996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Loud whine on cold start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine is acting up also. I occassionally get a loud electrical whine from mine, in addition to just being noisier in general sometimes. When it finally does go out or start making unbearable noises, is there any reason why one couldn't disconnect the electrical plug on the front and run the car until they get a new one?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you enjoy a CEL in your dash display? Just read the DIY for greasing the bearings. A monkey could do it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jamren
Hmm now I'm confused. Is there any way to know for sure? Mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner and not a saw or metal grinding but if something is wrong, I would like to fix it. The car passed PPI before I bought it last month so maybe I'm worrying over nothing.
Get a second opinion. Any Porsche tech worth his name tag should be able to tell you if the noise is normal or a sign of trouble.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kpl
mine is acting up also. I occassionally get a loud electrical whine from mine, in addition to just being noisier in general sometimes. When it finally does go out or start making unbearable noises, is there any reason why one couldn't disconnect the electrical plug on the front and run the car until they get a new one?
The pump is intended to add air to the exhaust to combine with the extra fuel the ECU adds and these together burn and heat up the converters quicker.

This cuts down on the time the ECU runs open loop and the time the engine receives this extra load of fuel. An ECU that is running in closed loop fuels an engine better, cleaner.

So with the SAI pump disabled the engine runs open loop longer and runs richer for nothing.

I'm not sure what the extra fuel sans the extra air would do but there is the risk of possible damage the converters. You think a SAI pump is expensive, price a couple of new converters.

Get the thing fixed and quit worrying.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After everyone chiming in, mine may be normal. It's higher pitched in the cabin than outsiide. Doesn't sound like a bearing going south, but more like a Hoover.

Quick Reply: Loud whine on cold start?