Sponsored by:

x74 suspension first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Jpelton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgk996
I have a 99 996 C2 and ideally would like to upgrade to a X74 suspension.

Since the X74 is NLA, is there a similar offering out there that reasonably duplicates the X74's simplicity, performance and price? I am not interested in switching out to coilovers.

Is it possible to mix and match components that are available individually to create a pseudo X74?
All pieces are still available from Porsche, the prices are just heavily inflated. Kit would cost ~$4000 USD. Quite a bit of money for a cup kit with some sway bars.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

$4k? Woozers! Makes the brand new set I have at home worth more than I thought! At this rate, I'll never put them on my car! Just need time to do it
Originally Posted by Jpelton
All pieces are still available from Porsche, the prices are just heavily inflated. Kit would cost ~$4000 USD. Quite a bit of money for a cup kit with some sway bars.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Jpelton;10278752]All pieces are still available from Porsche, the prices are just heavily inflated. Kit would cost ~$4000 USD. Quite a bit of money for a cup kit with some sway bars.[/QUOTE

Please share where or which dealer told you the parts are still available. The X74/73 kits where being sold from Canewal in belgium mostly, but stock dried up late last year. I know some members would like to purchase the parts. However, at $4000 to piece it together there are better options.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Mine didn't drop much a fwe days after the install. From fender to ground is 25.2" front and 25.4" rear.
When you say from fender to ground are you measuring from the top of the wheel arch to the ground
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
When you say from fender to ground are you measuring from the top of the wheel arch to the ground
Yes, that's what I meant.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Jpelton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=Hardback;10279236]
Originally Posted by Jpelton
All pieces are still available from Porsche, the prices are just heavily inflated. Kit would cost ~$4000 USD. Quite a bit of money for a cup kit with some sway bars.[/QUOTE

Please share where or which dealer told you the parts are still available. The X74/73 kits where being sold from Canewal in belgium mostly, but stock dried up late last year. I know some members would like to purchase the parts. However, at $4000 to piece it together there are better options.
Gert informed me he was able to piece together two kits with some parts he still had around and buying some of the existing parts directly from Porsche at the inflated prices.

I also went through World Impex/ECS Tuning researching each part number, I was able to piece everything together for upwards of $9000. Completely ridiculous, the OEM aspect is VERY cool. I REALLY wanted to run it, however at the prices they are currently asking for those parts ($600 for a spring) you can have a much better performing aftermarket setup for MUCH less.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I understood, the X74 kits are now build-to-order from the factory. Not stocked any longer, not to be found in distribution channels (example Carnewal). Cost installed approx. 3k EUR.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought mine low miles used here on Rennlist no way I would have paid $4k for springs and shocks
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Bought mine low miles used here on Rennlist no way I would have paid $4k for springs and shocks
Sunset Porsche has the parts. $3k but you don't get sway bars. You get everything else though
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the fact that x74 lowers the car about 1 1/4 inch or 35mm and that the shocks are yellow bilstein sport makes me think that the system is not much of a true cup suspension as other people think. Look if the system was so great it would have been factory equipment on higher performance cars such as the GT3. But it is not in fact no one knows the spring rate that the springs are so it makes me think that the X74 is nothing more than Eibach springs and bilstein sport. I'm sure that the spring might have a rate higher than sport spring, but I doubt that the spring rate would be stiffer than the Gt3. So for the price I would go with a PSS10 or even stiffer system like the Ohlins if you plan to track the car. IMO even the PSS 10 is not stiff enough for track work anpd it has similar rates as the GT3.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jetskied
Given the fact that x74 lowers the car about 1 1/4 inch or 35mm and that the shocks are yellow bilstein sport makes me think that the system is not much of a true cup suspension as other people think. Look if the system was so great it would have been factory equipment on higher performance cars such as the GT3. But it is not in fact no one knows the spring rate that the springs are so it makes me think that the X74 is nothing more than Eibach springs and bilstein sport. I'm sure that the spring might have a rate higher than sport spring, but I doubt that the spring rate would be stiffer than the Gt3. So for the price I would go with a PSS10 or even stiffer system like the Ohlins if you plan to track the car. IMO even the PSS 10 is not stiff enough for track work anpd it has similar rates as the GT3.
interesting... perhaps one can achieve the same effect with bilstein yellows and H&R springs.... regarding the PSS10 - never used them but I know somebody who removed PSS9 to go to X74 and they were much happier.

no real reviews on the Ohlins yet and that kit isn't exactly a bargain either - plus you really have to get somebody who knows what they are doing to "dial it in" <- that's worth $$$$$ with X74 it's already dialed in.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Just had it confirmed that there is no Ohlins kit for widebody 996 (C4S/TT), so back to the drawing board...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Just had it confirmed that there is no Ohlins kit for widebody 996 (C4S/TT), so back to the drawing board...
DOH!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 PM
mklein9
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an X74 and installed it last week on my 2002 C2 with 18" factory lightweight wheels (8, 10 inch). It is amazing and I completely agree that this is clearly the suspension that Porsche should have shipped as standard. The car previously had an M030 (US) as it was configured from the factory and the X74 is far superior in stability and responsiveness. No question at all.

But the point of this post is that I am going to be needing new rear tires soon. 285/30-18 Pilot Sports are on there now which are NLA. Fronts have lots of tread left but they are about 6 years old (PO drove about 2500 miles/year).

I called Tire Rack to ask about the closest replacement and they said definitely Pilot Sport PS2s which are $444 each. That seems like quite a premium to get matching front/rear, considering the age of the fronts.

So one thing to consider is just going with a whole new set now. Unfortunately Super Sports are not available in a 30 aspect ratio for 18" wheels at all. I really do appreciate the directness of the steering response of the current tires. They do handle awfully well.

S-04 and Dunlop Direzza ZII are both available from Tire Rack in this size for about $150 more for the full set over PS2 rears only. The Dunlops have only a preliminary test done on them but it sounds very positive, a significant step up in responsiveness and grip from the Direzza Z1.

I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish here though. If the PS2 is an obvious knockout now and in the future, then that's what I should get.

Also moving to 295/30, 235/40 is a possibility although the choices there don't seem particularly better.

The application is mostly commuting with plenty of hard pushing on onramps/offramps when safe, occasional mountain twisties, and occasional DE where the goal is learning, not being fastest in the group.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Thats strange. I got one set of S-04 (4 tires) for $1200 out the door from Discount tire. They are great tires on the x74.

Last edited by Ahsai; 04-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: x74 suspension first impressions