Sponsored by:

IMS, RMS and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 AM
cpepper95129
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking IMS, RMS and other stuff

I bit the bullet and while having my clutch replaced I did the LN Engineering IMS upgrade along with a new RMS. Also while things were out did the transmission mount. New single mass flywheel installed as well. Peace of mind and wow a new clutch is nice, didn't realize how overdue I was.

What does the board suggest for breaking in a clutch? thoughts?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently had my clutch replaced at Flat 6 Innovations along with the IMS, RMS, etc. I didn't know what my clutch was supposed to feel like prior to the change but damn, what a difference!

My way of breaking it in was to find some backroad twistes after the hauler unloaded it and went to have fun. All is good with the clutch and the car feels like new.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought my car had poor clutch engagement characteristics. After pulling the clutch, it was very obvious that the the engagement characteristics were because of wear.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
cpepper95129
Advanced

yeah it's really nice, prior to getting the clutch my car was like other stick shifts I have driven when it came to ease of shifting but now it's just amazing, completely worth it.

I really lucked out because my RMS failed and I have a warrantee so my RMS, IMS, and transmission mount were covered along with the labor associated. I really just paid for the clutch itself, I got off easy. My IMS was just about to fail too, I saw it after and it was just holding on. Luckily no engine damage.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Meares
Racer

what did the clutch feel like while you were engaging it? mine has 109,000 miles on it and it feels a little "grainy"when i let it out....i'm about to change all the things you are (not the flywheel), as well...in about 2 weeks....did you change the shift fork or that white plastic looking bushing? can't find it on suncoast....saw it yesterday..are there any other things, you'd recommend...like little stuff....small bushings, etc.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 PM
cpepper95129
Advanced

@Meares, I can't really think of anything but your mechanic will likely finds odds and ends to replace. I really suggest considering a new flywheel. Not necessarily a light weight one like I got, though you can REALLY tell the difference BTW, but mating a new clutch with an old flywheel is riskier IMO and worth getting a replacement while you are in there. But that's my opinion totally respect not doing it too. My car only has 51K miles on it after 10 years.....(I'm the second owner and changing that quickly the past couple years.) You will LOVE it when you put the new one in there.

Looking over my invoice and keep in mind I had the IMS done too so some of this may be related to that job but looks like
Pressure plate bolt, flywheel bolt, micro encapsulated case bolt, IMS shaft cover, updated bolt, aluminum seal ring, RMS, Aluminum seal ring updated for IMS shaft flange, IMS shaft O ring, transmission mount, clutch kit, lightweight billet aluminum flywheel, single row IMS bearing retrofit kit, clutch release level ball socket, guide tube release bearing, pan-head screw, spoiler drive mechanism (completely unrelated obviously to clutch or IMS, RMS work)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Meares
Racer

thanks...the clutch release level ball socket...guide tube......those are the things i'm looking for....i'm doing the ims as well...rms and LN signle row...
Old 02-03-2013, 04:48 PM
kdm
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Flat 6 replace the IMSB, RMS, clutch (not flywheel), water pump, low temp thermostat & plugs in April 2012. Car is a 1999 C2 with 59,000 miles at the time. No apparent problems - it was all preventative maintenance. They showed me the IMSB after it was pulled. The seal had started to fail so there was some oil inside, meaning it was in the early stages of potentially failing. Very pleased with the results and replacing the clutch was real plus. I didn't realize it before but it was a little jittery / sticky when first engaging before the replacement. Now it is very smooth. Also as with all their engine work they used Joe Gibbs DT 5/40 when they refilled the oil.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Meares
Racer

kdm...ok...my clutch feels a little rough or grainy when i let it out...like when you pull your foot backwards over some rough sand....best way to explain it.....BTW...i go through dothan to get to Carillon Beach....LOVE THE GULF!! you don't speed through there!! are the police still bad in dothan?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM
kdm
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the way my clutch was as well. I think you'll notice difference after it's replaced. Left it to JR and his group to decide if the flywheel needed to be replaced. Typically I don't think it does unless the clutch wear is so severe that it scores the fw.

Dothan police are about the same, however.... if you take Hwy 231 down to the Gulf you really need to watch all the small towns along the way. If the speed limit is 35 mph then don't push it. They love to prey on outsiders . Once you get there (the Gulf) it's great. Nothing like waking up in the morning, stepping out on to the balcony of your condo and looking out across all that blue water.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Meares
Racer

Originally Posted by kdm
Nothing like waking up in the morning, stepping out on to the balcony of your condo and looking out across all that blue water.

DAMN RIGHT!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Meares
Racer

that's what the dealer said...he said it'll be MUCH easier and smooth....i thought it was really easy to push in...but i'm used to aircooled stuff, garbage trucks and big blocks

Quick Reply: IMS, RMS and other stuff