Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

'01 996 Clutch Upgrade, Rear Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Bearing, and more..

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '01 996 Clutch Upgrade, Rear Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Bearing, and more..

This customer came to our shop with this '01 911 after buying it used and wanted to get everything checked out. The big mystery of buying a used car with an unknown service history is just that, a mystery. Never knowing if the previous owner was on top of the maintance or not can be nerve wrecking but we are here to help.

Parts Installed:
Sachs Motorsport Clutch Kit
AASCO Aluminum Flywheel
Rear Main Seal
Intermediate Shaft Bearing
Oil/Air Separator
Fresh Oil and Filter

To start things out on this 911 the customer noticed oil coming from between the engine and transmission. Not knowing if this was coming from the rear main seal or from the intermediate shaft bearing it was time to get it in and pull it apart. With the bad record of engine failures due to failed intermediate shaft bearings it was not a "wait and see" kind of issue.

Starting to pull in apart.

These kind of findings worried our new car owner a little more, part of the engine casing broken off.

Transmission out and the clutch in the car looks fairly new. We did noticed that many of the bolts were significantly over-tightened which hinted that the transmission had been out at some point.

A look at the oil/air separator that will be replaced.

Flywheel and clutch out of the way and now we can see the rear main leak and since we were this deep already it the intermediate shaft bearing would be replaced as well. There were no normal signs that it was failing but it with everything pulled apart it was better to stay ahead of any issues and just change it out.

Bearing removed

Old and new bearing.

New Bearing and Flange

After the bearing and flange was installed it was time for flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

Next the Transmission was re-installed, the final pieces put together and it was time to test drive the car.

While out on the test drive our tech also noticed that the window wasn't acting correctly. It would not roll all the way down and also it would at times not drop to clear the window seal when opening and closing the door.

After pulling the panels it was found that the drivers regulator was not adjusted properly so the window could not open fully.

The top of the two screws was the stopper that the window was set to, but the stopper was removed and the window re-learned.

The window issue with not dropping to clear the seal was also figured out and traced back to the lock/latch assembly. On top of that both doors were found to have the same issues and both assemblies were replaced.

In the end this little 911 was back to fine running order and now the customer knew that it was ready for a long life ahead.

Click here for 47 more images of this 911 build process.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Superb! You folks and the owner did exactly what the Dr ordered for this car. Good on you and thanks for the pictorial description. Much appreciated!
Martin
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info and write-up. Will he be cleaning the engine and underbody so the bottom matches the top?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Pmuney
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I want a similar job done (RMS, IMS) how much am I looking at? 01 996 4, I am about 2 hours away.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pmuney
If I want a similar job done (RMS, IMS) how much am I looking at? 01 996 4, I am about 2 hours away.
Wow! not sure how we missed this but if you are still interested, we will certainly PM you some pricing.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you only PM your
Prices ??
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 03 C4S, I did the ims/rms/eom clutch/rubber flex disc along with oil change for about $2700, and thot it was worth every penny.
PL
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zanzibar Red 996
Why are you only PM your
Prices ??
The pricing on this job varies tremendously based on the parts. The transmission is removed so many times we perform a clutch upgrade. Some guys want a stock clutch while others prefer to do the upgrade. The RMS is also something that you might as well do. Its really only the additional parts. However, many times, someone has had a leaking RMS replaced without doing the IMS. Or, we have seen brand new clutches in cars that have bad IMS bearings so we reuse the clutch. Its a shame because the majority of the labor is removing and installing the transmission.

There is a "book" time for this job where we can form an "estimate" but we actually have our own installation philosophy and don't use air-tools. In addition, many of the cars have been taken care of differently. We have seen stripped bolts, mismatched hardware, mud-covered transmissions and all kinds of crazy things, along with cars that are pristine and have never seen rain. We clean as we repair and don't just slap a car back together. So its tough to simply put a "price" on the forums for the services. We have done this job many, many times and each one has been a different price based on parts and condition of the car.

We can certainly give an "estimate" but then people consider that an official "quote" for their car and it can vary so much form car to car, again depending on parts mostly.

Hope this helps a bit. We would love the chance to provide a quote for your vehicle and can certainly make it public info as long as we can discuss and disclose the details of what all has been done and what needs to be done.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while i appreciate that estimates may vary, i think it makes sense to provide a range so potential customers have an idea w/o locking you into a specific #. this way, you can keep customers engaged while still giving you some wiggle room for things that come up. the downside of not providing anything or a range is that it may come across as evasive. my 2 cents.
PL
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Just one question. With all the money and nice new parts that went into this, why didn't the tech have the area clean before the new parts were installed?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 AM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
while i appreciate that estimates may vary, i think it makes sense to provide a range so potential customers have an idea w/o locking you into a specific #. this way, you can keep customers engaged while still giving you some wiggle room for things that come up. the downside of not providing anything or a range is that it may come across as evasive. my 2 cents.
PL
Absolutely! We certainly don't want to come across as evasive. I just spoke with the shop foreman to put together a detailed write-up of the job. We will get it posted on our site which includes all the details of the "basic" install. Looking at the numbers, it is safe to say we have 12 hours in the job and our current rate is discounted to $90/hr if the parts are purchased from us ($100/hr if the parts are supplied). So labor alone would be $1,080.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Just one question. With all the money and nice new parts that went into this, why didn't the tech have the area clean before the new parts were installed?
Which area are you referring to?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP Performance
Absolutely! We certainly don't want to come across as evasive. I just spoke with the shop foreman to put together a detailed write-up of the job. We will get it posted on our site which includes all the details of the "basic" install. Looking at the numbers, it is safe to say we have 12 hours in the job and our current rate is discounted to $90/hr if the parts are purchased from us ($100/hr if the parts are supplied). So labor alone would be $1,080.
Just a suggestion, I think you better make a clear differentiation between manual and tiptronic models as the labor will vary by a decent amount between the two.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 PM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Just a suggestion, I think you better make a clear differentiation between manual and tiptronic models as the labor will vary by a decent amount between the two.

Very good point....yet another reason not to quote on forums and keep it as a PM

For the record, this is for a manual.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

This is what I was referring to. Why would you not clean prior to installing parts? I would think a customer would understand a fee for cleaning this much mess. Seems like a way to get gunk inside engine and on new clutch parts if you dont clean it. Im sure the mess is from a leaking RMS and clutch dust. The example is from my DIY contrasted with your posted pic. Also noticed the defective case bolts were not replaced with updated ones. Not being critical just asking why? Thanks for posting.

Last edited by KrazyK; 04-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: '01 996 Clutch Upgrade, Rear Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Bearing, and more..