Power Steering Fluid Flush Tip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Flush Tip?

del

Last edited by KrazyK; 12-18-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
My Pentosin PS fluid came in today at Oreillys. Has anyone flushed there PS system? Its my next fluid change project.
Never tried this but a possible power steering fluid flush technique is to disconnect the return line at the power steering pump and make sure it empties into a secure container, then pour in fresh fluid while turning by hand the power steering pump pulley.

Of course the belt needs to be removed to do this.

Also, it may require a helper. You do not want to run the pump tank low on fluid for you'll get air in the system.

So this means too you want to pour in the fresh fluid gently to avoid any air bubbles.

Once clear/fresh fluid flows from the return line reconnect it to the power steering pump and then resume turning the power steering pump by hand and keep an eye on the fluid level adding more until it is ok.

Put in the tank cap start the engine let it idle 10 or 20 seconds then turn it off and check the fluid level just to be sure you didn't introduce any air pockets. Note the fluid may be discolored some by the mixing of the old fluid with the new fluid since it is possible by hand you didn't create enough flow/enough violence to carry out all the old fluid as you pumped the new fluid through the hydraulic system.

Watch that old fluid (and new fluid to). It is I read death to rubber and I wouldn't risk it getting on it anything.

IIRC it is water soluble (try dropping some in a clean but discardable container (like a paper cup) with some tap cold water in it first to see) so if you get some on something you can rinse it off.

Another way is to leave the hoses connected, siphon out as much old fluid as you can but providing enough cushion no air can into the system and then top up with fresh. Turn the pump by hand and see if this takes new fluid and puts it into the system and the tank's contents turn into old fluid.

When (if) it does stop turning the pump and siphon again and repeat until you are satisfied with the appearance of the fluid. You might be better of taking baby steps to avoid contaminating the new fluid with the old fluid too much.

Also, you may not have to remove all the old fluid to have this worth the trouble.

Lastly, I note my 02 Boxster is on its original fluid and it is over 10 years old and has over 261K miles on it. Thus you might just consider leaving a symptomless power steering pump and its fluid alone.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

From Macster:-, I note my 02 Boxster is on its original fluid and it is over 10 years old and has over 261K miles on it. Thus you might just consider leaving a symptomless power steering pump and its fluid alone.

My thoughts exactly....Can this be classed as preventative maintenance? Where do we draw the line????
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

del

Last edited by KrazyK; 12-18-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Flush Tip?