Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time to start thinking about 2013 mods...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

That^^^^stinks. But for me I think the value of my car just went up!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you really want to upgrade the Suspension... Why not consider the Brand new offerings from Motion Control Suspension. These single adjustable dampers, which are MUCH better then the PSS10's, are rebuildable, upgradeable (when you are ready) to 2 way's, provide complete ride height adjustability, corner balance and spring rates to suit your street/DE needs. Why not give me a call so we can review your needs.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

I'm interested... can you send me some information on them and on why they are better than PSS10s?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My adjustments are not really that complicated or expensive. Heh, my previous explanation likely was more complicated that doing the work.

Seasonal (winter/summer): <-- twice per year
Change tires/wheels
Change Brake Pads
Adjust Sway Bars
Adjust PSS10 (simple twists of 4 *****)
Time: about 1 hour

(I do not adjust height or change alignment)

~~~~~

Track Days <---each track day
Change tires/wheels
Adjust PSS10 (simple twists of 4 *****)
Time: About 30 min to setup for track, then 30 min to set it back to DD

Note: There are other track considerations like tire pressures, bleeding brakes, changing front diff fluid, etc. that come up.

~~~

Some thoughts regarding the potential "Oil Starvation Issue"

At HPR, there are not really any high speed sweepers and generally the g-forces on Street Tires (non, R-Compound) should not cause starvation - but that is only my opinion based on my research and experience. There are several threads with more info on that subject. I have done the X51 oil pan (no proof it does anything, but it does have "baffles" and makes me feel better).

Some type of active fix to address that potential problem may by my next major mod. I do run Hoosier R6's a few times each summer - just because they are awesome. With that much grip, an Accusump or similar solution starts to make more sense. However, after 20+ days of running the Hoosiers, I have not noticed any oil pressure drops, smoke or other indicators of a problem.

Last edited by steepsnow; 12-30-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Let's say that I go with PSS10s. If I set a height a little lower than stock and I don't really plan to change it, do I need other suspension upgrades with it? Do my existing sway bars need to be changed or will it really make a difference? It might be nice to keep the height the same, but just dial in the PSS10s for track or street driving. Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

MCS Announces Debut of the 2013 Single Adjustable Non Remote Dampers
Alpharetta, GA December 5, 2012 – MCS announced the debut of their new Single Adjustable
damper sets. After several months of rigorous testing they are now ready for sale. Fitments for
BMW, Porsche, Scion, Subaru and Honda are offered to start.
“MCS raises the bar both for track enjoyment and street comfort with these new Single
adjustable damper kits,” said Lex Carson, Sales Director at MCS. “Car owners will appreciate
both the build and ride quality of these new designed products. They have a nice adjustment
range of 16 different settings in rebound control, mono tube design front and rear and nitrogen
pressure is adjustable if required. They do come with standard spring hardware but without
springs and camber plates, these can be ordered separately”.

The new MCS Single adjustable damper sets will retail from $2,650 / set.
A really nice feature of these ‘entry-level’ Single adjustable non remote dampers is that they are
upgradable to a reservoir type damper at any time. “We decided to design a modular damper
system with interchangeable parts to make it possible to upgrade these ‘entry-level’ dampers to a
2-Way adjustable reservoir damper system down the road. Many customers will benefit from this
and will be able to upgrade without the need of investing into a complete new damper set when
upgrading their program,” according Lex. All the MCS dampers are fully rebuildable,
serviceable and can be custom valved and upgraded any time.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

The biggest advantage over PSS10's (we sell and service them as well) is the wide range of spring rates, ride height and corner balance options that are not available with the PSS series. When you add the upgrade feature it becomes a "No contest" choice of which damper to fit into your car.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
steepsnow
Instructor

...keep in mind that I am not a tech, just a 996 driving enthusiast sharing experiences and some second-hand knowledge from talking to my tech shops, reading race-driving books and searching through the forums (primarily here are and at renntech.org).

