CERMA Lubricant

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CERMA Lubricant

Has anyone ever heard of this Cerma Advanced Lubrication Tech? We recently became an authorized dealer at my shop and I am tempted to try it out in my P-car.

Supposedly it is an oil additive you, you add 2oz at the time of an oil change, run it for 2000km (1200miles) and change the oil again. Supposedly it is unlike most other additives because it creates a metal/ceramic coating on on your engine cylinder sleeves that will help your pistons run smoother (less resistance) which means more power and better fuel milage etc.

It was originally developed for Military use so that military vehicles could travel up to 100 miles while completely starved of oil. It was then developed for semi public use in racing applications with supposedly good results.

We have had it in quite a few vehicles now. Our Shop 2008 GMC 2500 Duramax with 235,000km. even though it was running fine, it really smoothed it out very quiet, it doesnt even shw any vibrations in the oil of our oil air freshener in it. We put it in our shop 2010 F-150 with 137,000km. Normally these trucks have issues with a 2 piece spark plug which tends to break. We changed them to 1 pieces but it always ran rougher/ sounded like a diesel, with Cerma, it quieted back down. My cousin added it to his 4.8L BMW X5 tranny which has problems with notchy shifts it also smoothed that out.

What impressed us the most was that we added it to one of the trucks belonging to our biggest fleet account. it was a 2004 Ford F450 6L diesel with almost 500,000km on it. it regularly tows 40,000+lbs for exteneded distances, it is a very worn engine, smokes like a bitch, doesnt have a lot of power, injectors pop all the time, missfires when cold etc. we added this, and it has been over 10,000km since we changed the oil after adding Cerma, it starts nice, doesn't smoke, has regained some of its power, and has been getting 10%+ better fuel milage

I am very tempted to try this in my P-car but am wondering how others feel about this? It has had awesome results in other vehicles, but they aren't Porsche's My engine runs pretty smooth, slight vibration at idle (I have changed motor mounts), it smokes a touch at start up when it is cold, but nothing to really complain about. I like the idea of what Cerma can do, but I don't want to doing any harm to my motor.

Here is a link to the product

CERMA Advanced Lubrication Technologies
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

On a side note this thread is not intended in any way to promote this product, I am not compensated for any sort of sales unless I am selling this product through my brick and mortar store, and I have no intention of selling this product on this website since I am not a sponsor, or set up for international shipment.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nano technology. Here's some more interesting reading http://www.millersoils.co.uk/ or http://www.performanceracingoils.com/
Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try it and let us know... maybe put in your transmission too? Looks pretty cool, let us know what your experience is... thx.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:21 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viper6
Try it and let us know... maybe put in your transmission too? Looks pretty cool, let us know what your experience is... thx.
I am interested in trying it out, I was wondering if anyone has a technical background that would provide more insight than just the sales pitch on the website or sales rep, or even better if someone has personal use with it.

The website can say it cures cancer. The sales rep can say it prevents Herpes. but if it costs me a new engine or transmission I will be very unimpressed, I asked about any type of warranty, and the sale rep says that they wont cover any type of damage. so unless I would have solid proof that the additive was the cause of catastrophic failure and sue them in civil court it will be a risk that could have costly consequences.

The other reason I was a little interested in this is that even though I have recently replaced my IMS with OEM it does help with lubrication and could be preventative maint. with your IMS.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not trying to be too skeptical but isnt a crosshatch cylinder wall pattern of grooves needed to hold oil on the cylinder wall for lubrication? Its enough that you can actually see and feel it on a properly honed cylinder. The cylinder wall can be TOO smooth or glazed for proper operation and oil control.

"Testimonials" are usually very subjective rather than objective due to people wanting a certain result.

How about some real testing, dyno numbers, controlled MPG / power testing done by an independent testing facility?

Once again not trying to be overly skeptical but how many Slick 50 type products have we seen that were all marketing hype?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Not trying to be too skeptical but isnt a crosshatch cylinder wall pattern of grooves needed to hold oil on the cylinder wall for lubrication? Its enough that you can actually see and feel it on a properly honed cylinder. The cylinder wall can be TOO smooth or glazed for proper operation and oil control.

"Testimonials" are usually very subjective rather than objective due to people wanting a certain result.

How about some real testing, dyno numbers, controlled MPG / power testing done by an independent testing facility?

Once again not trying to be overly skeptical but how many Slick 50 type products have we seen that were all marketing hype?

This is what I am asking, all there is is testimonials. I do not have a technical background to understand what some of the pro's and cons are before using this. I am familiar with cross hatching and its importance as I had huge problems having the FRM sleeves on my Honda block honed before getting the block sleeved.

The F450 we put it in that noticed improved milage tracks their mpg religiously as they have to account for travel, expenses etc. the company owner is a stickler for it. There is varriances due to different types of driving, a combination of city and highway, idling etc, but after 10,000km accounting for these discrepencies they still noticed improved milage. With our shop vehicles we weren't really monitoring milage improvements or engine performance but they did seen to run quieter and more smooth. I would love to see some hard data before or even after trying this, but unfortunately I dont have to facilities or abilities to test this properly which as I said before is why I am here asking if someone has a technical background that can advise me, or if another member has used it with any success. My daily comute is approximately 3 miles one way, my vehicle idles warming up longer most days in winter than I actually spend on the road driving, so I find it very hard to effectively monitor fuel milage.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll stick to my Zmax.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

WHAT!! Wait, Slick 50 isn't real??
Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by fpb111
WHAT!! Wait, Slick 50 isn't real??
I gave up on that after Carroll gave me his personal guarantee on Zmax. Up to this date I still have no clue on what that guarantee was.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have time to read more about this right now, but it seems interesting. From the quick glance I did, reminds me of this stuff http://www.microblueracing.com/ I heard a while back that Matt Kenseth uses micro blue in his race car. Not sure if it's true or not.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
Has anyone ever heard of this Cerma Advanced Lubrication Tech? We recently became an authorized dealer at my shop and I am tempted to try it out in my P-car.

Supposedly it is an oil additive you, you add 2oz at the time of an oil change, run it for 2000km (1200miles) and change the oil again. Supposedly it is unlike most other additives because it creates a metal/ceramic coating on on your engine cylinder sleeves that will help your pistons run smoother (less resistance) which means more power and better fuel milage etc.

It was originally developed for Military use so that military vehicles could travel up to 100 miles while completely starved of oil. It was then developed for semi public use in racing applications with supposedly good results.

We have had it in quite a few vehicles now. Our Shop 2008 GMC 2500 Duramax with 235,000km. even though it was running fine, it really smoothed it out very quiet, it doesnt even shw any vibrations in the oil of our oil air freshener in it. We put it in our shop 2010 F-150 with 137,000km. Normally these trucks have issues with a 2 piece spark plug which tends to break. We changed them to 1 pieces but it always ran rougher/ sounded like a diesel, with Cerma, it quieted back down. My cousin added it to his 4.8L BMW X5 tranny which has problems with notchy shifts it also smoothed that out.

What impressed us the most was that we added it to one of the trucks belonging to our biggest fleet account. it was a 2004 Ford F450 6L diesel with almost 500,000km on it. it regularly tows 40,000+lbs for exteneded distances, it is a very worn engine, smokes like a bitch, doesnt have a lot of power, injectors pop all the time, missfires when cold etc. we added this, and it has been over 10,000km since we changed the oil after adding Cerma, it starts nice, doesn't smoke, has regained some of its power, and has been getting 10%+ better fuel milage

I am very tempted to try this in my P-car but am wondering how others feel about this? It has had awesome results in other vehicles, but they aren't Porsche's My engine runs pretty smooth, slight vibration at idle (I have changed motor mounts), it smokes a touch at start up when it is cold, but nothing to really complain about. I like the idea of what Cerma can do, but I don't want to doing any harm to my motor.

Here is a link to the product

CERMA Advanced Lubrication Technologies
How one can expect to create a secure molecular bond between ceramic nano particles in oil when the temperature doesn't/can't approach anywhere near the point at which ceramic melts/fuses is beyond me.

If by your shop you mean an automotive repair shop do you really think any normal IC engine can run 100 miles with no oil after using this stuff? And 2 ounces, used in a previous oil fill for just 1200 miles?

Also, how in the world would any oil additive cure all the symptoms of the
"2004 Ford F450 6L diesel with almost 500,000km engine"?

Which brings me to this: Why do you need any testimonials? Reads like based on what you've done the stuff does everything but cure the common cold.

Use it in your P-car, and good luck.

A bit of advice: Do not let the engine run out of oil.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slick 50

Yeah - I'd want to see dyno run before and after adding the stuff - but highly unlikely it can permanently bond to the metal (or even if that would be a good thing)

I did put Slick 50 in my '86 VW GTI ... and noticed significant oil temp drop going over the highway 17 Santa Cruz mountain hills ... at the time I believed there was a short-term (at least) effect here. But sold the car at 30K miles and don't know if it would have had any appreciable effect on engine life - versus just doing reular oil changes with a good dino oil .....

Perhaps original poster can take the readings from a couple of cars he adds the additive too - but I still probably would not add it to a Porsche engine ....At 250K miles on my truck - how much more damage am I going to do anyway ? ......
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
alpine003
Banned

Seriously, if the OP did a 5k Oil Analysis and put this stuff in the next oil change and did another oil analysis at 5k again, theoretically, if this stuff did provide some sort of advanced lubriction, we would technically see lower numbers on some of the metals.

Of course this wouldn't be 100% scientific since driving environment and other variables would come into play from one oil change to the next but it would be interesting to see if there were any significant differences.

If there was a lower amount of metals found, it would be interesting to see that 5k interval extended to 10k or 15k with the additive and see if metal levels remained the same as the 5k non additive oil analysis. Could also be interesting to see if TBN numbers were also affected.

Quick Reply: CERMA Lubricant