Sponsored by:

IMS/RMS/Clutch quote

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LI911
Yep, next up is an alignment and I'm going to be trying a different indy. I should have added that even with the 14 hours labor the whole job with parts was just shy of 2K, they were also the only local shop listed as a preferred LNE installer.
Wow that Indy must still be on 1990's rates.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
dosie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911Mater:
hey dosie,im in charlotte also and my 04 is also listed have 51k,,may i ask where and who did the work for you,,the price sounds reasonable ,thanks

Motorwerks in Denver NC

I'll post here with details of the experience and costs.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
dosie
Intermediate

Taking my car in for the "operation" tomorrow. Will keep you all posted.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 PM
dosie
Intermediate

Well, it's "job well done" to Exclusive Motorwerks in Denver, NC. Would highly suggest to those who have the slightest anxiety over this issue to get it done...not that expensive for an insurance against a blown engine, and if your VIN is on the list of "suspect" cars, it should increase [or at least maintain] the value of your car.
They did hand my clutch back to me and said that I should save it for the next time I need one, as this one is hardly worn!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM
nydefense
AutoX

Recently had IMS replaced with LNE upgrade, RMS, Clutch, PP, TO bearing, Flywheel, OA sep, water pump, low temp thermostat, reseal leaking oil pan. Oil and filter. ALL needed. 51k miles on the car. could have done most of the work myself but NO garage anymore. Total P&L $5300. Top Indy in area. Porsche dealer told me the had to split case and replace shaft. Problem started when I noticed small oil leak. Probably just RMS, leaked oil was pretty clean. clutch was shot and scored the flywheel, couldn't be turned. water pump was leaking. Bottom line I FEEL better having the IMS done, rest of work was necessary too.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:17 PM
nydefense
AutoX

Recently had IMS replaced with LNE upgrade, RMS, Clutch, PP, TO bearing, Flywheel, OA sep, water pump, low temp thermostat, reseal leaking oil pan. Oil and filter. ALL needed. 51k miles on the car. could have done most of the work myself but NO garage anymore. Total P&L $5300. Top Indy in area. Porsche dealer told me the had to split case and replace shaft. Problem started when I noticed small oil leak. Probably just RMS, leaked oil was pretty clean. clutch was shot and scored the flywheel, couldn't be turned. water pump was leaking. Bottom line I FEEL better having the IMS done, rest of work was necessary too.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
tnuvo
Rennlist Member

I had this work done on my 2000 C2 Cab this past Nov. Included was a new clutch kit w/out replacing but turning the flywheel, although no signs of issues...L&N IMS update, again no issues...but new RMS, oil/filter change,and a few other minor parts. Out the door tax included, $3300 at an Indy I use and trust. My local dealership quoated me almost 2k more for the same work!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tnuvo: For interest's sake, was your old IMS dual or single row? How good or bad was it; ie, smooth turning, ratchety, loose, etc? Thanks!
Martin
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
tnuvo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
Tnuvo: For interest's sake, was your old IMS dual or single row? How good or bad was it; ie, smooth turning, ratchety, loose, etc? Thanks!
Martin
Martin, my IMS was the factory original that came with the car, model year 2000 and I'm not sure on whether they were a dual or single row(I'm sure someone can chime in with that info), but it was in great shape! I was replacing my original factory clutch for the first time at 68k miles, and since I had already paid for the labor to get to the cltuch and IMS area's, it was a no brainer to go ahead and update the IMS for piece of mind! I'm in the camp of the IMS issues with these M96 motors being a bit overblown(I realize they have and do happen), but mine looked/functioned great! I simply considered updating it as preventative maitenence. Cheers!

Brent
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Brent! Nice to know your IMS was in good shape as it is good news for those not having done the switch yet.
The reason I asked as to whether it was dual or single-row is that there is a common belief that yr 2000 was a transition yr for IMS bearings for 996s. Linking this info with your VIN could help us determine where the transition took place. Some say it was more in 2001, which is credible as well but no one is really certain. Every little bit of correlation info helps! Cheers!
Martin
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
bobs95
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brent, which Indy did you use for your repairs? I live across the lake from you and will be having the same work done in the not-to-distant future.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently did my clutch and RMS myself, and had the flywheel turned (by a local shop) with a total cost of roughtly $600...Decided not to touch the IMS (visiual inspection looked fine)...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
The reason I asked as to whether it was dual or single-row is that there is a common belief that yr 2000 was a transition yr for IMS bearings for 996s. Linking this info with your VIN could help us determine where the transition took place. Some say it was more in 2001, which is credible as well but no one is really certain. Every little bit of correlation info helps! Cheers!
Martin
As I've explained before there are people that throw around 2000 and 2001 because some got what's essentially our 2001 US model a year earlier and some reference the manufactured date instead.

If you notice, the 996 is referenced as '98 model in Europe even though we didnt' get it til '99. Also some websites will reference parts for the 996 model as starting from '97-.

This is where some people are confused because there is USA, ROW, and manufactured date that gets thrown around without any real or further clarification sometimes.

The official transition year is '01 USA model year.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
tnuvo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobs95
Brent, which Indy did you use for your repairs? I live across the lake from you and will be having the same work done in the not-to-distant future.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob, I've used Akers on Capital Hill for practically all of my needs. Mark and his staff are all great guys and never try to upsale you on anything! They simply give you your options/their experience and opinions, and let you make the call. I really like and trust them all. You never have to ask for the little extras, like cutting the oil filter open every oil change to make sure that nothing has changed health-wise with your motor since the last time. I joked with Mark the last time I was in there, I said "I really like coming to visit you and the shop Mark , I just wish it didn't cost me money every time I do!" You can roam around the shop, check out all of the inersting toys in there,pick the brain of any of the mechanics etc... I doubt Barrier would ever let me hang out underneath my car on a lift while a procedure is being done and explained to you!

Brent
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Cole Performance LLC is doing IMSB, and Sachs clutch kit on mine for:

IMSB (OEM type) $165
IMSB tools $249.99
Sachs Clutch kit $449.95

Total: $614.95 not including tools

Tools included: $864.94 (and I keep tools for next time)

Parts should be here in a couple of days. Cant Wait!

Quick Reply: IMS/RMS/Clutch quote