Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

'01 996 Clutch Upgrade, Rear Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Bearing, and more..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
GMP Performance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This is what I was referring to. Why would you not clean prior to installing parts? I would think a customer would understand a fee for cleaning this much mess. Seems like a way to get gunk inside engine and on new clutch parts if you dont clean it. Im sure the mess is from a leaking RMS and clutch dust. The example is from my DIY contrasted with your posted pic. Also noticed the defective case bolts were not replaced with updated ones. Not being critical just asking why? Thanks for posting.
I agree 100%. We have a parts washer that we normally roll under the car and clean everything up before installing the new parts. Maybe the tech did it in a backwards order and installed it first and then cleaned it. Not sure why we didn't take/post a picture of the area once it was cleaned, but we do have a policy that all the affected areas are cleaned, especially in the transmission when there is debris like this.

As for the bolts, I will go into the shop to get that answered asap.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP Performance
... Looking at the numbers, it is safe to say we have 12 hours in the job and our current rate is discounted to $90/hr if the parts are purchased from us ($100/hr if the parts are supplied). So labor alone would be $1,080.
First, thanks for an informative thread as well as posting some details on the potential labor costs... We internet forum guys can be a tough crowd.

I can say in general it is frustrating when vendors always do the 'PM me for price' thing, especially when it is a part vendor that is advertising a sale but doesn't want to actually disclose the sale price! (obviously not referring to this thread)

It also seems that for this particular job (clutch/IMSB/RMS) shop quotes around the country are all over the place! It isn't so much a variation in hourly rate, more a variation in just how many hours they charge to do a similar job, so it really is helpful to get some benchmarks from reputable shops that are showing exactly what work is being done.

As for cleaning, I do find that most 'shops' don't spend nearly as much time cleaning unseen areas when they are being worked on as I do, and I'm positive I don't spend nearly as much time cleaning underbody parts as KK, but in general I agree that of all the expenses associated with car repair, I'd be thrilled if a shop told me they spent an extra $90 of my money but spent some extra time really cleaning things up. Heck, these days I'm usually happy if I don't have at least a few greasy fingerprints on the body after a shop visit!

Quick Reply: '01 996 Clutch Upgrade, Rear Main Seal, Intermediate Shaft Bearing, and more..