Sponsored by:

Preventive maintenance ? Other than IMS/water pump/AOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
Rather than just arbitrarily replacing the water pump, you may want to remove the serp belt and spend a moment verifying whether you can wiggle the water pump pulley from side to side. If the bearing is starting to go, you'll get some side-to-side play. If it isn't leaking and has no play, you're fine. It sounds like you've decided to replace the pump, but you need some way to gauge whether it (or its replacement) is starting to wear...otherwise, you'll just be chucking water pumps at it.

Once the bearing starts losing integrity and allows the shaft to rock from side to side, the impeller blades (as you know) get sheared off and may get pumped throughout the cooling system, so this is a part that needs regular observation. Once the shaft starts to loosen up, replace it. If a leak develops where the shaft exits the pump, replace it. If neither of these are true, drive it. Rapidly. With gusto.
+996 and while you're at it, check the color of the coolant and think about flushing it. If you go the diagnostic route of the above, might as well do a alkaline test on the coolant to see if it even warrants replacing. I say look at the color of coolant as if they used the standard green stuff, there's a chance that it could be the phosphate version and prematurely wear your waterpump seals and other components in which case you'd want to flush it regardless and not take that chance.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As one who has had a water pump fail while driving I can assure you it is much easier and cheaper to replace it at your leisure than it is to miss several hours work while you wait for the wrecker to tow your vehicle to the shop to have it replaced or home to replace it yourself, in addition to the inherent hassle that goes along with that scenario. By all means check the bearing as described but since you don't know the pump's history it might be prudent to "start from scratch" with your maintenance plans, assuming the wear items need replacing. My two cents...
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Transaxle is one I have not done yet but am contemplating even though all is running fine. When are you guys replacing that?
Porsche says every 120k. I did mine at 96k, no idea if it had been done by a previous owner or not. No significant improvement in shift quality, so it was obviously doing its job.

Originally Posted by sandersd
By all means check the bearing as described but since you don't know the pump's history it might be prudent to "start from scratch" with your maintenance plans, assuming the wear items need replacing. My two cents...
Yup. Far easier to do it as preventative maintenance on your own terms. When I buy cars I always catch them up on any scheduled maintenance that I don't have records for, as well as any common issues that could potentially leave me stranded. As someone that actually drives their Porsche, preventative maintenance is far cheaper than it breaking down in another state.

Quick Reply: Preventive maintenance ? Other than IMS/water pump/AOS