996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo

Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Meares
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo

bought a new head unit and everything for Sirius from best buy....go into the installation stall and they can't do anything....apparently my 03 996 with the CDR23 is based on a fiber optic system and the installers at best buy don't know what to do and have told me there is nothing that can be done without rewiring the whole car....so...does anybody have an aftermarket stereo in their car? what kind? thx
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Meares
Racer

ok,searched a little longer and found the double DIN install threads......do i have to have a double DIN though?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Your 03 has the first year of the MOST fiber optic system. Upgrades are possible, but more complex than a Simple plug and play.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
clorigo
Instructor

You can convert your car to a double DIN by moving the AC controls to the lower portion (factory location). There are some good posts out there on this (I know because some day if like to do the same. Miss Bluetooth and Navi)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenwood KDC-X996. Absolutely love it! You can match the color to the interior lights almost perfectly. It has exceptional tuneability, pandora, iPod, hands free, Bluetooth, sirius XM ready... All for $200! It doesn't look gaudy, and crutchfield has a harness that will match the car perfectly whether you have Bose, standard, door speakers or not etc.

Edit: posted without reading entire post. Not sure how to overcome the fiber optic thing, but I'm sure it's not too difficult with the right adapters etc...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I am very interested to read your finding about the fiver optic problem
I also have a 2003 and I have never seen a way around it without rewiring and add new amp and all.
Not only the fiber optic make it impossible to use the factory amp, but on top of it, it seems the impedance of the speakers are also problematic to deal with.
Most people rip it all out.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Mercedes had a similar system and, though just for iPod, I ended up using the cd changed input. I think that is how the Dension system works.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this product from Nav-TV, this is the only interface I have seen that is supposed to interface with the porsche MOST fiber optic system. The downside is the price...for which you might as well as get a new and better amp.

LINK
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double din does not solve your most problem ... cheapest way would be to get cdr. Fixed.. there is a place in San Diego that does that .. else new amp and maybe gutting whole system required
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Kazual99
Pro

If the fiber optic system only feeds a signal to the amps and from the amp to the speakers are standard wires, the rewire is not complicated. You will need to consider a new amp to drive the 6 speakers.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am with Philooo on this, I have a 2004 (with Bose) and wanted to keep the Bose amp and speakers (with a Kenwood double din).
With the Fiber Optic Most system I believe I would have change the amp too - which makes it much harder to go back to original. You could keep the speakers but have to match their impedance (I think 2 ohms) with the new amp.
Please keep us informed how it goes.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed a double din unit last year (Pioneer AVIC 930bt) and had add the amp plus all new speakers. If you do not do the install yourself, I would not use Best Buy, Audio Expess or any other chain store because they do not have the experience to work on these cars.

You will have to bypass the MOST system, however the new sound compared to the OEM CDR is unbelievable. Plus it's great having Nav, Bluetooth, etc.

Also, look on eBay for the Euro Motorspeed site for the harnesses, bezels, cubby shelf, etc that you will need. Loi is the guy to talk to there and has lots of good info.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Simple. From 2003 onward:

To install a standard aftermarket head unit, regardless of size, you'll need to either:

- replace the amp as well. (Nothing else is required. Although many replace speakers, that's not necessary.)

- or install a conversion device that converts the head unit's analog signals in copper wire to the amp's digital fiberoptic signals (the above NAV-TV doesn't list the 996 as a compatible vehicle, but there are likely others).

Last edited by RF5BPilot; 01-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

It's not a single DIN vs. double DIN issue. It's a copper wires vs. fiber optic cables issue. As mentioned above, the fiber optics connect the headunit to the amps and CD-changer. The wiring to the speakers is traditional copper wire. That being said, the speaker impedance for the Bose system isn't compatible with aftermarket systems. I know that there is a MOST-HUR adapter available for the Cayenne that lets you connect an aftermarket headunit to the MOST system. I'm not sure if this adapter works with the 996.

I agree with the comments about having a "big box" store/chain install your system. I'd look for a specialty audio shop that has experience with Porsches. Also, the speakers are really the weakest link in the system that impact sound quality. New speakers make a huge difference.

Good luck with your upgrade!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
nymart
Instructor

I just completed doing this as my first mod to my 2004 C4S. I went with a single DIN Pioneer DEH-9400BH. Bluetooth, Pandora, 2 USB, HD Radio, and you can customize to 210,000 colors so it matches well. I replaced the amp with an Alpine MRX-V70 5 channel amp. You basically have to replace the head unit, amp and get an antenna adapter. If you want to keep the factory speakers then you have to do a little wiring if you have the BOSE system. The Subwoofer(s) are 1 ohm each so you must re-wire them in series to get 2 Ohm. I am running the Sub, Doors and Rears off of the Amp. The dash speakers I am running directly off the head unit. However, as the head unit cannot drive 2 ohm (which the dash speakers are) I re-wired them in series as well. I moved the Amp from next to the spare, up to where the 6 disc changer was. I removed the cd storage and replaced with another cubby and wired the 2 usb ports to the back of the cubby. I put the microphone for the phone in one of the switch blanks below the PSM. I'm happy with the results. Although many would argue that the BOSE speakers are not good (please don't turn this thread into that argument), I was really just looking for Ipod connectivity and a few other bells and whistles. Maybe I'll replace the speakers at some point but for now...I'm happy.

NOTE: I went through 3 antenna adapters before I tracked down the right one...It's from Crutchfield and it's this one...
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo