Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 with litronics can be upgraded to 55w balast and bulbs easy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

35w HID = Mobil 0W40
55w HID = JG DT-40

It's really simple.
If you're blind or feel you need the additional lighting for whatever reason and want to get your hands dirty, do the 55w mod.

Otherwise, drive the car and be happy you have an OEM 35w system just like all the other stock cars on the road and be extra grateful you don't have halogens.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
WWest: Neither really. The momentary arc between the tungsten contacts (the flash you see when you first turn on the headlights) only establishes a path through the xenon gas by ionization and the heat needed to initially vaporize the metalic salts. While the gas ionization is essential to the process, the light is produced by the electrically charged vaporized salts (held at a constant current), which depending on the compounds produce the different tints.
Trying to establish if the light "source" is spherical, fills the entire encapsulation "sphere", or not...?

Sounds as if it might.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark - Now that you have some time with these, have you noticed any ill affects ? Lens discoloration, bulb life, color shift etc?

I had some other projects to tackle, but with winter coming this is back on my radar. Thanks for any updates
Old 10-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

@Bad.Tag - No problems. But,it seems like the evolving trend is LED. I particularly like the prospect of one day having LEDs because there is no lag time in reaching maximum brightness. There are already some conversion kits out there (although I haven't seen anything compatible with D2S yet) --but, it seems like it might be a while before a solid product is available.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Great, I am looking forward to getting this done.

I agree, LEDs are the next step, but anything available for the consumer market has less than optimal output, despite looking extremely bright. I've seen some kits which boast 1200-1300 Lumens which is only slightly better than Halogen. Give it a few years though and I'm sure it will be a viable alternative for us DIY'ers

Thanks for the update

--
Brett
Old 10-13-2014, 01:20 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Ok, just completed the upgrade using the 50w Morimoto ballasts from TRS.

Installation: The ballasts are well made and fit under the stock backing plate, though some weather strip tape was needed as they are slightly thinner than the stock setup.

The best part was no real modification was necessary to any part, and its completely reversible. The rubber grommet that comes on the Morimoto's actually fits in the access hole where the plug feeds into the housing, so no fabrication of filler plate was required. Everything is plug and play, the hardest part was situating the wires so they fit under the stock backing plate.

Performance:
Lo-Beam - With the same bulbs, lighting is noticeably brighter. Before the area in front of the car seemed somewhat dim and cutoffs ill defined when driving. Now the cutoff are well defined and the illumination is much more complete.
Its not a halogen -> HID difference but its a definite gain from the 35w.

Hi-Beam - Using the same H11's as before, there is a nice increase in distance. On my test route, signs I could somewhat make out at a 1/4 mile are now easy to distinguish and back road driving is much safer.

2 things I did notice is 1) the units run cooler and 2) CD/Ipod operation are fine but for some reason my radio reception is terrible with lights turned on. My system is aftermarket though, so this might not be the case for everyone.

Overall, its a great upgrade for the price. I'll post install pics when I get back this weekend

--
Brett
Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM
liljohnny
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you noticed any color shift in your current bulbs? Like are they slightly washed out and a little lower Kelvin temp with the boosted ballasts? I've seen and heard this can happen to overdriven OE bulbs.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:20 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

liljohnny - yes, that is true. I think the shift at 55w v 35w is supposed to be one Kelvin range. So a 6000K to a 5000K or so.

The stock bulbs in mine are a 4300K which is a "warm white" so it was just a brighter version but similar color. Previously ran 5000K @55w in the A4, which had a pure white similar to most new cars
Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

As promised, here are some pics of the install. Everything fits perfectly with a little readjusting of of the stock wires.
Attached Images    
Old 11-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Brett, Looks like LED development is moving onward toward an aftermarket option.
Amazon.com: New Brights LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 6400LM Cree LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H13 (9008) Dual-beam LED: Automotive Amazon.com: New Brights LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 6400LM Cree LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H13 (9008) Dual-beam LED: Automotive
When the technology and price stabilizes (summer, maybe?) I might try something like this, first in one of my non-Porsches & see how well it does & whether heat is an issue.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Thanks for sharing Mark!
6400LM would be a nice gain, but like you said the heat generation would be my main concern, and second would be space requirements.

No doubt this will improve with each generation though. Now if they can incorporate the flashing pass feature like on the Le Mans cars I'll be sold
Old 11-25-2014, 12:40 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Brett, Looks like LED development is moving onward toward an aftermarket option. Amazon.com: New Brights LED Headlight Conversion Kit - All Bulb Sizes - 80W 6400LM Cree LED - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H13 (9008) Dual-beam LED: Automotive
When the technology and price stabilizes (summer, maybe?) I might try something like this, first in one of my non-Porsches & see how well it does & whether heat is an issue.
I've seen these for some time now and is really only optimized for non-projector style reflector systems. You have to remember that LED's do not have a wide dispersion pattern like incandescents which is currently their biggest drawback.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Well, turns out it's kind of already there on the reasonable price point. http://www.ebay.com/itm/72w-6400lm-D...804220&vxp=mtr
And, LED reaches full power even more quickly than halogen. Hmmm. I have a sedan that would make a good test mule; when I get around to doing it, I'll let you know how it works out. Meanwhile, someone here may have already had some experience with it. Seasons Greetings!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Nine8Six
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, turns out it's kind of already there on the reasonable price point.

And, LED reaches full power even more quickly than halogen. Hmmm. I have a sedan that would make a good test mule; when I get around to doing it, I'll let you know how it works out. Meanwhile, someone here may have already had some experience with it. Seasons Greetings!
I'm sure this product you listed is top quality... however be a tad careful with those other/similar fan cooling thingies (especially the made-in-my-neighborhood ones). Those high powered LED, not only they do get brutally hot, the cooling fan is often just a mini PC-style fan with a poorly designed bearing/shaft(?!?). You'll need reliable cooling during hot summer days apparently. Buy the good ones only lol

What do I know... Just passing on a word of caution I've been given by the local pros here. Porsche cars are nice they say

Side note; your projectors' optic & its coating are designed to take up max 55w halogen or 35w hid. More and you'll damage those not-so-cheap optics in less than 24 months. Surface will black out a bit... poor reflect etc etc. Make sure aftermarket lights do not exceed the temp of those bulbs you currently have installed - those recommended by Porsche. Talking about litronics and mk2 headlamp$

If you want to be 100% sure.... light up your current bulb next to a small piece of aluminum e.g positioned 1" far from the bulb. After 2min take temp reading from that heated piece of aluminum. Repeat the same with the aftermarket bulb/LED.

If those 72thousandwatts LED throws any more energy than your current/stock bulb, then... you have no choice but to sell them to another member (on oldFordRanger.com of course lol)

Anyone ever tried professionally polishing the headlight lenses and just adding fresh bulbs? Gives +15~25% brightness in many cases, 3 or 4 horsepower also can't remember
Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Nine8six, Yes the heat issue is the wild card, i.e. roasting a really expensive set of housings. The LEDs are touted as running cool with the fans and equipped with a high temp shut-off (would require a lot of trust). I'm sure we'll be following the web reports on temperatures and maybe even invest in an IR temperature sensor before doing anything radical. I'll try it one of my other cars first. Re: rehabbing lenses, I sanded, polished and put Expel film on mine some time back...still like new.

Quick Reply: 996 with litronics can be upgraded to 55w balast and bulbs easy?