996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why is this car fun to tear apart?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fpb111 - there was a lot more debris between the rads. Glad I saw pictures during thread research to take the screws between the two out. Seems like there might be a better way to access since the job was not hard but involved for a minor maintenance item. Saw where someone recently posted putting mesh on the intakes. I remember the Boxster having inserts available after market. Have not seen them for the 911.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to have to clean mine in the spring, no clue when the last time it was done.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Good idea to clean them. Mine both had dirt and crud in the bottom which were retaining moisture. Stopping in Okemos Auto Collection to pick up paint and filter wrench, we don't have a dealer. They have been very helpful so far.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Viper6
Racer

I agree with you completely, well done! Just did this on mine as well for first time and it was like yours or a little worse... vacuumed it and then doused with simple green and lots of water... came out looking clean and free of gunk.

I was amazed at how simple and quick it was to remove the lights... hats off to Porsche on that engineering!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I thought about mesh. With the amount of crud between the evap and rad I don't see where mesh is going to be much help. Plus any mesh causes some air flow blockage.

IE:
Diameter of wire inches .063-Width of opening inches 3 x 3-Open area percent 76.4
Means ~24% blocked

http://www.hillsidewirecloth.com/specs1.html
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, it's a great project to do - and you feel great when the project is done!

Search is your friend - there are videos on youtube (that both others and I've done) and lots of information on this forum. Nothing is impossible!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Yes, it's a great project to do - and you feel great when the project is done!

Search is your friend - there are videos on youtube (that both others and I've done) and lots of information on this forum. Nothing is impossible!
And thanks for the time and effort that you have put into making the videos Van. Your brake rotor tutorial on the 996 is excellent. My parts are on order and I plan to tackle that in a few weeks. The videos are an immense help to visualize what the manual is showing. Please keep up the good work!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As mentioned above, Van has some excellent videos that he's taken the tie to make it easier for us. I did my front rotors and pads last year because of his videos.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cmanis
Good idea to clean them. Mine both had dirt and crud in the bottom which were retaining moisture. Stopping in Okemos Auto Collection to pick up paint and filter wrench, we don't have a dealer. They have been very helpful so far.
That's where I go for parts and the tech is very nice.
However, the tech in GR, Brady, is the man when it comes to these cars. I highly recommend him if you need dealer work.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Cmanis
Advanced

Funny you mentioned GR white out, I ended up going there after Lansing did not have the part. Will have to look up Brady next time. I managed to strip out the oil drain plug so I had to get a new one. Trouble is old one will not come out. Looked at threads and tried chisel and easy out with no luck. Not really due for a change so I will deal with it when it is warmer. Will try to drill out and may just remove pan. Maybe Brady might know, thanks for tip.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Oh that sucks.

There is a frozen version of liquid wrench (most auto parts stores). That might help break the drain plug loose.

Quick Reply: Why is this car fun to tear apart?