Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need quick advice on a risky 996 purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have all the mechanical know-how of a sock puppet.
very funny.

This would be a great chance to learn the flat 6. Good luck on whatever you decide. Please read Imre's 3.4 thread.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
Oh no, not ME personally.. I have all the mechanical know-how of a sock puppet. I can change oil, spark plugs but anything internal on a 10K engine is not something in my wheelhouse of comfort. That being said I am going to request a ton of pictures be taken of the job, the trashed paddle, and anything else that is found while theyre in there if I decide to go this route.
Your mechanic will be going to Hawaii for Christmas!! Clients that know nothing about cars and need major repairs are music to their ears.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Your mechanic will be going to Hawaii for Christmas!! Clients that know nothing about cars and need major repairs are music to their ears.
I never said I knew nothing about cars, however ive pulled the codes, verified the misfires, verified it's out of time and can easily hear what appears to sound like something collapsed in the engine. the logical next course of action is to take it to the shop. Bob has a very good customer base and I dont expect him to rake me over the coals. If it is indeed what he thinks, it's a sub 4K repair(a little over when i do the IMS/RMS). At this point if i really thought it was something that didnt involve dropping the engine i'd certainly do what i can to investigate further but again, there are no shops here besides the dealership that have any knowledge of these cars.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Those pads are $20/ head but will cost 1000s in labour to replace and you don't think that's being raked over? Wait until the "while you are at it" part list starts to grow. Since you are not doing any of the work, this will be an expensive fix and mechanic will be going to Hawaii.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM
KC_Michael
Advanced

My guess is you spoke with Aaron Holmstrom, owner of Bob Hindson Racing. Great guy to deal. He won't steer you wrong.
I also like dealing with Carl Wilen at RennSportKC. Very straight shooter and he blogs all of his work on his website (http://rennsportkc.com/blog/). I've learned a bunch from that blog. Oh, and one more thing, he's doing an LS conversion on a 944 (track car), so if that engine is toast maybe you can discuss an LS conversion.
Good luck. My guess is you made a great deal.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by KC_Michael
My guess is you spoke with Aaron Holmstrom, owner of Bob Hindson Racing. Great guy to deal. He won't steer you wrong.
I also like dealing with Carl Wilen at RennSportKC. Very straight shooter and he blogs all of his work on his website (http://rennsportkc.com/blog/). I've learned a bunch from that blog. Oh, and one more thing, he's doing an LS conversion on a 944 (track car), so if that engine is toast maybe you can discuss an LS conversion.
Good luck. My guess is you made a great deal.
Well damn, I thought his name was bob

Thanks for the great references, that blog site is very interesting indeed. I will call him to discuss some options as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Those pads are $20/ head but will cost 1000s in labour to replace and you don't think that's being raked over? Wait until the "while you are at it" part list starts to grow. Since you are not doing any of the work, this will be an expensive fix and mechanic will be going to Hawaii.
Hey don't rub it in just because you are still able to hold the record still. We need a 996 in the GRM Challenge, now that would be a CHALLENGE.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Not rubbing anything in. Just disappointed that this isn't going to be a DIY thread. Would have been great.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Not rubbing anything in. Just disappointed that this isn't going to be a DIY thread. Would have been great.
I know just messin with ya.

I agree, DIY on something like this would've been nice but not everyone is cut out to be a shade tree mechanic.

OP please keep us updated. We are all pulling for you to have the best outcome regardless.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not all mechanics are crooks.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Doc, that's a great blog you maintain. I read the whole thing.

But I have to say I was really surprised to hear a mechanic say how much he liked the Jaguar XJ8/XK8. Has Jag actually become a viable option as a car?

And true, not all mechanics are crooks. But the hard part is finding a Porsche mechanic that doesn't assume that because you own a Porsche, the expense to repair is of no concern to its owner.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Not all mechanics are crooks.
Not all.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Lots of parts are rather inexpensive but until the bad part is removed and the new part is installed you can have a truck load of new parts and the engine will still be sick.

Unfortunately delving into these engines is in some cases a time consuming process and time costs money.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu

But I have to say I was really surprised to hear a mechanic say how much he liked the Jaguar XJ8/XK8. Has Jag actually become a viable option as a car?
Thanks!

Crap, did I say that out loud about the Jaguars? I better edit that before people see.......

Actually they aren't bad cars at all (of course if they have been maintained properly). They have their quirks like any car does, but no doubt are often a victim to bad owners, which results in $$. The newer XF is a REALLY fun car for a cruiser.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Any recent updates ?

Quick Reply: Need quick advice on a risky 996 purchase!