Sponsored by:

How much fuel is actually left?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
The UK is in litres now but still has so many litres in a gallon. 4.54 litres = One Imperial Gallon..They dont measure in Gallons anymore. None of Europe does anyway.

3.78 litres = one United States Gallon. By the way the European Continent is in litres and in Europe when they talk Gallons they certainly do not talk U S Gallons but Imperial Gallons. And another BTW... The United States is approx 50 times larger than the UK not 5 times larger. So lets say that the book was wrote for the United States with the United States Gallon in mind... end of story. I would like to compare an English speaking LHD owners manual to a RHD English speaking owners manual just to see if they say a differance in the gallonage that the car tank holds. Hey all of this is 'mint imperial' ( cockney slang for immaterial) so lets forget it lol. I should never have even mentioned about the imperial gallon. Now every body is confused.
um, since imperial gallons are more than us gallons, you are basically making the opposite point. If the gauge read empty and he filled it up with 14 us gallons, that would mean the reserves or whatever is actually bigger than the 2.9 gallons that one would think are still in the tank.

Not to mention, I think porsche is smart enough to adjust for these changes in the owners manual.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely

4) also, the automatic shut-off on the gas station's nozzle shuts off the fuel flow after a few gallons (as if the tank was full) and I have to restart the process in order to completely fill the tank. Is this a "design" feature of the 996 fuel filler pipe or something unique to my car. This has never happened with any other car I've owned.

P.S., I asked this on the "Things you didn't know about your 996" thread, but haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd try it as a separate thread.
Yep. The answer to #4 is in there. I had to lose a whole saturday reading through that thread.

Turn the nozzle upside down when you're filling your car. It's a trick that apparently works on all 911s, though I've never confirmed.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
It's a trick that apparently works on all 911s, though I've never confirmed.
Confirmed. I do it every time.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Do any other countries use imperial gallons other than the UK? Most of Europe is on the metric system the last I checked. So yes, I think they wrote the manual for the US market and not the UK market since one is roughly 5x the size of the other.
I haven't pulled out my owners manual, but the original (US) sales document (MKT 001 00001 03 E/US) ©2002 states "Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.9 gal (64 liters)", which makes the 16.9 gal US, not imperial gallons. If anybody has a UK 996 owner's manual or original sales brochure, I bet the Fuel Tank Capacity is listed in liters.

Thanks for the all the responses to the original post. I now know that (assuming I want to be brave and foolish ) I have to find a gas station within ~60 miles after my "miles to go" goes to zero.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
I just bought a 2002 996 and have a question about the gas tank and gas gauge. The book says the gas tank volume is 16.9 gallons. If I drive until the miles to empty goes to ~10 miles left (implying a bit under 1/2 gallon left in the tank) and completely refill the tank, I end up putting in ~14 gallons.

Does this mean,
1) my gauge/display isn't working correctly (if not, what do I do about it?),
2) that EMPTY really means there is as much as 2.9 gallons still left in the tank, or
3) something else?

4) also, the automatic shut-off on the gas station's nozzle shuts off the fuel flow after a few gallons (as if the tank was full) and I have to restart the process in order to completely fill the tank. Is this a "design" feature of the 996 fuel filler pipe or something unique to my car. This has never happened with any other car I've owned.

I'm still getting used to the 996. My previous car was a 1980 911SC with a 21 gallon tank that I could go 400 miles before refueling (500 on long trips). The 996 seems to give me a 300 mile range (obeying the fuel gauge/display) for around town driving. No long trips yet, so I don't know what range I could get on a cross-country drive. I do plan to drive from San Diego to Ohio at some point, so this question isn't just academic. Any comments would be appreciated.

P.S., I asked this on the "Things you didn't know about your 996" thread, but haven't gotten a response, so I thought I'd try it as a separate thread.
The CA fuel nozzle vapor containment "condom" is partially to blame for the frequent shutoffs. If you turn the nozzle upside down it helps.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

My original owners manual for my 1999 C2 coupe has part number WKD 996 121 99 and is dated 7/98. It also states it was printed in Germany. On page 184, under the title Capacities, Fuel Tank,
"Refill volume approx. 16.9 U. S. gallons/64 liters, including approx. 2.6 U. S. gallons/10 liters reserve."

All of the data on that page clearly states that all volumes stated in gallons are U.S. gallons. Also, smaller volumes than 1 gallon are stated in quarts (and fractions to the nearest 1/10th quart), AND liters to the nearest 100th/liter.

Hurdi, your arguement about Imperial gallons does not apply to the U.S. spec or delivered cars. Please consult your owners manual for accurate info.

