Sponsored by:

Gundo Hack 1.5"

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gundo Hack 1.5"

Here's a quick video upload of my just done Gundo Hack (connecting the inlet and outlet pipes) with 1.5" pipes.

This is a quick cold start after I installed the mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0Pb...ature=youtu.be

I went with 1.5" as i was afraid the standard 1.75" would be too loud. I live on a slight hill and I didn't want to be that guy driving up the hill late at night and making a racket! Turns out, the car isn't under enough load going up the hill right now (just don't gun it!) Overall, I'm pleased, though perhaps I'd go with a 1.75" pipe if I was to redo it. Definitely more noise on the outside than inside the car. As everyone has said, no drone!

Last edited by yoda888; 03-14-2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: how do you embed the Youtube video?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Yoda for posting the video. I was also thinking about doing the hack with a 1.5 inch pipe as I really don't want it to be too loud. Everyone who has done this mod seems to recommend it but I am surprised that it is not much louder inside the car. I'n thinking i will go ahead and do the mod with a 1.75 inch pipe
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you doing another project too? Why so much of the car taken apart?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
3cyltrbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Are you doing another project too? Why so much of the car taken apart?
Curious

does that much need to be removed for muffler access? / or is it just a matter of making things easier to get to?

Will
Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Road noise is still the loudest while cruising on the highway. But if you get on it you can definitely hear it. Lack of drone is key here. The other thing is I figure if it's not loud enough I can always go from 1.5 to 1.75, but you can't really go backwards (making a bigger hole smaller is more difficult) All in all not bad. It's definitely more pronounced at cold start. Once it's warm and idling you don't notice it at all.

I think the sound behavior is correct. The PSE cars I test drove, the you could definitely tell outside the car more than inside the car. But it sounded great either way. (Actually better from the outside personally)

Originally Posted by dinodog
Thanks Yoda for posting the video. I was also thinking about doing the hack with a 1.5 inch pipe as I really don't want it to be too loud. Everyone who has done this mod seems to recommend it but I am surprised that it is not much louder inside the car. I'n thinking i will go ahead and do the mod with a 1.75 inch pipe
Access, plus I was replacing the spark plugs too. Was much easier to remove the bumper for me. Some of those bolts are a PIA to get to! Now that I know how to remove the bumper, I think it can be done in 5mins. Even after removing the mufflers, spark plugs, it would still be a biatch to do.

Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo
Curious

does that much need to be removed for muffler access? / or is it just a matter of making things easier to get to?

Will
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Curious does that much need to be removed for muffler access? / or is it just a matter of making things easier to get to?
Just take the rear tires off and its very easy.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo
Curious

Will
I just installed mine last Saturday, jacking up the rear end of the car, then removing the bumper covrer and heat shields definitely makes things a whole lot easier.

I'm all about making things easier, even if it takes a bit more time, especially if it saves scraping knuckles and not risk catching or breaking anything along the way.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 PM
carlium
Advanced

Default tubing

i was wondering if 1.5 inches is the inner diameter or the total diameter (including the walls of the piping) of the pipe used to connect inlet and outlet?

Thinking of doing this myself.

Regards
Carl
Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 PM
texcwa
Racer

If you connected the inlet pipe to outlet pipe would that not be the Fister mod not Gundo Hack? My understanding is that the Gundo Hack is installing a bent pipe from top of can to outlet pipe. I have the Fister D mod and love the sound.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 PM
carlium
Advanced

Well, thought it was the other way around. But I'm probably wrong since recently started reading about it. Anyway, is it the total or the inner diameter of the tube/pipe which is 1.5"?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:38 AM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texcwa
If you connected the inlet pipe to outlet pipe would that not be the Fister mod not Gundo Hack? My understanding is that the Gundo Hack is installing a bent pipe from top of can to outlet pipe.
^^^^
Correct

Quick Reply: Gundo Hack 1.5"