996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Would you plasti-dip your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM
car-crazy-carl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Has anyone ever become sick from Plasti Dip?

I have an old Ford Explorer and I used PD to cover my dash,
and parts of my worn interior.Now I cannot even drive my car
on hot days because the fumes make me sick. Is this stuff
safe? I'm in the process of trying to remove the PD,
but it is not coming off that easy. Does anyone know
of a non-toxic alternative to PD for covering a car interior?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Bron _X
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car-crazy-carl, the problem in temperature usage. The PD after full drying isnt toxic.
Alternatives (water-based) isnt UV stable thats why dont competitive.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
If you track the car it would help protect the front from stone chips and you could peel it off after an event.
My company makes a waterbased peelable coating that could be an attractive option. You don't have to worry about putting a solventbased system over your nice paint and potentially causing issues. It's definitely not the same type of product as PD. I made a video and here is a YouTube link to it.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

After watching the video - and personally knowing about the amount of work involved in prepping all paintable surfaces on a car, taping it off, and spraying 5+ coats of paint - I wouldn't do it. I don't see a distinct advantage over using a 3M vinyl wrap. Why spend so much time/money/effort on something that may or may not hold up. The 3M stuff is proven and relatively inexpensive + you get a consistent finish all around.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:07 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't actually seen it in real life you should before you do it. It doesn't look that good in real life. Wheels are okay and maybe small trim. I've done that with okay results. I've also seen a whole car and in my humble opinion it looks bad.

Now a wrap. I saw a Panamera the other day at the Porsche dealer with a metallic gold wrap. It looked like gold chrome paint, like something from the future. A spaceship. I don't usually go out of my way to comment to an owner of a car but I just had to complement it to the tall Russian super model like woman driving it and her mean looking companion. She told me it wasn't actually paint but a wrap and gave me the full tour of the car. Really blingy but if you want an attention getter and something really unique that looks very high quality, that wrap was amazing!

Quick Reply: Would you plasti-dip your car?