Sponsored by:

spark plugs '04 (basically '02+)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
dinodog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoda888
Dinodog and Mark I, where are you guys looking up (cross-referencing) the NGK plugs from? The number I pulled was from the NGK web-site. I was actually very surprised that they had the 40th AE car listed.

Looking at Pelican's site, they only list a plug difference for Turbo vs. normal m96 motors. No difference listed for the x51 package.

I just looked on the ngk website for plugs for a non-40th AE car. Interesting that there are a lot more plugs listed (6 choices) than for the 40th AE. Also, if I recall, all the plugs for the standard m96 are colder plugs! (6 instead of 7 for the 40th AE car -- lower number equals colder plug right? or do I have it backwards?!)

Hmm, apparently higher number = cooler plug. Which makes sense, as I'd assume the x51 motors would run hotter. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...k_plugs/p2.asp
YODA, I am also impressed that the NGK site had a listing for the x-51 optioned cars. You might want to double check that the NGK recommended plug has the correct heat range cross referenced with the original factory fitted plug. Have you checked with a dealer to see what the current recommended plug is for your motor? That might be a good starting point that you could cross reference off of
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

DONE!

Long story short, I ended up putting the NGK BKR7EQUP in my car. This according to NGK is specific to the 40th AE edition (x51?). I even called and talked to NGK about it.

Looks like the plugs were never replaced in my car. They looked to be the original Beru plugs.

Did the Gundo Hack as well, went with 1.5". Thinking maybe I should have went up to 1.75 or 2"! Definitely a "burble" at startup. The exhaust noise is more for the outside than the occupants of the inside. Oh well. Wanted a little bit of noise, but not too much for fear of the noise police at Laguna.

I'll upload some pictures later on. Need to take a shower now!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just roll down your windows and you'll appreciate the burble, or open the sunroof.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Yoda, Sounds like everything came together perfectly (fresh plugs, exhaust mod results = increase sound on the outside, quiet on the inside). Live large and enjoy! All the Best!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM
yoda888
Racer

Here are some pictures (and video if it works):

What's this cable for? This is on the driver's side under/beneath the taillight.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 648
Size:  91.5 KB

The reason I took everything apart! NGK vs. the OE Beru.
Name:  image4.jpeg
Views: 676
Size:  80.9 KB

No muffler!
Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 655
Size:  131.2 KB

Gundo Hack.
Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 662
Size:  101.9 KB

Back on the car!
Name:  image5.jpeg
Views: 625
Size:  42.7 KB

Folks, what's the easiest way to upload a video?
Attached Images      

Last edited by yoda888; 03-09-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Video doesn't work!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
yoda888
Racer

Thanks!

Yes, it does feel good to accomplish the DIY. However it took a lot longer than I had anticipated. Putting everything back together was a lot quicker!

I'd be interested to hear a 996 with bigger gundo pipes to see what the sound differences are. Mine is much more subtle. Wonder if my wife will notice! On cold start she'll notice for sure. You can't tell when you're cruising on the highway for sure though. Only when you get on it!

Originally Posted by Mark I
Yoda, Sounds like everything came together perfectly (fresh plugs, exhaust mod results = increase sound on the outside, quiet on the inside). Live large and enjoy! All the Best!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on my way to the mechanic Thursday to have a leak down test done on my engine since I'm going to sell the engine, on the way the car started running really rough, then the "engine check light" came on. Ugh! Turned out that the original plugs at 64,000 miles were toast. Since I was already paying for the leak down test I had only to pay for the plugs.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch Leland
I was on my way to the mechanic Thursday to have a leak down test done on my engine since I'm going to sell the engine, on the way the car started running really rough, then the "engine check light" came on. Ugh! Turned out that the original plugs at 64,000 miles were toast. Since I was already paying for the leak down test I had only to pay for the plugs.
That worked out good. Mitch why are you selling the engine?

Quick Reply: spark plugs '04 (basically '02+)