Sponsored by:

LN bearing or factory replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Meares
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LN bearing or factory replacement

not even sure i want to post this, but.......i DID search; however, i couldn't find what i'm looking for...

i'm new to H2O cooled porsches. just bought my first porsche....'03 coupe

it has the original clutch, RMS and IMS; and it has 108,500 miles on it.

obviously, i'm doing the clutch, RMS and the IMS with in the next 2 wks

so...the question is.. does porsche offer a replacement for the IMS or should i buy the LN bearing? if the factory one lasted 100,000; it sounds like a good replacement to me. Of course, i did see an 02 boxster with 18,000 miles on it with a complete bearing failure....looks just like the pictures....thx in advance
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

IMO, LN is superior to the factory and others out there. I've read where the factory bearing is supplied by a variety of makers from different countries of origin. Besides the LN is high grade ceramic and more resistant to wear with an updated race.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome the water world!

I'm assuming that the clutch is in bad shape and the RMS is leaking... Otherwise you would not be having this work done. If so, and since you are only another hour or two of additional labor + parts for an IMS upgrade, it is a good idea. General consensus is LN is the way to go... Though no doubt some will disagree. LN avoids the factory bearing's potential to lose internal lubrication. Not sure Porsche ever solved this completely, as some early 997s suffered IMS failure.

And take a ride up to Cary's Waverly Place shopping center on the first of the month for Cars and Coffee. Right off 64 and US 1. Great turnout.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Meares
Racer

clutch seems EASY TO ME to engage and disengage....it's silky smooth pushing it in and VERY grainy when it's coming out...the gentleman at leith porsche said it's hard to push in and is probably going to go soon....i don't have any idea how easy the clutch actuation should be, but apparently it's hard...so, i'm going to change it anyway....it's got 108,000 miles on it....i have no oil leaks at all, so i don't know if the RMS leaks or not...but why not replace both of them while i'm in there...looks like the RMS and IMS kit from suncoast comes with the 3 pronged bearing cover and not the actual bearing...could be wrong...thanks for info!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Lots of good info in this discussion. Read this thread on renntech.org.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...s-ims-kit.html
Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The IMS bearims is pretty much a standard size bearing and they are available in a ceramic hybrid configuration. It's up to you if you want to use one, I did, or pay the premium for an LN unit.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Meares
clutch seems EASY TO ME to engage and disengage....it's silky smooth pushing it in and VERY grainy when it's coming out...the gentleman at leith porsche said it's hard to push in and is probably going to go soon....i don't have any idea how easy the clutch actuation should be, but apparently it's hard...so, i'm going to change it anyway....it's got 108,000 miles on it....i have no oil leaks at all, so i don't know if the RMS leaks or not...but why not replace both of them while i'm in there...looks like the RMS and IMS kit from suncoast comes with the 3 pronged bearing cover and not the actual bearing...could be wrong...thanks for info!
Suncoast's "kit" has a new IMSB cover plate with the updated seal which your car may already have. Porsche only sells the IMSB installed in a new IMS (Intermediate shaft) requiring engine disassembly to install. The LN IMSB is much stronger & comes with a billet IMSB cover plate.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

LN is supposed to be releasing a new replacement for the IMSB in the next couple of months. You may want to hold tight till they release it. They said there will be details in next month's Panorama.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd make sure your mechanic has done these before or is very experienced with Porsche in general.
While the job is straightforward and can be done in a day, it has to be done competently or it can end in disaster.

I believe I read somewher that one Porsche dealer was NOT using the factory IMSB and going with the LN upgrade.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonboots
LN is supposed to be releasing a new replacement for the IMSB in the next couple of months. You may want to hold tight till they release it. They said there will be details in next month's Panorama.
I believe Jake said they would only be installing this new IMS solution in their shop at the beginning to make sure its being done correctly and monitor it until releasing it to other shops down the road.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally went with a factory IMS replacement when I did my clutch, flywheel, RMS, and assorted junk. But I will say the only reason I went with factory is because it was available same day, and LN was not. I didn't want my P-car in my shop for too long. This way I was able to do everything overnight the same day I blew my clutch and had it back on the road the next morning
Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If your IMS has lasted 108k miles, and still has not failed, I wouldnt see any use to replace it with a non Porsche part. Seems to last extremely well!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Meares
Racer

just did A LOT of talking to Leith Porsche in Cary...they explained the differences, took time with me and i'm going with the LN...they have it, the clutch and all the other ancillary items that i need in stock...they also explained that, if i wished to get the porsche bearing; i'd have to buy the whole intermediate shaft....give them a day's notice, drop off my car and they'll have a loaner for me! I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!! THEY HAVE GONE ABOVE AND BEYOND MY GREATEST EXPECTATIONS! i took my car in for an air filter last saturday and they treated me like i've bought a turbo S cab from them for the past 10 yrs!! i won't go ANYWHERE else!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes I expect that they would treat you like royalty when you took your car in for an air filter. They saw $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs there alright.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Took it to the dealer for an airfilter?!?!? Time to hand in your mancard.

Quick Reply: LN bearing or factory replacement