Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Gas vapor smell from near rear driver's wheel well.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Sherpa23
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas vapor smell from near rear driver's wheel well.

For those who read my other thread, this is problem 2.

Every now and then, maybe once a week, I will park the car and get a strong gas vapor smell from the rear driver's side wheel area. Now this is not the smell of something like pure gas like if you spill some, but more of a strong hot gas vapor. My first thought is there is something wrong with the fuel venting system or canister (do these have charcoal canisters or similar?) or something similar. But the location has me puzzled. Could it be something like a loose banjo fitting to one of the fuel pumps or something?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty Jones
For those who read my other thread, this is problem 2.

Every now and then, maybe once a week, I will park the car and get a strong gas vapor smell from the rear driver's side wheel area. Now this is not the smell of something like pure gas like if you spill some, but more of a strong hot gas vapor. My first thought is there is something wrong with the fuel venting system or canister (do these have charcoal canisters or similar?) or something similar. But the location has me puzzled. Could it be something like a loose banjo fitting to one of the fuel pumps or something?
Gasoline vapor along with crankcase vapors and of course exhaust gases are toxic pollutants and have special systems for dealing with them to in the case of gasoline vapor and crankcase vapors preventing these from being expelled directly to the atmosphere and instead routed to the engine while it is running to burn these vapors.

And the exhaust gases are then routed to the converters which further process (burn) combustion gases converting them into less harmful gases.

Thus whenever one smells gasoline there is the very real possibility there is a gas or gas vapor leak. This needs immediate attention.

If anything in the fueling system has been disturbed recently: A new fuel filter; that suggests an area that needs closer inspection.

If plugs/coils have been changed while the fuel lines are not directly involved they are nearby and for an older car particularly its fuel lines/fittings become more fragile.

Even if nothing has been disturbed fuel lines, vapor lines, fittings, charcoal canister any one of thee can develop a hole or a crack. Thankfully these are generally long-lived and trouble free but there is always the exception.

Yet another possible explanation: I have come across in one case a Cayman that was in for a gasoline smell and the tech found upon inspecting the car that mice had been at the car and the source of the smell was a hole chewed through a gasoline vapor hose/line that runs under the car through its "tunnel". This line is hidden from view covered by a plastic panel (which is the case for all modern Porsches) and the top surface of this panel makes a nice platform for a mouse to walk about on seeking nice things to nibble. The mouse likely stopped chewing when he broke through and got a snootful of gasoline vapor.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Sherpa23
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will get it checked out right away. I'm guessing that it's the vapor system and maybe the canister. Either way, I'm make sure it's nothing serious.

I have no mice here but not sure what the garage was like at the PO's.

Quick Reply: Gas vapor smell from near rear driver's wheel well.