Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What can a dealership tell you about your Porsche's history?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, so I contacted CARFAX to ask if they offered different levels of information on a vehicle and this was their response:

With exception to State DMVs, not every data source in North America reports information to us, so the reporting of events is based on a source's willingness to participate with us.

If a Report has a lot of service history then that is because the owner has the vehicle serviced at locations that report data to us but if there is no service history then the vehicle is not serviced by a company that reports to us. Every State DMV reports data to CARFAX, so whenever a vehicle is titled and/ or registered, that information will be on the CARFAX Report within 60 days.

We continuously contract with new sources to obtain new and archived data and we update our database as often as possible, so the CARFAX Reports change on a day to day basis.

Reports can be purchased from www.carfax.com and every Report online and at the dealership contains all of the information that has been reported to us, if information is not on the Report then it is because it has not been reported to us.

We always recommend a comprehensive inspection and test drive before purchasing a used vehicle to avoid hidden problems.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM
ArniO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot like Dstutler, I bought mine on a private sale, called up the closest (Canadian) dealer to where he lived and they emailed the service history (that they had) to me. No identity or ownership challenges. It looks like the policy and practice varies considerably.

Quick Reply: What can a dealership tell you about your Porsche's history?