Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C2 or C4. My wife is all concerned about traction.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
While I personally find it as sacrilege to drive a Porsche in the snow, go for the C4 Cab because it has the big butt. And who doesn't like the big butt?
Actually the C4 cab doesn't have a big butt. It's the same butt as the C2 or the C2 cab. The C4S cab has the big butt, but it was only produced in 2004.

The things that make a Porsche a wonderful driver on dry roads make it a wonderful driver in the snow. Great handling... great brakes... low center of gravity... all these things are good in snow. If you aren't driving your Porsche in the snow, then you're missing out on a great experience. It's your choice, or course, but you're missing out on a great drive...
Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
17 seconds into your favorite says EVERYTHING.

Not one test of summer tires vs winter specialty tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=31&tab=winter

Really what am I missing??

"This video demonstrates the differences experienced in real world winter driving between a Maserati GranTurismo S fitted with Original Equipment Pirelli P Zero summer performance tires and one fitted with Pirelli Sottozero performance winter / snow tires. A jaw-dropping difference in stopping distances is a video highlight."??
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven Porsches in the snow since around 1970. Great cars on snow and ice with the weight over the rear wheels. PSM helps on the newer cars. Since the summer tires have become more extreme in their compounds, I run 18's in the summer and 17's with snows when the weather channel is predicting regular temps in the 30's or snow.

That said, we got caught in an unexpected snow storm. My wife parked her FWD car with all season tires while the 996 did great (passing many stranded cars) on its summer tires.

As others have said, snow depth is the biggest issue. Other than that, be ready for increased wear to the front paint from road sand & gravel.

AWD is nice but not necessary. I've never gotten stuck or wished my 996 was an AWD.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Your original quote back on page 1 was this: Originally Posted by wwest View Post
" "Snow" tires are TOTALLY worthless unless the surface is loose enough for the tread to sink into, penetrate slightly. On packed snow or ice you will be much better off with standard summer tires with more tread surface area for the surface contact patch."

The word "totally" being capitalized was YOUR emphasis. So are they "totally worthless" or are they "by no means worthless"? Can't have it both way. Then you said that if there is packed snow or ice that a summer tire is better than a winter tire. You should see if you can catch a few rides with people on different kinds of tires, it might be interesting. In the meantime I will need to look out for your cars on the highways.... Tire chains overall are a wholly inadequate solution and really do NOTHING on for example a thin layer of ice over blacktop. Never mind your significantly reduced speed limit relative to others on the highway with properly equipped vehicles. On packed snow in slow-speed conditions they are maybe equal to a good set of snow tires. And All-Season tires are NOT to be considered the same as Snow/Winter tires or Summer tires.. Your Bridgestone Turanza's are an All-Season, i.e. they compromise in every season. A Pirelli P-Zero Rosso is a Summer Tire, a Bridgestone Blizzak is a Winter/Snow tire. Any tire shop can explain and demonstrate the differences.

The post says, paraphased: TOTALLY WORTHLESS..... EXCEPT IN SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.....

Turanza ER30, ER33, and ER300.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
While I personally find it as sacrilege to drive a Porsche in the snow, go for the C4 Cab because it has the big butt. And who doesn't like the big butt?
Methinks you mean C4"S"...
Old 12-09-2012, 01:31 PM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to wwest
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

All I have to add is this...if your wife is concerned about traction, don't buy silk sheets. Pic please!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
The post says, paraphased: TOTALLY WORTHLESS..... EXCEPT IN SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.....
Too late to spin your words. Dedicated winter tires are far superior in cold weather. That means snow / ice / freezing rain / sleet regardless of packed snow or loose.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
wwest
Drifting

Let's put it another way...

If I were limited to a 911 as a DD throughout the winter it would most certainly be a C4, likely a new one with the electromagnetic clutch and a DIY modification to "lock" the front drive fully if the need arose.

But the following applies C2 or C4.

I would NEVER put tire chains on any Porsche other than the Cayenne.

Studded tires on all four corners, the new LEGAL studs. That would undoubtedly also mean wintertime specialty tires all around.

Quick Reply: 996 C2 or C4. My wife is all concerned about traction.