Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Simple 3-step complete coolant drain (updated w/ refill procedure + water pump tips)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Well done!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Sorry for the dumb question but how do you keep from exceeding 10 PSI when flushing out the old coolant?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Sorry for the dumb question but how do you keep from exceeding 10 PSI when flushing out the old coolant?
You can set the air regulator to 10PSI or less.

I just pressed a piece of rubber flap (hole in the middle to accept the air hose as shown in post #1) on the neck of the coolant tank that doesn't seal completely. I modulated the flow by allowing air to leak out partially. You don't need it to be air tight at all. Someone said they just use a plastic shopping bag to form a "seal" between the hose and the coolant tank neck.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:28 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Successful coolant drain using compressed air - thanks for the tip.

I'm the guy who doesn't bother with the 2 litres in the heater core but somewhere along the way someone talked about a crush washer on the drain plug.

There isn't one is there?

jasper
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Cool! I think the drain plug washer is #13 here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-00
Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Subscribed.

I'm adding a 3rd rad this spring, cleaning rads, low temp T-stat, WP be ready for TX summer.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Keep us posted!

Originally Posted by docmirror
Subscribed.

I'm adding a 3rd rad this spring, cleaning rads, low temp T-stat, WP be ready for TX summer.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Ahsai,

Great Great write up. 1 question however.

When preforming step 3 where you lower the hose, undo the coolant drain plug again, then shoot air into the lowered hose, do you do this with the big hose from the thermostat still removed? You make no mention of saying to reconnect it before step three.

What has be confused is you say in step 3 that "coolant will come out of the metal flange and drain plug", no mention of any coming out of the big hose since it would I imagine if it were still disconnected, so there I assume it is reattached before step 3.

But then you say, "Now go and reconnect the two hoses and tighten the drain plug and you're done." So since you say reconnect "the two hoses, so now it sounds the big hose was still supposed to be disconnected during step 3 since you say connect "the two hoses" which would have to be the big hose and the one which hangs down.

Just want to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:22 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rolex11
Ahsai,

Great Great write up. 1 question however.

When preforming step 3 where you lower the hose, undo the coolant drain plug again, then shoot air into the lowered hose, do you do this with the big hose from the thermostat still removed? You make no mention of saying to reconnect it before step three.
Yes, with the big hose from the thermostat still disconnected. The steps have been optimized so no back tracking needed

What has be confused is you say in step 3 that "coolant will come out of the metal flange and drain plug", no mention of any coming out of the big hose since it would I imagine if it were still disconnected, so there I assume it is reattached before step 3.
No, the coolant will only come out of the drain hole and the metal flange on the passenger side because those are the two lowest points. The big hose off the thermostat goes UP then bends down to the radiators, whose coolant was emptied in step 2.

But then you say, "Now go and reconnect the two hoses and tighten the drain plug and you're done." So since you say reconnect "the two hoses, so now it sounds the big hose was still supposed to be disconnected during step 3 since you say connect "the two hoses" which would have to be the big hose and the one which hangs down.
That is correct.

Just want to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks.
Anytime!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:12 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai

The refill procedure was quite straightforward.
1) Vacuum the system down to ~27 PSIG shown by the gauage
This is a great write-up that I will be using in a few days to refill after my center radiator install. Only thing I caught which is pretty minor is the vacuum here is measured in inches of Mercury. So the above should be '~27" Hg'.

Otherwise very nice job and thanks for putting it together. Will make getting all the little voids filled with coolant much easier.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Good catch! Let us know how this works out for you. Too bad it won't let me go back and correct the typo. The post is too old for editing already.

Originally Posted by docmirror
This is a great write-up that I will be using in a few days to refill after my center radiator install. Only thing I caught which is pretty minor is the vacuum here is measured in inches of Mercury. So the above should be '~27" Hg'.

Otherwise very nice job and thanks for putting it together. Will make getting all the little voids filled with coolant much easier.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:21 PM
911mater
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahsai,, after 3 years of this great write up, it is still the best,, water pump, thermostat replaced,
thank you very much for your help,
Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911mater
Ahsai,, after 3 years of this great write up, it is still the best,, water pump, thermostat replaced,
thank you very much for your help,
Glad it helped and thanks for letting me know!
Old 09-03-2016, 03:25 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Ahsai, I just did my drain and LT thermostat this morning using your technique. Brilliant and SO easy. Worked a treat with minimal mess or fuss. Thanks again!!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Glad to hear it helped and thanks for letting us know!

Quick Reply: Simple 3-step complete coolant drain (updated w/ refill procedure + water pump tips)