Sponsored by:

Looking for some info on doing a coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM
jkcorradovr6
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some info on doing a coolant flush

Looking for any links or help on what is the best way to go about doing a coolant flush on a 996 3.4. I know they say Porsche coolant is lifetime, but I like to always make sure things are fresh. I've had my car a few years and have never done it.

Any help appreciated.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The search function will turn up numerous results (as will Google), but I posted some instructions here.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your a member of Renntech.org, which you should be if you own a 996, this link has a complete DIY with photos. Its a lot of work to get 5+ gallons out of the system and do it right. JK, if you need help, I will be glad to explain my DIY further.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...ant-flush-diy/

I didnt see anything about how to properly drain the system in the other link. Maybe I missed something.

Last edited by KrazyK; 01-17-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had 'all the time in the world' as I am retired and changed/ maybe/ partly changed mine. I dropped as much as I could from the coolant drain plug under the engine. Topped off the reservoir with tap water. Drove it to circulate the system. Just warmed it a bit. Kept burbing the system as I went via the burp valve. Repeated that procedure until there was nothing but clear water being dropped. Then I started with 100% coolant. Can't rememeber how much now but went over the odds. Until it took the full 2 gallons I think. Maybe 3 gallons, not sure. But figured that was enough and the last drop was the right color GREEN... Kept my eye on the reservoir each time I ran the car for the next week or so and topped off with water if needed. BTW pure water is the best coolant in the summer. Coolant is the best in the winter as it doesnt freeze. I hit the happy medium. Didn't have to mess with vacuum pumps or disturb hoses to acheive my goal. Mine is a daily driver or near enough. Garage kept.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

^^^ You really used TAP WATER?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Hurdi's method (less the use of tap water) is probably the easiest way to get it done. I was doing some other work so I removed the main drain plug and both front radiators. It was amazing how much more came out each time. Even draining all three points only got me 90% of what was in the system, but since I was using fresh factory coolant and DI water I felt pretty good about things. Getting 100% out of the system through draining is pretty difficult...

Quick Reply: Looking for some info on doing a coolant flush