Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C4S in trouble (bad cat CEL and scary sound)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 996 C4S in trouble (bad cat CEL and scary sound)

So I had a great weekend at the track with PCA last weekend. But on my way home the I saw the CEL light for the first time ever. I flipped on the kiwi wifi while I was on the way home to read the code without stopping. The code was low flow through one of the cats (P0420). Whew!

I was relieved the code wasn't something worse. The car was running perfectly fine on on the highway and through several stoplights so I didn't worry too much.

Anyway, when I got home the car has a terrible sound almost like a diesel engine It only does it at idle though. I didn't get a chance to really get down and figure out where it was originating because I wanted to shut it off. I don't want to start it up again without having my indy look at it so I'm going to have it towed on a flatbed.

What sucks is this was probably going to be my last DE in the car for a while because I wanted to get a track car. Fearing the worst and hoping for the best

Last edited by dotframe; 12-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When will you guys learn these are not track/race cars. Hope all is well. Are the converters coming apart inside? The broken chunks of catalyst will rattle like crazy.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
dotframe
Pro

I'm hoping it is just the cat but I guess we'll see. I don't want to risk causing more damage by starting it up to listen.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Cat could be plugged up and with no back pressure on the one side that is plugged could cause the eninge to run rough. Best to tow it to prevent damage from it not firing properly.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
So I had a great weekend at the track with PCA last weekend. But on my way home the I saw the CEL light for the first time ever. I flipped on the kiwi wifi while I was on the way home to read the code without stopping. The code was low flow through one of the cats (P0420). Whew!

I was relieved the code wasn't something worse. The car was running perfectly fine on on the highway and through several stoplights so I didn't worry too much.

Anyway, when I got home the car has a terrible sound almost like a diesel engine It only does it at idle though. I didn't get a chance to really get down and figure out where it was originating because I wanted to shut it off. I don't want to start it up again without having my indy look at it so I'm going to have it towed on a flatbed.

What sucks is this was probably going to be my last DE in the car for a while because I wanted to get a track car. Fearing the worst and hoping for the best
Now would be a great time to change your oil. Start by removing oil filter & check it for excessive metal. If there is none drain oil & look for metallic particles there. (good time to get oil sample for evaluation) If none there install new oil & filter & start engine to see if you still have noise.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well dont keep us in suspense. If its not an internal engine problem, take the exhaust off and look!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
dotframe
Pro

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Well dont keep us in suspense. If its not an internal engine problem, take the exhaust off and look!
I don't have xray vision so I don't know if it is an internal engine problem

If I don't get it on it's way to the indy today I'll take byprodriver's advice and check out the oil filter.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

I don't have xray vision so I don't know if it is an internal engine problem

If I don't get it on it's way to the indy today I'll take byprodriver's advice and check out the oil filter.
Unless you are prepared to fix the car yourself, or you have a mechanic lined up that can't do his own diagnosis leave the car alone.

Just arrange to get the car flat bedded -- no engine running! -- to your favorite shop. The tech will inspect the oil filter oil and whatever else he believes is necessary to id the cause of the noise.

My WAG is the converter suffered a mechanical failure and that is what you hear rattling around.

But let your tech tell you this.

Oh, just a heads up: converters are covered by an emissions warranty which might or might not be 8 years or 80K miles. So if it is a converter it might be covered under the emissions warranty.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could also just hit the cat with a dead blow or rubber mallet and see if you hear anything. Mite put your mind at ease? Good luck
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

When will you guys learn these are not track/race cars. Hope all is well. Are the converters coming apart inside? The broken chunks of catalyst will rattle like crazy.
Say what?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

ROFL. Hope you're kidding
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably broken cat. I had a terrible rattling sound with a broken cat. Dealer replaced it for free under emissions warranty program.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

ALL cats take a beating at the track no matter what you drive. Dotframe, 200 cell cats.... trust me on this.

I hope you find a quick resolution whatever the cause.

KrazyK, follow dframe to the next COTA event and your life will be changed forever.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say CAT....mine went off and it did exactly that. Code and rattle suddenly from the back. I was worried to, but new and problem gone.

Then I needed a new tip

And now a new muffler.

All on drivers side.

Makes me think there must have been some collant leaking down that side before I bought the car!

Keep us posted!
sean
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

dotframe, that is definitely just the cats. CEL goes on, and there is a death rattle at idle. Thats' the stock cats . The inner chamber has become dislodged and is now rattling around with the engine exhaust pulses. I used to replace mine almost annually, until I replaced them with sport cats. Not only do the sport cats stand up to track use better than the stock cats, you can also pair them with Porsche sport exhaust and you will get a deliciously sounding rumble at idle and a beautifull roar at full throttle when you exit the apex turn heading down the main straight .

KrazyK, here's a few videos for you. If you like them, maybe you and I can head out for a weekend at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin and have fun at the newest F1 track!!

Watkins Glen, NY
http://youtu.be/PNM2NZe12kc

BeaveRun, PA
http://youtu.be/sM7GytnWKMc
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sM7GytnWKMc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: 996 C4S in trouble (bad cat CEL and scary sound)