Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Then don't read it. Rude.
This is a technical forum. people look for accurate and relevant information. Not reading or putting him on ignore will not do a thing from stopping this kind of a long winded, jam pack posts. His replies are always drawn out, marathons with so much different scenarios that it confuses the hell out of pretty much anyone reading. When I was doing my research on engine tear down, I've noticed this and stopped reading his replies because they were useless and confusing. Now I'm a fairly good DIYer and can filter out nonsense from good suggestions but many others aren't. The only thing worst than not being able to find good info is misinformation.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Meares
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
^^^^Why the life story??? So much bable that all the relevant info (very little), gets lost in the sea of irrelevant monbo jumbo.

Keep it simple and to the point. This isn't Oprah's book of the month club.
THAT'S F'N funny!!!!!! LOVE it!!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
This is a technical forum. people look for accurate and relevant information. Not reading or putting him on ignore will not do a thing from stopping this kind of a long winded, jam pack posts. His replies are always drawn out, marathons with so much different scenarios that it confuses the hell out of pretty much anyone reading. When I was doing my research on engine tear down, I've noticed this and stopped reading his replies because they were useless and confusing. Now I'm a fairly good DIYer and can filter out nonsense from good suggestions but many others aren't. The only thing worst than not being able to find good info is misinformation.
RL is not just a technical forum. And you are just being rude.

In contrast to Macster, your advice is usually along the lines of "take it to a shop".

Thanks for that.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Nedster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question in regards to alignment. Porsche dealer is replacing the rear shocks on my car as part of the pre purchase agreement. Should they check the alignment after a repair like this? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
RL is not just a technical forum. And you are just being rude.

In contrast to Macster, your advice is usually along the lines of "take it to a shop".

Thanks for that.
You are dead wrong but whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest getting your alignment checked and compared with what porsche recommends. Just because tire wear is even, or feels like it handles fine does not mean the alignment is good. Alignment checks are recommended once a year for a reason, where I am from anyways because driving on ****ty roads aka pot holes bumpy roads, manhole covers, and other stuff will eventually throw out your alignment.

I check my alignment every time I change tires from summer to winter and always find that it is out slightly, more than what can be accounted for in roll out differences
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Imo000,
Please put Macster on Ignore.

Macster,
You have a pair of very unusal Porsche cars. There are many who will not agree with you on 911/996 (no personal experience with 986) tire wear being even across the tire if alignment is spot on factory setup. 32K on Turbo rears has to be close to a record.
23K miles. I typed 23K miles.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nedster
I have a question in regards to alignment. Porsche dealer is replacing the rear shocks on my car as part of the pre purchase agreement. Should they check the alignment after a repair like this? Thanks.
Ask the dealer.

If you hear "no" I would push for an alignment. Anytime suspension/steering hardware is R&R'd there's the very likely chance the alignment is upset.

If you need something else feel the tread of all 4 tires for any signs of feathering, or other surface characteristics that is a sign of tires not tracking true.

Be sure you get a before and after printout.

BTW, if the rear struts were shot this can have the rear tires cupped and they may cause vibration which can make the results of the strut replacement less than satisfactory. So feel those tires!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
23K miles. I typed 23K miles.
Sorry little dyslexia crept in there. 23k is still impressive for rears on a turbo.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

The tires have an impressive replacement cost so right from the outset of my time with my car I want to know the car is properly aligned so I can enjoy the car like I like to enjoy it and yet maximize tire life.

The best thing I have found is to ensure the alignment is correct. (Of course proper tire inflation pressure is important too.)

I can also state it is my experience even if the alignment is not out that bad that tire noise -- in my particular case front tire noise -- was so bad that I drove out of my way on a long road trip to get the car to a dealer thinking the front wheel bearings were going out. The bearings were found to be ok. Tire wear (scuffing) pointed to alignment issues. (The result of a few days earlier late at night when pulling into a hotel parking lot just bumping both front tires against the low edge of the sidewalk. My usual carefulness was undone by being just plain too tired. I should have stopped earlier than I did.)

Two thousand miles later -- all driven with the tire howl -- back at home I had the car aligned and this quieted the tires and extended the life of the front tires.

As for tire wear: My experience has been with a bad alignment -- yet with no signs at the steering wheel the alignment is bad -- a set of rear Turbo tires can be gone in 8K miles of driving that with a proper alignment with the same driving can have the tires lasting easily 2x to nearly 3x that number of miles.

It is second nature to me to avoid encounters with curbs or anything that can upset the car's alignment. This way I do not have to have the car aligned that often, only when the old tires' wear patterns indicate there's an alignment issue.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Nedster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
Ask the dealer.

If you hear "no" I would push for an alignment. Anytime suspension/steering hardware is R&R'd there's the very likely chance the alignment is upset.

If you need something else feel the tread of all 4 tires for any signs of feathering, or other surface characteristics that is a sign of tires not tracking true.

Be sure you get a before and after printout.

BTW, if the rear struts were shot this can have the rear tires cupped and they may cause vibration which can make the results of the strut replacement less than satisfactory. So feel those tires!

Thanks for reply. I actually already got a NO from a dealer, that's why i was double checking with you guys. I am gonna try hard to get one out of them, if nit i will just pay for it, i believe it's about $250. As far as checking old tires, it's too late, they were not Porsche spec (N4), so dealer replaced them before i picked up the car. I got brand new Pirellis out of the deal, so one more reason to make sure the alignment is ok. On my Alfa, when i bought it, the alignment was so bad that inside edge of the front tires was so worn out you could see the wires, while the outside still had about 70% thread left. The car went strait as as an arrow on the highway even at 160km/h and i never heard any noise. Wise to check that alignment.

Quick Reply: alignment with new tires?