996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Borescoping requires positioning the pistons, I personally can`t comment on how that is done but pulling the spark plugs does not mean an engine drôp. But if your replacing plugs anyways it`s saves on labour rates since they they are removing them all ready.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my water pump bearing failed, I got a knocking sound. Sounded horrible.
Don't drive with a knocking sound until you know where it comes from.
The Dealer took one listen to mine and diagonosed a failing water pump.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSadistic
Yes the noise gets faster with rpm, and it seems to momentarily disappear with an increase in rpm but as the rpm idles the noise is back, and I wouldn't call it a soft tick. Does the motor need to come out to change spark plugs, coils and check with boroscope? I already ordered dt40 oil, oil filter, gas filter, air filter so I will get a set of spark plugs and coils. What are the best plugs to use? Concerning the coils, is it better to get from dealer or does someone make a better aftermarket set. Thanks Again
I'd go OEM -- check with SunCoast for your parts. I'd isolate first before
wasting money on R&R.

You can access all plugs from underneath car without dropping engine,
you might find it easier to pull wheels.

99's do have some block issues. So check you oil for coolant and vis-versa.
You might isolate which cylinder it is coming from by either listening with a
stethscope on each cylinder area -- or try pulling the connector
to each coil pack until you hear it change of go away.

It is still possible that its a chain tensioner and the chain tension is loose.
they could have bled down and/or their internal orings have dried.
The chains can slap the tensioner rails or the case in extreme situations.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

If you decide that you won't do harm to the engine by restarting it, try running it without the belt - that will answer some questions before randomly throwing parts and cash at it.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
TeamSadistic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dt40 oil and service parts haven't arrived yet, but I went ahead and removed the belt and did a QuickStart and run and the noise was still there. I had two local older mechanics listen to the noise and they both said independently that it sounds like the lifters. Hopefully, that's all it is. One recommended using a Lucas oil stabilizer to help with the lifters, but I think that Porsche doesn't recommend additives to th oil. If that isn't recommended does porsche recommend any additives that might help?
Thanks again. Can't wait to drive it like a stole it.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

How long did you run it this time?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I doubt it is recommended by Porsche -- but you can try some seafoam to see if the lifters quiet down
and then change the oil out.

There have been cases where the lifters wear against the lifter tray -- I haven't seen that.

But since you are dealing with a car that has sit for a while it's possible it's a lifter that has gone soft
or caught some debris and isn't pressuring up just quite right.

Mike
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
TeamSadistic
Intermediate

Only ran the car for a couple seconds, without the belt, no more than 30 seconds at most.
Just waiting on the oil change to see if it is in fact the oil and lifters. Called Champion Porsche in fort lauderdale where the car was purchased and they wanted 20g's for a new motor, wtf. I could buy another car for that.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

The dt40 oil and service parts haven't arrived yet, but I went ahead and removed the belt and did a QuickStart and run and the noise was still there. I had two local older mechanics listen to the noise and they both said independently that it sounds like the lifters. Hopefully, that's all it is. One recommended using a Lucas oil stabilizer to help with the lifters, but I think that Porsche doesn't recommend additives to th oil. If that isn't recommended does porsche recommend any additives that might help?
Thanks again. Can't wait to drive it like a stole it.
Porsche doesn't recommend any oil additive. Some sources have told me that Swepco 502 additive seems to quiet down engines upon startup that aren't used much. I tried the stuff a few oil changes in both cars but noticed no difference. But my cars see use every other day or so.

Really if the engine doesn't quiet down to some acceptable level with the right oil in it about the only "additive" that can help at this point is money. Add money to the tech's hand and get the engine fixed. It's sick.

If the noise is a lifter that has bled down and needs to pump up again all you can do is make sure the oil is fresh and of the right type and start and run the engine. Let it idle until it is about as warm as it will get idling.

Then you can raise the rpms to say 3K and hold for a few seconds then release the gas pedal and let the engine return to idle.

At 3K rpms the oil pressure should be near max and with the oil hot (or nearly hot) and if a lifter has just bled down this ought to (no guarantees!) have the lifter pumped and quiet.

I'd be a bit concerned if the lifter wasn't quiet before it came to the 3K rpm step.

However, there have been a few cases where this last step, or something like it is required. I would not drive the car though preferring to do this on the driveway -- or on a lift with a tech under the car giving a listen for any sounds of something getting worse -- and with the doors open and so I can hear the engine very well. If at the first sign of some other noise or the engine starts acting up you can shut off the engine very quickly. If you are on the road you might due to safety reasons not be able to shut the engine of quick enough or you might be tempted to limp the car home or restart the engine after shutting it off.

But you need to be sure what you hear is from the lifter area and not from some other place. If the noise is from some other place it can arise from a problem that more engine running can only make worse.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 AM
TeamSadistic
Intermediate

This is driving me crazy, wish there was a Porsche tech on island that was familiar with this car. Oil and service parts should be here next week, will change and see what happens. Also will look for Indy in south Florida that I might be able to fly in and let check car rather than shipping car back to dealer. Got some price quotes from them, just don't understand why anyone would own a Porsche once warranty is finished, I could buy another low mileage 996 for one of the quotes. The saga continues.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Only ran the car for a couple seconds, without the belt, no more than 30 seconds at most.
There you go. You didn't run it long enough as some have suggested. It's funny seeing people worry over potentially nothing due to all this fear going around.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
There you go. You didn't run it long enough as some have suggested. It's funny seeing people worry over potentially nothing due to all this fear going around.
That's what I think too. Reinstall the belt the waterpump is spinning and let it warm up. Don't worry about changing the oil, just let it idle and get nice and warm.
Posting what if scenarios is easy, anyone can list every possible reasons for a noise and this can scare the crap out of those that aren't mechanically inclined. If the engine wasn't knocking before it was parked then its extremly unlikely that something broke from sitting.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As you've indicated Imo000, the lifters can take some time to get them working 100% again. I've had this happen to me as well after letting my car sit for 2-3 months in which the oil all drained to the bottom and needed to be circulated enough in and around the lifters for them to work 100% again. In my case, I think it was around 10 min or idling/revving.

I wouldn't panic just yet...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With all the focus on the oil, I was just wondering about the quality of the gas in the tank if the car had been sitting that long...
Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Odds are high that the only real problem is that it has been sitting for a year and a half. Some ticking at idle is pretty normal for these cars. Especially when cold.

Do what others have said. Put in the right oil with no additives. Also, I hope you put fresh gas in it. You don't was to shellack your fuel system. Start the car and let it get good and warm. See if it gets quieter.

If so, you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise