996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant warning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I second the flashlight trick. Also, you can just add distilled water if you need to just top it off. I had to do this a lot when mine was leaking. My problem ended up being a bad expansion tank cap and a bad AOS. The AOS was barely seeping for a long time and finally just dumped all my coolant out in the parking lot at work.

Never got any warnings though. I would not drive it around until resolved if the computer is complaining.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank .. Any update on the problem ?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in getting back, but had to go to San Francisco for a week with work and btw I didn't see as many 911/boxters as I had expected but rather Prius' in silver. Have been to SF a good number of times before but never thought of "counting" Porsche's and was told by my sister (a Berkeley resident) that Prius' is taking over the market (and yes she has one too )

Anyway, to recap: Bought the pink coolant as instructed by the VW mechanic, and it was written on the back label that it was approved by Porsche along with other manufactures. It did also have a vW coding on it and it did also say phosphate free so without question the correct fluid.

I got my self a flash light to check the coolant level by pointing it on the canister to see that all is as it should be (my garage is quite dark) every time before I go driving. Went for good drive when I got back on Monday and the level had not dropped since filling it up before I left. Will check again this evening as I have the car set for service next week and might ask Porsche to fix it and do the pressure test as discussed earlier.

I will get back with more info in about weeks time
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

UPDATE:

Got a call from Porsche and a few things needs to be done and a quote of the job to be done which I accepted.

Because my German is not what it should be I might have heard wrong but:

1. New compressors (kondensatoren) neede for the aircondition to work propperly again (2 of them).
2. All radiators (radiatoren) needs to be changed (I'm "sure" he said 4 but shouldn't it only be 3?) as they are leaking.
3. Brake fluid to be changed as it was 6 years since last time.

When I delievered the car, I specifically told the mechanic about the coolant loss and if he could check it out, as well as doing an over all check of the car so not too bad really.

So, what does a job like this cost in Switzerland at Porsche you may think. Any guess?

The cost is with all the parts, fluids, bits and bobs as well as labour...

The answer will be revealed later this week.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless its lost in translation, you really need the Bentley manual to help you identify the 996 systems.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:20 PM
CryptoCars.World
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Porche Cheyenne HYBRID coolant light after topped

Hello,
My wife's car began running rough on a drive home 1 night. I changed out the ignition coils, cleared codes, and it was fixed.

Then the yellow low coolant light began coming on when starting cold. Took it in for oil change and coolant top off.

The next time we started it cold a red rectangle popped up alerting coolant issues. We looked up online and called dealership. Both said there's probably are in coolant line..

My question is how to burp the line.. Since it's a 2012 the coolant is still Pink not Purple like the 2013. I've slightly loosened the valve at front top under decorative engine cover while off. Waited then tried again with same red alert.

So I drove it a few miles, alert stops after 1 min of driving. I pulled over and tried bleeding same valve while running. Now I'm waiting for it to cool to recheck light.

Unfortunately, YouTube has nothing. I work on BMW, Audi, and Land Rovers we own and sell. Use to mechanical, electrical, body, and even computer linking to optimize settings. Needless to say we are pretty savvy.

Any ideas of how to properly burp system of air bubbles in coolant lines?

Quick Reply: Coolant warning?