Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with these oil pressure senders??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default What's wrong with these oil pressure senders??

Just noticed today my oil pressure gauage reads 0.5 bar when key on engine off. I'm sure it reads around 0 when it's new. This is already the 3rd sender. The original one was replaced at 27k miles, then another one at 46k miles.

I hate it when I have to second guess my gauge reading. The gauge reads ~1.5 bar when fully warmed up (on motul 5w-40) and it goes up and down depending the rev just like before. So it seems to be working correctly.

I'm positive my gauage read ~0.5bar right before each sender failed....will see when this one will fail.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is on it's way out, and I seem to be reading about more of them failing lately. Seems like a pretty easy DIY though.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Invius
Mine is on it's way out, and I seem to be reading about more of them failing lately. Seems like a pretty easy DIY though.
Yea, what's so frustrating in my case is they keep failing every 20k/2yrs. Maybe it's just me being singled out....

Also, it's not rocket science. It's just a dumb pressure sensor! I'll definitely do a post-mortem on this one when it fails. The last two were replaced by the dealer under extended warranty.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine is flaking occasionally. It goes to full scale, then to zero - and then it starts working normally again for a few weeks.

I haven't even looked at it yet - it almost behaves like a loose connection.

My car has 200K kilometres though....and I've had it for 70K of those. This is the first time it's gone weird.

Gotta be cheap and easy to fix.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's doing the same thing Jasper's is, which is why I haven't rushed to replace it, but every time I get in and it registers 5 it gets moved up the list of things to fix.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer: They are junk. Even when they are brand new.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by soverystout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answer: They are junk. Even when they are brand new.
Can't agree more. Today it has decided to behave - back to 0 at key on engine off. I'd rather have it failed completely so I can rip it out of the car.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine is a little wacky too. I replaced it last summer and still it'll randomly jump from 3-5 bars. It's especially frightening on the track but since it does it all the time I know better.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had an engine that regularly killed oil pressure senders until I fitted a braided line to the block and had it rubber insulated mounted to the chassis. It was the vibrations of the engine that was killing it...

Mike
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine started acting up when i overfilled by maybe a half a quart. Before the overfill it was around 1.5 at idle and after it jump to around 3. So i suctioned the extra oil out but its still reading between 2 and 3.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
I have had an engine that regularly killed oil pressure senders until I fitted a braided line to the block and had it rubber insulated mounted to the chassis. It was the vibrations of the engine that was killing it...

Mike
That's interesting to know. My engine feels quite smooth both idling and on power though. I think these senders have a mind of their own Anyways, it's good to know that I'm not alone.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
That's interesting to know. My engine feels quite smooth both idling and on power though.
That's because you have motor mounts.

An engine makes a lot of vibration/sounds/movements by nature of the fact it's operating.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
That's because you have motor mounts.

An engine makes a lot of vibration/sounds/movements by nature of the fact it's operating.
Captain, that is obvious All cars have engine mounts but that doesn't mean you can't tell a smooth-running engine from a rough-running engine. Regardless, there are lots of other sensors on the engine and I don't recall any of them failing as frequently as the oil pressure sensor. Ppl have tire pressure sensors. Talking about vibrations, those must be beaten up pretty badly being on the wheels! Yet you don't hear those failing everyday.

Bottomline, no excuse for these to fail so frequently if correctly designed and manufactured.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
That's interesting to know. My engine feels quite smooth both idling and on power though. I think these senders have a mind of their own Anyways, it's good to know that I'm not alone.
I didn't say it was a Porsche flat 6 though, it was a regular inline 4. It had worked for 130.000km but when I transplanted into my Seven it broke three within a few hours of operation. Identical Bosch pressure sensor...

Mike
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

If it's anything like this, I totally get it Someone PLEASE confirm!

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ts-inside.html

It's a little machine all by itself.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with these oil pressure senders??