Sponsored by:

996 window/door issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
peterbeans
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 window/door issue

Hope someone can help before my alarm drains again!

The interior lights in the doors on my 996 won't go off. I'm sure the problem is the passenger door as the window won't go up that inch it should when the door is shut. The double beep when i attempt to lock it suggests it thinks a door is still open. I thought it may have stemmed from the battery going completely flat, I've just put a new battery on and attempted to reset the windows but to no avail. Driver's side- fine, passenger not.
There doesn't appear to be any debris.
Is it a question of a microchip/sensor in the door?

Please help!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:05 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Peter;
It is a common issue with these 996s.
The double deep means that there is a fault in the alarm system and as you suspect, it is related to your passenger door faulty lock or latch microswitch. The fact that your window misbehaves is the perfect indicator for the latch being faulty.
I had a similar issue with the same door but my door interior lights would not come on when I opened the passenger door but they did if I opened the driver's door.
I'm fairly certain that if you replace your passenger door lock, you will resolve both light and window issues affecting your alarm system.
When everything is working right, the alarm system flashes the rear/front direction lights twice when you lock and once when you unlock or vice-versa but it won't double-beep at you and that's for certain.
To replace the lock, remove door panel (see renntech.org), remove enough of vapor barrier to gain access to door lock connector (a bitch to disconnect. I got it with a flat s/driver slid from top of connector) which is inside the door held by the 2 black 8mm triple square fasteners facing rear on the door frame. The lock comes out from the inside after you removed a blanking plate held by 3 fasteners, and there should be a procedure available at renntech to describe how it is done; at least that's where I got mine.
The door lock is in the $200 to $300 range and the vapor barrier is short of $80. if yours is in as a terrible shape as mine was, as it needed to be replaced.
Tell me if you need more details! Good luck!
Martin
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 AM
peterbeans
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Martin
Thanks for your help, I'll change the lock and hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Much appreciated, PB
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Before you go replacing parts, can you run diagnostics to make sure where the fault is? PST2 PIWIS or durametric.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 PM
agerada
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I have the same problem on my car. The Durametric returns the following codes. Can anybody help with pointing out the actual component/s which need replacing:

60: Central locking limit position Lock not reached
47: Control locking synchronization
1: Door(s) secured and terminal 15 on
44: Alarm actuation by driver's door
61: Central locking limit position Unlock not reached

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Before you go replacing parts, can you run diagnostics to make sure where the fault is? PST2 PIWIS or durametric.
Thats a good idea before you start tearing stuff apart. The correct durametric tool can pin point the fault. Might be worth ringing a good Porsche dealer and getting them to pin point the fault for you. Thats what I did. I fixed 3 problems in one clean sweep for $80... Inside lights, petrol door locking, and door lights. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hurdi, did you post any pics or details about yours? Just curious for info purposes.

Also OP dont forget to look at reg while you have door panel off.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agerada;
You seem to have a locking issue with your driver's door, which leads to a locking mechanism issue or a deficient door lock, IMHO. I don't believe the regulator is at play here. My 2 cents!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe the regulator is at play here. My 2 cents!
Uhm, I didnt say it was. I posted to look at Reg while he was in there. For PM purposes of course. Good time to inspect all window/door parts while panel is off. No PM inside the door is a factor in reg and other parts failing, according to Bentley.

Last edited by KrazyK; 02-26-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM
agerada
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks JMLavoie, you are right, on mine I suspect the locking mechanism as well as the handle micro switches as the window does not always lower when I pull on either of the inside or outside handles.

Quick Reply: 996 window/door issue