Sponsored by:

Thoughts on iPad Mini install

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:46 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re-visiting this thread...

I'm considering installing an android based tablet instead of the Ipad mini as I am more vested in the Google ecosystem.

The logical tablet choice seems to be the Samsung Tab 8:

The width will help, not having to cut into the cup holder or lower bezel as much. But I'm concerned about the added 10mm height. For those that have done this install, can you comment on how much of a problem the additional 10mm is going to be in terms of fouling the windshield wiper and/or the cigarette lighter controls internally?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM
nimski62
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a super tight fit with the ipad mini, not sure the added 10mm are going to fit. Also, my cup holders work perfectly with an ipad mini.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nimski62
It is a super tight fit with the ipad mini, not sure the added 10mm are going to fit. Also, my cup holders work perfectly with an ipad mini.
I agree, its going to be challenging to find that extra space. Very snug fit.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:31 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have "installed" an android tablet, an Asus Fonepad (ca. $220 overseas). It is slightly less tall (but deeper) than the pads mentioned above with 196.4 x 120.1 x 10.4 mm (7.73 x 4.73 x 0.41 in). Not as fast or posh as an iPad but does all I need and I can remove it instantly.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Soaringman
Racer

why would you want this in your dash?

the 996 is a raw car.

you need the map and your driving a trip?

not for me,but I guess the people who install have reason and enjoy
Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

I've been looking at pics of installs, and I agree that the extra 10mm just won't work. Any 7" android but I want 8, and really, nothing works as good as the ipad mini. That and the 'gold brown' black of the tab 8 just wouldn't work aesthetically.

To Souringman - the 996TT has pretty extreme performance, but I'd liken it more as a GT car. Besides, why can't we have it all and eat our cake too.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I had a Nexus 7 (120mmx198.5mmx10.45) at my disposal when I did my original iPad mini install... It wasn't going to work out nearly as well, but it was mostly due to the extra thickness of the Nexus 7. The Tab 8 is thinner, though still not as thin as the Mini, and it is that thinness that allows it to be easily mounted by sandwiching it between the front bezel and the plastic support panel.

The extra height (width, if laid on its side) is also going to be a problem... Even the mini is a few mm to long and requires some careful dremeling of the lighter and wiper speed control plastic housing. The extra 10mm is going to make that much more difficult, and most likely also interfere with the rocker switches. Pictures below illustrate my point, the mini barely fits!

Anything can be done, but the beauty of this install when I first did it was (in my opinion) how easily if fit, how few modifications were needed, and how it remained very 'factory' looking when completed. I don't think the Tab8 would work out without significantly more work and likely fiberglass.

By the way, a much more detailed thread of my mini install (along with Slopesider's) is on the other forum, here.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

A coupe of more pic's from the original install...

Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

One more thing. (Credit for this idea really goes to Ivan on the sixspeed forum.)

Its a bit techno-geeky, so skip right on by if that kind of thing isn't of interest....

I just installed 'veency' on my 996 mini, a free cydia VNC app. So now I can have my 996 in the garage, just kick on the mini, and then do any administrative tasks/updates/song loads or whatever right from my laptop (macbook air in my case). I tried both OSX's built-in 'screen sharing' and another excellent and free VNC app 'Chicken of the VNC', both worked excellently.

For those that aren't familiar with VNC (virtual network computing), it is basically mirroring and controlling one computer (in this case, my ipad mini) with another computer (in this case, my macbook air).

I also use 'openSSH', another free cydia app, that allows me to just mount the iPad mini file systems remotely on my macbook.

Again, this kind of stuff isn't going to be all that interesting or easy to set up for most, but I know there are a few others that might take advantage of this setup. Reminder, make sure you change the default root and mobile passwords on an iPad or iPhone if you are going to open them up to networks...

Screenshot of an iPad being "Veency'ed" on my MacBook. This is the iPad installed in my F150, but same idea...

Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Great response. Thank you for taking the time!

I agree it will be a tight, or pretty much not fit. That's really too bad as I feel like androids have a few things going for them in terms of a more open eco-system for things like OBD-II monitoring and such.

In the 8" range, there's basically no android tablets that will fit nicely at the moment which is really too bad as there's some that are oh so close, though most of the super cheap ones don't have GPS capability. Something like the Dell Venue 8" would almost work... but alas it doesn't even have an ambient light sensor.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that new iPad mini has been announced, I bet you can get a deal on the back stock of the first gen minis. Typically Apple will drop the price $100.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:51 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Yup, found the best way to get a low price one with a full 1yr warranty was refurb from the apple store. Just ordered a 16GB AT&T unit for $359. Yes, I could find a cheaper used one on craigslist, but I didn't want to run the chance of getting a unit that had issues with no recourse.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to PFBZ and some others on 6speed I just finished mine a couple of weeks ago and loving it!

It really is amazing all of the items I can do, of course play all my music, Netflix for the kids, can even watch live TV using my slingbox, Nav, email, texting, of course all this while NOT driving!

Check out the pile of wires pilled out from my old system that had TV, DVD, Nav, hard drive for music.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 PM
padimx
7th Gear

Hey Guys,

Im looking to do the iPad mini install into my '05 CS. I figured out what you need to start.

Here is what I think I need.. please correct me if I'm wrong..

1. MOST-HUR/955 (This is used in order to keep existing BOSE system) >http://www.navtv.com/product/218/mos...eShowProduct=1
2. Sony MEXN5000BT >
Amazon.com: Sony MEXN5000BT NFC Bluetooth Wireless Car Stereo Receiver with App Remote: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Sony MEXN5000BT NFC Bluetooth Wireless Car Stereo Receiver with App Remote: Car Electronics
3. iPad Mini with 3g
4. Female harness to radio?
5. custom bezel >http://www.fifieldfabrications.com

Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by padimx
Hey Guys,

Im looking to do the iPad mini install into my '05 CS. I figured out what you need to start.

Here is what I think I need.. please correct me if I'm wrong..

1. MOST-HUR/955 (This is used in order to keep existing BOSE system) >http://www.navtv.com/product/218/mos...eShowProduct=1
2. Sony MEXN5000BT >Amazon.com: Sony MEXN5000BT NFC Bluetooth Wireless Car Stereo Receiver with App Remote: Car Electronics
3. iPad Mini with 3g
4. Female harness to radio?
5. custom bezel
Im looking to do the iPad mini install into my '05 CS?

'05 CS = Cayenne S? This is the 996 forum, so the info here is geared towards our 911's.

1. MOST-HUR/955: $655 so you can retain your so-so Bose amp & speakers? That wouldn't be high on my list...

2. Sony MEXN5000BT: Looks like it only has one USB port, on the front of the deck. Not a good choice for a clean install... Find one that has a USB connection coming from the rear or wiring harness, and also make sure it has enough charging current on the USB. Not all decks do...

Or were you not planning on connecting the ipad to the deck through USB, setting up a separate charging system and stream bluetooth?

3. iPad Mini with 3g: Well at this point, I think an iPad Mini Retina with LTE is the right choice...

4. Female harness to radio?: I used a Metra 70-1784, about $8 on Amazon. Also, you'll need an antenna adapter. Metra 40-VW12 VW Antenna Adapter or similar, about $5 on Amazon. Again, this is correct for our 911's, not 100% sure what harness the Cayenne needs.

5. custom bezel: On a 996, trying to fit that custom bezel is significantly more work than modifying the stock horseshoe trim as described earlier in this thread and also over here.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on iPad Mini install