One this we have in common is that we intend on using our cars as daily drivers. There will always be a compromise between DD and track use due to the frequently conflicting configurations for optimization, comfort and safety. The trick is finding the balance of cost, performance and reasonably easy adjustments to make the car perform well in a wide variety of conditions. IMHO - the 996 is one of the best platforms in terms of amazing performance in almost any "road-based" driving including snowy days, zipping around town, long road trips, and pushing to the limits at the track...but you already know that.

I suggest talking to your tech shop about the potential upgrade. I have seen some upgrades at the track that were done by shops without specific experience with getting the alignment correct that caused trouble and frustration. For example, on the "west side," 3Zero3 does their own alignments and have lots of experience with PSS10 on Porsches and Audis - plus track and race experience - the same goes for the other "race shops," like: Dart, 3R, and Velocity. BTW - the PCA member social is at 3R on Jan 10th. That is always a fun meeting and a chance to talk with their Porsche techs.

Re: Sways
Due to the relatively low cost, I did the sway bars first. I found a good deal on the H&R, so I went with those. I did not need to change the drop links. The sway bars were a big improvement and were part of my "slippery-slope" to eventually getting the PSS10. While they are not required, they do add some adjustability and reduced body roll.

Re: PSS10
I did not change any other suspension parts (control arms, drop links, etc.).

The GT3 Street Alignment is the most that can be done in terms of lowering without the adjustable GT3 control arms and drop links for the sways.

I think the "highest" setting for the PSS10 is about 1/2 to 1 inch below stock. Check with a tech or knowledgable retailer for the exact amount.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've already discussed this with the guys at 3zero3, and they were the ones that gave me the quote on PSS10s that I posted earlier. They do have lots of experience with Porsches and with cars that are used on the track, and I like that.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Dennis:
GL with your search and "the hunt" for the right mods for your car/DD. MCS is made by top notch guys with a stellar reputation. I searched for a while and found a used set of coilovers (JIC Cross) and I am very happy with my "new" setup. I would also suggest the GT3 sways and drop links so you have the most flexibility when it comes to adjustments (differing tracks verses street) and it seems that adjustability is highly desired (but in truth, I haven't adjusted mine since the install and initial alignment/corner balance etc.). As it has been said in here, (+1) add the GT3 brake ducts, inexpensive and will definately help. Don't really need to do the major brake upgrade (IMHO)...save your money. Track tires, well, all I can say is once you go there, you won't want to drive without 'em (weather conditions dependent)...and in my case, the used Hoosiers R6's are less expensive than the MPSS's. I save the MPSS for street and wet track days....... there is nothing like Hoosier grip (no, I haven't driven on Michelins slicks).........as for the Accusump, I did inquire about the item.....expensive when you consider installation.......

I would consider a gradual upgrade so you can get used to the different feel. Suspension will be the single biggest adjustment for you and the car will be transformed...having said that, the ride is noticeably stiffer (I still love it) but it does make the street side of the driving equation less comfortable (but remeber that this comment is coming from someone who loves the track) so the stiffness, even on the street works for me.
just my .02, GL! Enjoy the new year.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

From my vantage point this generation of P-cars is best sorted at the X73/74 ride height (which is very close to the early GT3)... and the PSS series leaves the car to high for that goal... Even with a Dual purpose in mind, other options will yield a better Rate of return on your investment.
The Accusump is a feel good item unless you are really pushing the car hard on High banked tracks... for DD use you can save the money and enjoy other upgrades that better suite your taste and budget.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,472 Likes on 811 Posts

AP Racing makes a caliper spacer for the Turbo/C4S that allows you to run 350mm front rotors from the 997 Turbo utilizing your OEM calipers. That would be a cost effective way to get you a little more braking power.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

BTW - Colorado peeps, HPR is having "Customer Appreciation Day" on Sunday 1/6/2013.
....free, open track day (check the WWW site for details)! It looks like decent weather with sun in the high 40's. Since there is no new snow in the forecast for the mtns, I'll be there.
Dennis - if you come out, I can show you how things work on my car.

Quick Reply: Time to start thinking about 2013 mods...