Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

treating leather dashboards...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a product like leatherique work on coated leather? I was about to order some.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socalgt3
Would a product like leatherique work on coated leather? I was about to order some.
Honestly, I wouldn't waste the money. Leatherique is a fantastic product if used for the right application. It is a rejuvenating oil and simply will not have any effect on coated leather. It works amazing on older, uncoated leather and I highly recommend it.

I have shelves full of interior and exterior products. I test them as soon as they hit the market and some before they are even released. I have come to the conclusion that coated products simply need cleaning and surface protection.

Have you ever spilled water or a liquid on your car seat? Notice how i just beads and doesn't soak in? Same effect leather treatment cremes and gels will have...sitting on the surface collecting even more dirt and dust.

Like a poster said earlier in the thread, detailing questions are like asking what kind of oil to use. Lots of opinions. Just dont overthink it and realize what kind of surface you are dealing with and go from there. Keeping it vaccumed and wiped down with a damp towel is a must. Treatment for UV is an option.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by socalgt3
That products original purpose was to restore old or worn out leather and/or do a color change.

It instructs you to actually sand down your leather first before application(most likely to get rid of the top clear coat layer).

I view that as more of a restoration product than a maintenance product.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Thank you all for the advice. My light grey leather seats are very shiny compared to the rest of the interior. Any way I can reduce the shine? I have been using products like Lexol which cleans but does not do the job.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Are they shiny from a product application or shiny from wear? Either way, I would clean them thoroughly with a mild all purpose cleaner. Do a test spot first. After they are free of product, dirt and body oils you will probably (hopefully) be left with a matte finish. Then you can apply whichever protectant you would like. If applying 303 Aerospace, you can make it as shiny or matte as you like. If you wipe it on and leave as is, it will be more semi gloss. If can apply it then knock down the finish with a micro fiber towel and be left with a more natural, factory look.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

So, if these new leathers are coated does that mean that they won't "breathe" like older, uncoated leather? That is one of the best things about leather upholstery, comfort, prticularly on a hot day.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Coated leathers dont breathe like traditional leather. Notice how stiff our 996 seats feel and look? I wish we could make them supple like an old catchers mitt but so it goes. Some sports/luxury cars have really nice, soft leather but are still coated. They have the plastic feel to them.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this clear coat on leather wear off?

I've been using the 303 on the dash and door leather, but Lexol on the seats. Seems the seats are softer after Lexol is applied, I have the supple leather. Is it just product sitting on top of clear coat?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

I've never heard of this 303 stuff before, think I'll have to pick some up due to the overwhelming positive response about it.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

303 is great stuff for vinyl and rubber as well. Use it on door seals, tires, interior trim...

I usually find it at marine supply stores like West Marine. I believe it was originally developed for boat applications
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndyK
Does this clear coat on leather wear off?

I've been using the 303 on the dash and door leather, but Lexol on the seats. Seems the seats are softer after Lexol is applied, I have the supple leather. Is it just product sitting on top of clear coat?
The clear coat will definitely wear off over time, especially the bolster or wherever your body rubs. Depending on the year, 996's can have a more supple feel to the leather. For instance, my 2000 is harder compared to an 02 or 03. The leather itself is still coated but has different grade.

The Lexol is sitting on the surface but it is actually softening the clear coat, to a point, that makes the leather feel softer. You are not actually putting product into the hide itself. Working with supple leather to begin with is to your advantage. Much better than my rock hard seats.

Once the coating is worn off, you may notice that the color of the hide will start to diminish. There are dyes that can be used to essentlially repaint the seats. I repainted my 944 seats years ago and it works rather well.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
socalgt3
Instructor

Gator996, which mild all purpose cleaner do you recommend? I tried using some Lexol and there is dirt and grime removed by the towel. However, the leather esp on the side bolsters still is very shiny and somewhat hard when compared to the center console leather of the same color. Thank you for all your help!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

For an over the counter product, try this:

You should be able to find it at most parts stores. If not, let me know and I can pass on some products that you can order online. Some of the shine you see may be the surface being worn...kind of like an old leather jacket that gets shiny with wear. A good cleaning should make some headway though. Once you clean it then treat it, the surface should even out gloss wise and look symetrical all over.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I've never heard of this 303 stuff before, think I'll have to pick some up due to the overwhelming positive response about it.
303 has been around awhile and I would say one of the original high end water based protectant and something that is readily available. There are several others that do a great job as well. Generally majority of the new synthetic water based formulas will repel dirt and offer some level of UV protectant.

My current stash comprises of Optimum Protectant Plus FWIW. Leaves nice satin finish without the gloss which I prefer. The OptiBond Tire Gel works great too for those that don't like the shiny stuff.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Edit: Just be careful to not rub too hard with whatever you are using. You may see color start to come off on your towel, especially in the very worn areas. Take your time and be gentle. It will take several applications most likely.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: treating leather dashboards...