Sponsored by:

DIY Spotless Car Wash Filter System

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
Exactly why I wash mine with Unicorn tears. Sometimes I feel bad punching them in the face to produce the tears but it is for a Porsche.
I tend to shed unicorn tears every time I see your avatar.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

This is a great idea. I have both the Mr. Clean system & the Griot's Garage setup, but both are cumbersome & need overly expensive replacement filters. I also have the GE filter on my shower where it works well with minimal pressure loss. It is about 6 months old & is starting to have some water pressure loss, so I recently bought a replacement filter.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Question, What exactly does the GE filter claim to remove from the water?

I have the CRSpotless system (for over 10 years now) and it ionizes the water.

before you ask
Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
My non-scientific answer would've been "spots," but the product description on Amazon says this:

GXSM01HWW Features: -Filter system.-Tool-less filter change.-Each GE FXSCH filter gives you up to 6 months of filtered water. The filter should be changed after 6 months of use or 10,000 gallons, whichever comes first.-Reduces chlorine taste & odor Reduces Particulates Rust Reduction Sediment Reduction Silt Reduction UV Resistant.-Fits standard 12'' shower head and pipe connections.-Maximum filtered water flow (gpm) is 2.5 minutes.-10,000 gallon capacity.-Feed Water Pressure (psi): 20 Min. - 125 Max..-Feed Water Temperature: 40-160 F.-Plumbing Connections: standard 1/2'' shower head and pipe connections. Specifications: -The GE GXSM01HWW Inline Shower Water Filter can help improve your skin and hair by removing harmful minerals and sediments from your shower water. Experience softer skin and hair, and less dandruff with the GE Inline Shower Filter.-The GE GXSM01HWW reduces chlorine taste & odor for clean, healthy water.-The GE GXSM01HWW is easy to install on standard 1/2'' shower head and pipe connections. Dimensions: -Overall dimensions: 4'' H x 3'' W x 2'' D.

No mention of how effective it is at removing minerals. Also, that max flow of 2.5 gpm looks a bit low if the output is to a pressure washer.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you ask
Went to Home Depot yesterday to check it out. It does NOT de-ionize your water. It removes sediment, chlorine, rust. So my guess would be your car may or may not dry spot free. I'm guessing worst case scenario would be at least an improvement. Also I noticed Home Depot carries a much larger version of the same thing that has 3/4 inch fittings. This should allow a hookup to your hose without all the additional fittings. It was only $20 and a two pack cartridge was $10-12. I generally use a leaf blower to dry 90% of my car then a quick wipe down with a micro fiber towel to dry the remaining drops. But seeing I also wash my wifes Subaru Impreza(black) and my own BMW 328 Xi Wagon(Dark Grey) picking up this filter might not be such a bad idea.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:28 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah, I figured since my CRSpotless was a bit more expensive...and probably works a lot better...LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did this, all plastic part from HomeDeposit and it leaked mercilessly...with plumbers tape, etc.. wasn't worth the trouble, IMHO-

and yes Gater...your avatar is quite tragic ....
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smichael
Found this post which puts a GE shower water filter on your garden hose for a spotless wash. Easy to do, approx. $25, all parts at Home Depot.

http://www.mnmazda.com/forum/showthr...re-water-spots!)
Just finished my install & hosed clean some of the windows on my house.
This is going to be great, I'll save $5. a month in quarters + gas going to the spray wash to use the final rinse. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Just finished my install & hosed clean some of the windows on my house.
This is going to be great, I'll save $5. a month in quarters + gas going to the spray wash to use the final rinse. Thanks for posting!
Update: The GE works pretty well for 6 washes then pressure & mineral filtering declines until you replace filter. If you pull the hose at a right angle to the filter it breaks the plastic connector easily. Searched online & found the best shower filter is made by Aquasana, best mineral & chlorine removal, least pressure drop, longest lasting filter, & metal fittings. $40 to your door.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:10 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just use Optimum No Rinse enough for 64 gallons of wash is under $20 on amazon
I mix it in a 2 gal pump sprayer and use maybe 1.5 quarts to wash the car
No muss, no fuss, no spots
takes maybe 15 min complete
Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
For me I just accepted the fact that I need to go over it with QD as I'm drying the car.
^^This. Was a game-changer once I realized QD gives a little extra time to dry and avoid water spots and streaking on even a relatively sunny day.

And, the Griot's Quick Detail smells awesome. I wish they made an aftershave.

That said, may try to the filtered option linked to as well. Cheap enough that it can't hurt.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhitlow
^^This. Was a game-changer once I realized QD gives a little extra time to dry and avoid water spots and streaking on even a relatively sunny day.
My latest favorite and very economical is to mix in 10-15% of Duragloss Aquawax into my already premixed Ultima Waterless Wash Plus, diluted to QD level. This not only cleans but acts as a booster agent to any wax/sealant/coating that may already be there.
If you buy the bigger bulk bottles, this comes out to less than $1.00/bottle for QD+wax. Can't beat that.

This way I don't feel guilty liberally using my QD all the time.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

before you ask
How long did the filter last?
Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
Just use Optimum No Rinse enough for 64 gallons of wash is under $20 on amazon
I mix it in a 2 gal pump sprayer and use maybe 1.5 quarts to wash the car
No muss, no fuss, no spots
takes maybe 15 min complete
I was really iffy on this when my detail guy suggested - and swore by it.

Now I use it between major washes if the car is just dirty or got caught in the rain. Works as advertised.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR201.../dp/B00D8DR0AO
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Crazy_Ivan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
Exactly why I wash mine with Unicorn tears. Sometimes I feel bad punching them in the face to produce the tears but it is for a Porsche.
Actually, Unicorn semen is more effective and more animal friendly. You just have to know how to do it right

Quick Reply: DIY Spotless Car Wash Filter System