to give this a try sometime this summer

http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html
Old 05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to be testing this product on a few of my clients cars. I am interested in the results but am a tad skeptical as to its true protection. I will apply it to full time track cars and some daily drivers. Will it be a game changer? Too soon to tell but technology has made some massive improvements over the past few years.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Great, do post your results. Would love to hear your hands on impression
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Will do!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed.

I would be surprised if it doesn't work. Someone on the clear bra assembly line must have said "a ha! why are we making this into sheets when its not going onto a flat surface in the first place?"

Probably a matter of time before its sold in bulk to detail shops and applied with a proper spray gun.
At which point they'll charge you even more than to apply the film....
I better start learning how to shoot.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OOOh will definitely test this out
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM
cmartin214
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if it will have any orange peel though. Armor All came out with a matte black protectant for the same purpose, mainly used as a front bra.
My buddy did the Armor All over his whole car, it looked pretty decent from about 20 feet but if you got within a couple feet you could see some light orange peel.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmartin214
My buddy did the Armor All over his whole car, it looked pretty decent from about 20 feet but if you got within a couple feet you could see some light orange peel.
I fail to see the problem with 20 feet......I know plenty girls that look drop dead gorgeous from 20+ feet

Just saying
Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

I have spoken with some fellow detailers that are also testing this system. Longevity is only about 6-8 months. Prep is a bitch and you need to mask off anything you don't want this stuff on. Apparently it sprays everywhere. It might give some DIY challenged folks a fit.

The biggest complaint I receive about clear films is the yellowing. The yellowing is actually the adhesive and not the film itself. Too soon to say if this product will replace traditional films.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 PM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds interesting...I eagerly await your opinion/review.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
I have spoken with some fellow detailers that are also testing this system. Longevity is only about 6-8 months. Prep is a bitch and you need to mask off anything you don't want this stuff on. Apparently it sprays everywhere. It might give some DIY challenged folks a fit.

The biggest complaint I receive about clear films is the yellowing. The yellowing is actually the adhesive and not the film itself. Too soon to say if this product will replace traditional films.
I'm interested! Your quote is the best!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM
cmartin214
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in seeing how it comes off in 6-8 months and if the chemicals affects the paint clear after sitting in the sun with 100+ degrees. I've seen wraps that had been on a car for almost a year leave adhesion stained into the paint's clear coat from being baked in the sun..
Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Originally Posted by Gator996

I was under the impression it came out just this year, is that inaccurate?

Those who mentioned orange peel, the videos say it will actually have an orange peel look at first but smooths out as it dries to a gloss finish.

If the formulation is anything similar to Plasti-Dip this stuff should be pretty durable. Worth a try at any rate
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 AM
theclutch
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For $45, this sounds like an awfully good deal. Better than the $650+ for Xpel or other films out there that don't always go on "perfectly". As perfectlap's implied posting above, they were trying to make these sheets of film go on curved fenders....

The best part of this it seems is that if you screw up the installation, it appears MUCH easier to remove than the standard films which leave a "gummy" residue which then takes much more elbow grease to remove.

Although I currently have Xpel on 2 cars and VentureShield on another, I'm going to try this on another car as soon as I can buy it. I will report my findings.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Gator - Any updates on application ?

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender Spray Film