Sponsored by:

Minor Mishap - SF East Bay body shop needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Minor Mishap - SF East Bay body shop needed

I pulled into a parking space today that had cement bumpers/stoppers. I think we all stay back from these (usually). Anyway, there was a piece of rebar sticking out from the top and upon backing out, it RIPPED THE BUMPER OFF! I guess technically it is the bumper cover, but still. I was flabbergasted. Not sure if it can be repaired, but I'm going to take it to a shop and have them assess it.

I read an older thread which recommended BMC in Oakland. Any other places in the East Bay? Oakland isn't too far, but something in the Walnut Creek area would be even better.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM
uswrnk54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know much about specific shops in that area, but I would suggest to do your research prior to choosing a shop (like posting this thread). Check the BBB and other customer reciews, make sure they have a LIFETIME warranty. If you may possibly move in the future you might consider a chain shop so your warranty would transfer wherever you happen to live. You may ask the local dealer for a referral. A shop that is familiar with these cars would be ideal, though most could handle a simple bumper cover job. If you are not going thru insurance make sure the shop gives you as tight of a bid as possible so you don't get a big surprise when you go to pick your car up. body repairs are often times treated as an open checkbook.
When you get it back, check he color match and paint texture (to adjacent panels) in the sun and under florescent light if possible (most shops have these lights). Feel the edges of the repaired or replaced bumper cover for rough paint. Check the fit of the cover on all sides and confirm no adjacent panels were chipped in the removal or re-install of the panel.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We used Lafayette Auto Body in Lafayette (Just west of Walnut Creek) to fix our Jag and our Volvo when we still lived there. They did a great job with both. Our experiences were about 7 years ago now but I recall them being reasonably prices and easy to deal with. One repair involved our insurance, one was just our cash.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by keytohwy
I pulled into a parking space today that had cement bumpers/stoppers. I think we all stay back from these (usually). Anyway, there was a piece of rebar sticking out from the top and upon backing out, it RIPPED THE BUMPER OFF! I guess technically it is the bumper cover, but still. I was flabbergasted. Not sure if it can be repaired, but I'm going to take it to a shop and have them assess it.

I read an older thread which recommended BMC in Oakland. Any other places in the East Bay? Oakland isn't too far, but something in the Walnut Creek area would be even better.

Thanks!
The cover will have to be replaced.

Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland is I've been told a good body shop.

The car may not need a body shop proper though. Take the car to Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek and have the shop give you their opinion of the "damage". It may not be anything other than the cover and some fasteners and maybe a plastic panel or two that fits over or under the bumper cover.

If so the panels/parts can be ordered, including the bumper cover which is then sent to a body/paint shop for prep/paint and returned to the dealer for fitting.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM
uswrnk54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Labor rate at Bay Area dealer will be $130+. Rate at local body shop will be $85-$90.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by uswrnk54
Labor rate at Bay Area dealer will be $130+. Rate at local body shop will be $85-$90.
So? The owner will be filing a claim against his insurance. The owner is entitled to take the car to any repair facility he wants.

The idea is to have the car returned to its pre-collision condition to as near as humanly possible, not to save the insurance company a few bucks.

Even when I hit some road debris with my Boxster and busted a bumper cover and radiator and declined to file a claim I took my car to a dealer (Wichita KS dealer) and not some Honda tin shop to have the car repaired.

Quick Reply: Minor Mishap - SF East Bay body shop needed