Sponsored by:

Litronic bi-xenon retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Ksmith5rs
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Litronic bi-xenon retrofit

Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a 1999 Carrera 4 here in Cyprus, and have been having a blast getting to know the car. I ordered new DS2 bulbs as I know light output fades over time. I went to install them and noticed the wires for the Bi-xenon shutter. I have been exploring a retrofit of bi-xenon projectors, so great to see that someone had already been in there and upgraded. I would like to know if all I need to do it hook them up to the Hi-beam wires for operation? The car is a UK import so I guess the previous owner started the project and never finished since washers and self leveling are mandatory to pass M.O.T. I checked the shutter with a 9 volt battery and they work fine. I guess I would also need to remove the high beam bulbs. Thanks for any and all advice
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Uh oh, here we go again...

For the OP, the LItronics come with a somewhat quasi Bi-Xenon setup so all 996 with Xenons from the factory will have a moveable shutter in them. I can't say for sure if yours are aftermarket. Look for a porsche part number stamped on them somewhere.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Ksmith5rs
3rd Gear

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Neither the 99 nor 01 had/have a moveable lowbeam shutter/apperture cutoff. They have a FIXED low beam shading apperature and the entire assembly, headlight assembly is shifted upward into the high beam position using the auto leveling servomotor.

Op has an aftermarket bi-xenon system or Porsche supplied different for ROW.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Neither the 99 nor 01 had/have a moveable lowbeam shutter/apperture cutoff. They have a FIXED low beam shading apperature and the entire assembly, headlight assembly is shifted upward into the high beam position using the auto leveling servomotor.

Op has an aftermarket bi-xenon system or Porsche supplied different for ROW.
That is absolutely correct. It does indeed have a moveable assembly and not a shutter. I got mixed up with my BMW.

OP, can you clarify if the wires you found were not part of the main headlight plug wiring? All the wiring for the headlight assembly should be on one plug only. Any additional wiring apart from that plug is most likely aftermarket.

If you do have aftermarket projectors, I would locate the high beam wire from the main plug and cut the path to disable the factory servo motor and reroute it to the aftermarket servo motor connection instead.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Ksmith5rs
3rd Gear

Correct. this is an aftermarket assembly as it uses a H1 bulb instead of a DS2. Actually got them wired up to the high beams and on the right headlight the shutter works properly. On the left it hangs and takes about 3 cycles of the high beam switch for it to cycle back to low beam. Might be because of different ballasts for each light. Previous owner changed one. For now have swapped wires back to normal. Will hook up different ballasts of the same make and see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksmith5rs
Correct. this is an aftermarket assembly as it uses a H1 bulb instead of a DS2. Actually got them wired up to the high beams and on the right headlight the shutter works properly. On the left it hangs and takes about 3 cycles of the high beam switch for it to cycle back to low beam. Might be because of different ballasts for each light. Previous owner changed one. For now have swapped wires back to normal. Will hook up different ballasts of the same make and see if that makes a difference.
Assumption: HID bulb with H1 base.

The ballast only supplies the HV arc startup voltage (>25KV) and then the arc sustaining voltage, 70-80 volts. High beam voltage is what moves the shutter into the high beam position and is spring loaded, typically, to return to the low beam "shading" position.

You might want to check the solenoid/shutter/spring for "free" and easy up/down movement.

Quick Reply: Litronic bi-xenon retrofit