To all, your gas gauge may not indicate absolutely full, even when your tank is absolutely full, and your gas gauge may show empty when you are actually just starting the reserve portion of the the tank. Obviously, Porsche intended to give you some wiggle room to find the proper brand and octane rating of gas for your car when the tank was getting very low. Intentionally driving the car into the empty warning light as a regular plan does nothing to save you money on gas unless you are hoping to find that one gas station you know where the cost is 2c per gallon cheaper. Really? And you bought a PORSCHE?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

On the 996, it is a known issue that if the evap canister on the tank fails, it becomes more difficult to fill the tank, particularly if the tank is depleted down to a low level. If your car has over 70k or so, it is possible that it is on its way out. There is a TSB on this.

Also note that Porsche has stated (in the owner's manual IRRC) that if you draw the tank down below 1/4 tank and then don't put the equivalent of ~8 gallons in, the gauge will read completely incorrect until topped off...
Old 06-12-2015, 08:54 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the owner's manual for my 996.2 said there was a reserve of over 2 gallons, I figured that that was below a reading of empty, like it is on all of my other vehicles. Nope. I ran out of gas for the first time in over three decades of driving when the gauge hit empty.

Due to the geometry of the fill tube and tank, when refueling, the automatic shutoff value kicks in really easily on the 996. This didn't happen on my 1986 911 Carrera. This regularly happens on my 996 when the tank had only been filled to half, so no, I don't stop there. Slowing down the fuel delivery rate helps, as does rotating the nozzle like Targatoo mentioned.

Someone commented on crud in the bottom of the gas tank. I replaced my dead fuel pump myself this year. It is mounted on the inside bottom of the gas tank. I had to carefully scoop out a few gallons of gas to reach the pump. There were a few chunks of crud drifting around on the bottom of the tank. I could only grasp and remove a few pieces with gloved hands and awkward access.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 PM
varsorama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think keeping the fuel at a sufficient level prolongs the life of the fuel pump? Not sure if it's a myth. I personally like to keep mine over halfway
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

My fuel gauge is wrong the other way around - never reads much less than half a tank - before you run out of gas... Goes all the way up when I fill it. I usually refill it right around 200 miles to be safe. It generally takes around 11 gallons of fuel after I've driven 200 - 220 mi. so, with the 5-6 gallons left I should get another 100 - 120 mi. giving a total range, full to empty of 320-350 mi.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:32 AM
fedekz986
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to clarify something... (on a 99 996 if that makes a difference)

So when the gas gauge hits about the 1/4th area, the orange indicator light comes on and the dash says something like 60 miles until empty... So once it says like 5 miles to empty, is that the end of your reserve tank? Like you literally only have 5 miles until it dies... Or is it you have 5 miles until the 2.5 gallon reserve tank kicks in and you're running on that.

Just curious, and wanted some clarification.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by fedekz986
I'd like to clarify something... (on a 99 996 if that makes a difference)

So when the gas gauge hits about the 1/4th area, the orange indicator light comes on and the dash says something like 60 miles until empty... So once it says like 5 miles to empty, is that the end of your reserve tank? Like you literally only have 5 miles until it dies... Or is it you have 5 miles until the 2.5 gallon reserve tank kicks in and you're running on that.

Just curious, and wanted some clarification.
My Turbo is a bit different -- the tank is sort of divided into two -- but that miles remaining is just a number, an estimate. But I take the miles remaining as something close to reality all the same and interpret it as based on how I was driving how many miles are left, how much gas is left, in the tank, if I continue to drive the same way as I was.

However, when the low fuel light comes on and I pull up the miles remaining display I can sometimes have the miles remaining number go *up*, that is increase, if I drive like a high miler.

BTW, with the fuel pump in the tank systems I've always tried to make it a habit of avoiding driving the car with the fuel level too low to avoid possibly running the pump hotter than it would get at least partially submerged in fuel.

I think this running the fuel pump too warm is a valid concern as I note my 996 Turbo has a fuel cooler that is cooled by the A/C when the A/C is on. Granted the Turbo fuel system requires the fuel pump run all the time to keep the siphon jets working but every fuel pump is just an electric motor and with no air circulation has to rely on being cooled to some extent by the fuel in which it is exposed to. From examining my Boxster's fuel pump housing it looks like some fuel is directed to flow around the fuel pump body proper to I suspect offer cooling when the fuel level is low enough the pump is not submerged in fuel.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
My fuel gauge is wrong the other way around - never reads much less than half a tank - before you run out of gas... Goes all the way up when I fill it. I usually refill it right around 200 miles to be safe. It generally takes around 11 gallons of fuel after I've driven 200 - 220 mi. so, with the 5-6 gallons left I should get another 100 - 120 mi. giving a total range, full to empty of 320-350 mi.
C4?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:19 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"C4?"

You betcha!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"C4?" You betcha!
Your float is probably stuck then. Like the Turbo the C4 has a saddle tank to fit over the front drive train.

Ours used to get stuck all the time, though it was the opposite of what you describe (would never register full). Techs always told us it was cause we'd run it down too low. It hasn't happened in a long time and I've been better about filling shortly after the light comes on rather than my historical "see how far I can milk this puppy" approach (I've only run one car out of gas doing that).

Quick Reply: How much fuel is actually left?