996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C2 Motor Build + Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you consider Vivids kit first? I dont agree with leaving the CR high and lowering the boost like their kit does. I was glad to see someone do it right by lowering CR closer to what a gasoline engine should be for turbo charging. I dont see how your going to be 500 RWHP unless your considering nitrous. Great build and please post some more pics.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm

RIGHT THERE : )
Thanks! That the dead end, where the oil pressure sender would go on the other head, right? This is a tested location and it won't pull too much oil away from the cams?

I'm only asking this because I have a Vortech V2 that was planning on grafting onto mine but couldn't find any info on the oil feed for it.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I'm just surprised by the turbo choice for this type of build. A 94mm exducer wheel is HUGE, especially for a 3.4L engine. I mean, my 6.0 Powerstroke only has an ~82mm exducer diameter (a GT3782v, to be precise) and it has 18:1 compression on top of that. Seems you're going to sacrifice a lot of low-end usable power for the sake of making a big overall number.

But I'm just some guy on the internet, I'm sure the guys doing the work on your engine know more than I do.
Its big, theres no argument there. The hta gt37944 is actualy a 6766 if you go by thoes measurments. Its a 67.5mm inducer and 94mm exducer hot side

the t4 60-1 is a 64.5mm inducer 75mm exducer w/ a 1.00ar hot side.

the hta gt3788r is sized out as a 6466.

I'm still up in the air, but it will be one of the two HTA gt3794r or gt3788r. I'm always open to any ones opinions and advice but high hp C2 single turbo projects are pretty much unsailed waters so its just trial and error (hopfuly more try less error)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Thanks! That the dead end, where the oil pressure sender would go on the other head, right? This is a tested location and it won't pull too much oil away from the cams?

I'm only asking this because I have a Vortech V2 that was planning on grafting onto mine but couldn't find any info on the oil feed for it.
you may also look into canton racing. I heard that they have an adapter that goes between the motor and oil filter that alows you to add an oil feed for an accusump so it should work for turbo oil feed. Just not 100% sure.

The location that you see is a tested location, this is where TPC runs it on all the turbo kits. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but i'll run mine from the same spot.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Did you consider Vivids kit first? I dont agree with leaving the CR high and lowering the boost like their kit does. I was glad to see someone do it right by lowering CR closer to what a gasoline engine should be for turbo charging. I dont see how your going to be 500 RWHP unless your considering nitrous. Great build and please post some more pics.

I did consider Vivids kit because of two things, air/air intercooler and 2nd was looks

But before vivid built there own turbo system the TPC Racing kit was all that they were pushing. The other issue with the vivid kit was that they frowned upon doing a self install and realy sugested that if they sold the kit it had to be installed by them. Nothing wrong with that, but it just seemed like it was a more difficult install. The next reason for my choice in a TPC Racing kit is that Michael from TPC and Todd Kinghton have worked together and have developed tunes for diffrent setups on the 996 C2 that work.

TPC Racing also did a 3.7 cayman build running .7 bar (10psi) and got 515whp with 10:1 cr on pump fuel.

I ran a very very un scientific calculator to figure out psi and lbs per min of flow and it will not be hard to get 500whp. See Below:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by BiteEmNBeatEm; 12-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have any idea when you will be finished? Good luck on your project.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Do you have any idea when you will be finished? Good luck on your project.
it was supose to be done now....lol
My only hold back now is the pistons, so they should be done by the 2nd week of the new year. then about 2-3wks to put it all back together and in the car and about another week for tune, data loging and fine tune again.
I want it done for TX2K13 which is in march.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the shop located doing the work? I live in SAT also and need a shop to do some work for me.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
speed rII
Pro

But I'm just some guy on the internet, I'm sure the guys doing the work on your engine know more than I do.
You'r comparing a diesel engine turbo to gasoline engine turbo.
So i'll bet that the guy's that are building this engine know's more than you
At least on turbo charging.....
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by speed rII
You'r comparing a diesel engine turbo to gasoline engine turbo.
So i'll bet that the guy's that are building this engine know's more than you
At least on turbo charging.....
I was using it as a broad comparison, don't try to tell me what I do and don't know.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche-t
Where is the shop located doing the work? I live in SAT also and need a shop to do some work for me.
Long Beach, CA..... lol
There are no people is san antonio that I know of that can tear down a watercooler Porsche engine and put it back together. Doesn't mean that there arent any I just don't know who can. But there are a couple people in Austin, Houston and Dallas.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

I was using it as a broad comparison, don't try to tell me what I do and don't know.
here we go... Don't get all Ron Burgandy in my thread
lol j/p
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm
There are no people is san antonio that I know of that can tear down a watercooler Porsche engine and put it back together.
I hear Bob Jones Autowerkes is supposed to be good. I was told he has been servicing and racing Porsches for over thirty years.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

i don't think he will tear down a water cooled engine but i could be wrong. I've heard about him for tons of air cooled stuff though and he does alot of thoese rebuilds.

Boost Logic out of Austin did Powell's 996TT build,
Akram (formerly out of mwhouston) did robmds Bluesy 996tt with help from protomotive i belive

what are you needing to do to your 996?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Questions on the Golden Eagle sleeves...........What are they made of and rough cost ?
You definately have a fun project underway and thanks for sharing .
Dave

Quick Reply: 996 C2 Motor Build + Turbo