Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Click-Click-Cliking sound. Loose Plug? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:15 AM
offshoreMM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Click-Click-Cliking sound. Loose Plug? (Video)

2002 C2, 50,000 miles. Have installed IMS retrofit, replaced AOS, replaced RMS (new one is now leaking after 500 miles btw). No CEL, no history of failures. Plugs replaced five months ago, oil level perfect, no intermix or any other obvious signs of trouble.

Symptoms: Car feels "sluggish", very very seldom I'll press the gas pedal and the car will seem to hesitate/make a stumbling noise before going back to normal. Car seems slightly louder than usual (exhaust note seems slightly louder than usual, but there are no exhaust leaks). Car makes a tick-tick-ticking noise, and the noise remains even after warming up. Revving the engine does not cause the sound to get louder or faster. The sound is really only apparent at idle, when standing outside the car, or with windows down.

Durametric says both of my 02 sensors are aging, but I am running straight pipes, so that may be contributing. No other error codes. Oil was changed 5 months ago, and oil level has remained fine, despite the RMS leak. In the video, it looks like the driver's side spark plug cover has oil on it, but I think this might be from my spraying de-greaser in that area recently. No metal in the oil when last changed.

My suspicions:

1. MAF sensor might be going. Recently removed the K&N intake and reinstalled an OEM air box. Connections are all fine, but some of the throttle hesitation makes me think the MAF sensor might be going bad. Throttle body is perfectly clean.

2. A plug, or plugs were not torqued correctly, or have somehow come loose.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55g94...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What kind of mufflers do you have? Any chance it's a loose internal baffle from one of the mufflers?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have installed IMS retrofit, replaced AOS, replaced RMS (new one is now leaking after 500 miles btw)
Did you do this work yourself? If not, I think I would bring it back. Leak after 500 miles? Bad RMS install or worse.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM
offshoreMM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mufflers are fabspeed.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:42 AM
Riofan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tack tack noise similar to yours on the number 2 bank and it turned out to be a bad coil.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 AM
hotelguy
Instructor

I had a knock/tick like that and it turned out to be a failing catalytic converter.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 AM
RamVA
Racer

Sounds like bad (but not totally bad) coil, but that should throw a code.

Quick Reply: Click-Click-Cliking sound. Loose Plug? (Video)