holy crud! this is not what i was expecting after 1 month back

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holy crud! this is not what i was expecting after 1 month back

2003 C2

I put fuel stabilizer in (ran it for about 15 minutes to let circulate), filled tank to 90%, over pumped my tires, took the battery out and put on a tender while my car sat for a month (about 31 days).

I turned it on today, no problem. I start driving it to work taking it super slow not pushing it (its cold). I notice that in the freeway 6th gear, it holds fine if i'm not pushing on the gas, but when i start pushing to accelerate, the engine crudders... best example is a shopping cart with a screwed up wheel. I thought it was just grime and it'd go away.

i continue driving to work, exit freeway, and notice now its even worse, and soon the check engine light comes on. my heart is pounding.

i keep driving to work, accelerating slowly, then i notice at a red light that there is a weak clicking sound with the engine, like a chk chk chk chk chk chk rhythmically increasing when i gas it. also the car vibrates ever so slightly while at rest in neutral.

i got to work. turned it off. i'm afraid to turn it on again. WTH is happening? should i start it to drive to a mechanic? anyone know a INDY in Philadelphia? no way i can afford dealer repair.

help help help.. please if you know what's going on call me.. PM me for my number. I've never been so scared haha :\
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
2003 C2

I put fuel stabilizer in (ran it for about 15 minutes to let circulate), filled tank to 90%, over pumped my tires, took the battery out and put on a tender while my car sat for a month (about 31 days).

I turned it on today, no problem. I start driving it to work taking it super slow not pushing it (its cold). I notice that in the freeway 6th gear, it holds fine if i'm not pushing on the gas, but when i start pushing to accelerate, the engine crudders... best example is a shopping cart with a screwed up wheel. I thought it was just grime and it'd go away.

i continue driving to work, exit freeway, and notice now its even worse, and soon the check engine light comes on. my heart is pounding.

i keep driving to work, accelerating slowly, then i notice at a red light that there is a weak clicking sound with the engine, like a chk chk chk chk chk chk rhythmically increasing when i gas it. also the car vibrates ever so slightly while at rest in neutral.

i got to work. turned it off. i'm afraid to turn it on again. WTH is happening? should i start it to drive to a mechanic? anyone know a INDY in Philadelphia? no way i can afford dealer repair.

help help help.. please if you know what's going on call me.. PM me for my number. I've never been so scared haha :\
With these cars you have to pay to play, unless you are a Porsche mechanic youself.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

doughtery automotive service in west chester,pa is a great place just outside philly. they are a top quality shop that knows these cars really well. they are less$$$$ than a dealer but still not cheap.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

why would you add a fuel stabilizer for 30 days of storage?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

while i look after my car a little compulsively ,you read these posts and shake your a head a little! these cars are not these fragile things were making them out to be,yes you should prep the car for long term storage,notice i sed long term,start the car sometimes,a trikkle charger is a good thing,maybe even take it out for a ride! its not going to fly off the road skidding into the trees because you have summer tires . these cars are built like a brick s#!@% house. remember the majority of info on these sites are great and lots of good tips,but alot of over kill as well,so read everything with a grain of salt,and careful when adding additives to the vehicle! remember use your car! it will thank u for it!.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
why would you add a fuel stabilizer for 30 days of storage?
Straight to the nitty gritty... Why the hell would he add it in the first place for only a month of parking.???????????? I suggest drain/syphon most of the **** out of the tank if you can without running the car any further, then top up with new gas. Disconnect the battery to get rid of the CEL, reconnect, pump in the radio code and drive it again. Thats only I M H O of course.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have ticking, it prob gonna be a lifter bled down from sitting. Obviously if you have a check engine light on,you're gonna want to run the computer to get the code. If the code is something innocuous you coul idle the motor to give the lifter the opportunity to to pump back up. I laid my car up for a couple weeks during the summer while doing some maintenance/upgrades and ran into the same prob.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

It could also be a bad ignition coil. Get a code reader.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

As others said, you need to understand what codes are being thrown. If I had to guess, it sounds like multiple misfires. This could be due to bad gas (surprised the stabilizer would do that, but possible), failing coils, or multiple other reasons. You'll either need to dig into it yourself or take it to a shop. If you can't afford to maintain these cars you may want to consider alternatives.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by randy308@optonline.net
these cars are built like a brick s#!@% house. .
oh? you base this on what?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
anyone know a INDY in Philadelphia? no way i can afford dealer repair. \
While you will probably save some money on the hourly rate, and dealers usually charge more for parts, in the end the price difference between an independent and the dealer is not that great.

The only real way to save significant money on repairs is to get parts from Sunset/Suncoast and do the work yourself or with the help of friends. Your post sort of tells us this is not an option... There is no low-cost version of Porsche ownership.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

deleted

Last edited by KrazyK; 12-18-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
While you will probably save some money on the hourly rate, and dealers usually charge more for parts, in the end the price difference between an independent and the dealer is not that great.

The only real way to save significant money on repairs is to get parts from Sunset/Suncoast and do the work yourself or with the help of friends. Your post sort of tells us this is not an option... There is no low-cost version of Porsche ownership.
I agree, you can save money though by getting the parts your self and then having the indy or dealer do the labour. The indy is slightly cheaper but I found they will charge you the same hours on book even though it doesn't take them that long to do it.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Hurdi, forgive me but I dont think you need the radio code on an 2003, right? Otherwise, I concur.
Only if you want the radio to work......................
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No u don't need radio code for 2004. I've d/c'd the battery all te time and even my presents were remembered.

But Wth is a lifter? Lifts what? I thought fuel stabilizer was good?

Prior to leaving it last month, it was running in tip top shape.. I doubt spark plugs/ ignition went bad over 30 days of sitting but I don't know any better..

HELLLPPP :\

Quick Reply: holy crud! this is not what i was expecting after 1 month back