Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Cole Performance LLC is doing IMSB, and Sachs clutch kit on mine for:

IMSB (OEM type) $165
IMSB tools $249.99
Sachs Clutch kit $449.95

Total: $614.95 not including tools

Tools included: $864.94 (and I keep tools for next time)

Parts should be here in a couple of days. Cant Wait!
KK, you're not using the LN bearing?????
Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

With the current drama and battle between Casper and LN about who has the best CH bearing I decided to go with Pelicans improved OEM type and just face the fact this is a regular maint. item with clutch kit. Plus it gives me a chance to take it apart again for fun.

Pelican bearing 40K miles
LN and Casper who the heck knows? 50K to 100K?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Cole Performance LLC is doing IMSB, and Sachs clutch kit on mine for:

IMSB (OEM type) $165
IMSB tools $249.99
Sachs Clutch kit $449.95

Total: $614.95 not including tools

Tools included: $864.94 (and I keep tools for next time)

Parts should be here in a couple of days. Cant Wait!
HOLD ON....

First off No DIY? And then you go behind JR's back and not do an LNE bearing retrofit?

What is this world coming to?

Man, that is the ultimate betrayal in more ways than one...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Alp, that is the DIY price. The company is mine. LOL.

No offense to JR, LN, or Casper but the drama between them about which one and why is absurd. Now they are all going top secret and will be refusing to sell them to chumps like us. So in goes the 40K Pelican bearing. Better buy what Pelican still has in stock if you want a CH bearing.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Cool. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ah gotcha. IIRC, Imre1000 had a source for bearings for $100 but not sure if it was CH or not. Either way, $165 isn't bad either considering the alternatives.

I expect a full video presentation of this procedure. j/k.

But in case you make one, make sure you show the JG DT-40 going in plain view.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnuvo
Bob, I've used Akers on Capital Hill for practically all of my needs. Mark and his staff are all great guys and never try to upsale you on anything! They simply give you your options/their experience and opinions, and let you make the call. I really like and trust them all. You never have to ask for the little extras, like cutting the oil filter open every oil change to make sure that nothing has changed health-wise with your motor since the last time. I joked with Mark the last time I was in there, I said "I really like coming to visit you and the shop Mark , I just wish it didn't cost me money every time I do!" You can roam around the shop, check out all of the inersting toys in there,pick the brain of any of the mechanics etc... I doubt Barrier would ever let me hang out underneath my car on a lift while a procedure is being done and explained to you!

Brent
Thanks for the info Brent. Great to hear about local shops that realize we have options and work hard to keep our business.

From what I've heard about the local Porsche dealership--your comments are dead on.

Bob
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Ah gotcha. IIRC, Imre1000 had a source for bearings for $100 but not sure if it was CH or not. Either way, $165 isn't bad either considering the alternatives.

I expect a full video presentation of this procedure. j/k.

But in case you make one, make sure you show the JG DT-40 going in plain view.
It was a Ceramic Hybrid, dual row. When I was doing it, Pelican only had a single row bearing with spacers to fit into a dual row shaft. If this is still the case, then this is a downgrade in my oppinion. The bearings that came from the factory are about $20 for the single row and less than $40 for the double row. The double row has a slightly longer than normal races but this can easily be compensated with small spacer (about the thickness of two washers). The more exotic hybrids are also more expensive too. The double row I put into mine was $100+shipping.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
tnuvo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs95
Thanks for the info Brent. Great to hear about local shops that realize we have options and work hard to keep our business.

From what I've heard about the local Porsche dealership--your comments are dead on.

Bob
Having said that, some of my fellow regional PCA members swear by and have nothing but praise for Chris's German, which might be a bit more convenient since it's on your side of "the pond"! I for one think we are very fortunate in the Pacific Northwest. I could name a number of skilled/reputable/passionate indy shops in the area. I don't have anything against Barrier and their staff, and have had some select services done there with great results. If I had a newer 997/991 under warranty, I'd probably go nowhere else, but with a 13yr. old 996 I just can't justify the 35-40% mark up on services over a skilled indy!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM
LI911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/3704771697.html

Would a dealer do all this work and not tell the owner to upgrade (or at least refresh) the IMS? ugh.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LI911
Yep, next up is an alignment and I'm going to be trying a different indy. I should have added that even with the 14 hours labor the whole job with parts was just shy of 2K, they were also the only local shop listed as a preferred LNE installer.
Perhaps their initial shop estimate was 14 hours. If you had the engine dropped with anything replaced and the final bill was less than $2K I'm not sure that was unreasonable.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Pelican only had a single row bearing with spacers to fit into a dual row shaft. If this is still the case, then this is a downgrade in my oppinion.
Imre, mines a single row and the new Pelican bearing is supposed to be an improvement over the OEM single row. If they are now admitting that even the C/H bearing should be replaced at 40K to 50K, why bother with LN for $600 or Casper for $500? Both claim they will no longer sell to public anyway so who needs em? I will just replace mine every clutch job and enjoy doing it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LI911
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/3704771697.html

Would a dealer do all this work and not tell the owner to upgrade (or at least refresh) the IMS? ugh.
I'm just not sure a Porsche dealer is going to recommend the installation of a non-factory part. Some will do a bearing upgrade if requested, but they are not going to offer.

And if the IMS settlement goes through, don't hold your breath waiting for an announcement from your local dealer.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnuvo
Having said that, some of my fellow regional PCA members swear by and have nothing but praise for Chris's German, which might be a bit more convenient since it's on your side of "the pond"! I for one think we are very fortunate in the Pacific Northwest. I could name a number of skilled/reputable/passionate indy shops in the area. I don't have anything against Barrier and their staff, and have had some select services done there with great results. If I had a newer 997/991 under warranty, I'd probably go nowhere else, but with a 13yr. old 996 I just can't justify the 35-40% mark up on services over a skilled indy!
I can't argue with you about Chris' German--they performed the PPI on mine last year, and some additional work a few months later. I've heard there are 3 or 4 good indy's on each side of the lake. Nice to know when the time comes for clutch/IMS/RMS/AOS replacement....
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Imre, mines a single row and the new Pelican bearing is supposed to be an improvement over the OEM single row. If they are now admitting that even the C/H bearing should be replaced at 40K to 50K, why bother with LN for $600 or Casper for $500? Both claim they will no longer sell to public anyway so who needs em? I will just replace mine every clutch job and enjoy doing it.
If it's not a hybrid, do they say what exactly is the improvement over the stock? I'm suspecting it's an off the shelf part (like the one Porsche uses for their single row) and you can find those at any bearing supply store for $20.

Quick Reply: IMS/RMS/Clutch quote