Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Really odd noise when first accelerating - drivetrain possibly? (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Really odd noise when first accelerating - drivetrain possibly? (with video)

Hey all,
I've started noticing really peculiar noise on my 4S tiptronic. When the car is first started and you give it a bit of gas to roll forward, I hear what I can best describe as a bike spoke clacker noise (3 metalish on plastic sounding clicks) coming from the front, somewhat leftish area of the car.

This happens only once and I cannot recreate it again until I turn the car off. Also the noise doesn't appear until I give it a bit of gas in drive (drivetrain moves quicker than idle); it will not appear if I'm creeping around while covering the brakes. I can recreate it every time by just turning the car on and off and then rolling forward with gas.

At 3 seconds you can hear it. Almost sounds like someone sticking something into spinning fan blades.

Last edited by halik; 12-13-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

The clips do not work for me. They are "private".
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

fixed
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it sounds like something is hitting something or a thud you can sense try checking the transmission mounts. Also it appears you are putting it in gear and hitting the gas right after. Does it do the noise when you let it go from automatic 1st up to 2nd where it defaults to then hit the gas? Does it make the noise when in manual 1st or 2nd accelerating from a stop? Does it do it at all when not first putting the car into gear?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

it will not appear if I'm creeping around while covering the brakes.

Dont start it in Drive then. Is it wise to start a tiptronic in drive or any car for that matter and why? I mean can they be started in neutral? I have never driven a tiptronic so I am only asking. Main reason I am asking is a normal automatic car will not start in gear. It has to be in Auto for a particular reason. So the car does not move forward if the gas pedal is depressed on start up. Maybe the CLUNK is trying to tell you something. Like complaining about something being done wrong by the driver. Does your manual say anything about starting the car up when the drive is engaged?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Bit of clarification: I'm not starting the car while it's in drive, it's only that once it's started and I put it in drive it will make the sound once. To recreate the sound, I have to turn off and then restart the car.

The thud you hear in the first second or so me putting the car in drive.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pac996
If it sounds like something is hitting something or a thud you can sense try checking the transmission mount up Also it appears you are putting it in gear and hitting the gas right after. Does it do the noise when you let it go from automatic 1st up to 2nd where it defaults to then hit the gas? Does it make the noise when in manual 1st or 2nd accelerating from a stop? Does it do it at all when not first putting the car into gear?
I believe the sound happens when throttle is applied or the car rolls fast enough forward, and regardless of gear or auto/manual mode. Will test tonight, but I remember the sound occurring when rolling out in idle, downhill.

I suspect it's a clearance issue maybe due to bad trans amount or something - it appears to coincide with the drive shaft spinning up when the car is first turned on.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Looks like this may be ABS related:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Raa...orsche&f=false
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Front drive shaft flex disk bad?
Driveshaft flex disc - C4 and Turbo

These folks list the OEM Porsche replacement for under $100. Porsche only sells the whole driveshaft for many $$$.

KO Performance in Florida

http://www.koperformance.com/

Part #: 102539005-57
KO Price: $74.61
Shipping: $0.00 - FREE Shipping! - & *Ship Group
Stock Status: In Stock - Ready to Ship!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book #: 10 2539 005
Description: Driveshaft Flex Disc
Applications: Carrera 4 99 thru 05
Manufacturer: O.E.M.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fpb111
Front drive shaft flex disk bad?
Driveshaft flex disc - C4 and Turbo

These folks list the OEM Porsche replacement for under $100. Porsche only sells the whole driveshaft for many $$$.

KO Performance in Florida

http://www.koperformance.com/

Part #: 102539005-57
KO Price: $74.61
Shipping: $0.00 - FREE Shipping! - & *Ship Group
Stock Status: In Stock - Ready to Ship!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book #: 10 2539 005
Description: Driveshaft Flex Disc
Applications: Carrera 4 99 thru 05
Manufacturer: O.E.M.

Quick Reply: Really odd noise when first accelerating - drivetrain possibly? (with video)