996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Season is over

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just went to NH this weekend they had snow last week,keep driving!
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Schmucklefutz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on buying a 996 next spring, and it'll be driven every chance I get-- on the appropriate tires, of course.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm keeping it real on summer tires at this point. . . lol
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Country, just ship the 911 down south... The Season never ends down here.

Oh wait, this isn't the uber Baller 997gt3 forum...

Either way I'm in the warehouse biz. If u ever want to keep the 911 in Florida over The winter months let me know. Free storage for RL members.

We have homestead, moroso, daytona and Sebring all within a 200 mile radius.

Cheers...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Hardback:
Wow, does this include a place to stay, too? Now this is sounding like my kinda vacation!!!!!! Let's see, March, cold snow, tired of plowing, cocktails, a cuban cigar, shorts and a t-shirt, outdoor dinning, warm weather............I might just be driving her down south!

As for the 997gt3 forum.......someday, not now, not yet...........
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

One more reason it's good to live in Cali. Other than avoiding the rainy days it's year round cab driving weather. Sunny and 70 something degrees yesterday in SacTown.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Country911
Hardback:
Wow, does this include a place to stay, too? Now this is sounding like my kinda vacation!!!!!! Let's see, March, cold snow, tired of plowing, cocktails, a cuban cigar, shorts and a t-shirt, outdoor dinning, warm weather............I might just be driving her down south!

As for the 997gt3 forum.......someday, not now, not yet...........
Open invitation pal. I wish i could could get up north to drive the tracks up there in the summer. Like you said.. One day somehow ill take a month off in summer and ship the car up.

As far as the GT3 dream goes, Im seriously considering selling my 4S to fund a 997.1 GT3. Stay tuned.... maybe by this time next year...
Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

sounds silly. there is an awesome drive planned for NJ/NY on sunday. Missing out.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
SWK6Cup

Carey:
If you event do make it this way, the open invitation works both ways. As long as we have the space, you are welcome to stay, crash here, etc. Grill will be ready, tonic of your choice, ice or no ice..........just say when.
R\
Scott
Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Cold air makes more horsepower. Don't waste it.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

If you haven't driven your 996 in snow with proper winter tires, you're missing out. I figure it's about a $20k car now...what's the point of storing every winter? What value am I gaining that outweighs the value of driving the car that I would be giving up?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Drive my Porsche in the snow? Are you crazy? The horror.

I swimming pool season is over if that matters. Porsche comes out on sunny days only. Extremely rare to see snow here. Only a few freezes thankfully.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The end of one season means the beginning of another. I put my winter tires on Oct 1st ski rack on November 1st, and heading for my thirds snowboard weekend to the mountains right now. As much fun as I have with my car during the summer season, I equally enjoy driving it in the winter season for different reasons.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 AM
SWK6Cup

Guys:
FWIW, yes, I have on a very rare occassion (2x), been caught driving her (Boston to Upstate NY) in a snow storm, regardless of the tires, to me, it is not worth it. I am not even talking about the salt or the salt dust, but the cost of an accident, for me, outweighs the few months of being tucked away, waiting for the Spring.
In my experience, there are way too many sh^&y drivers out there. The costs involved to fix the car, assuming it is involved in an incident, along with the diminished value, don't add up. I would suspect that the cost of P-car parts and labour, would mean more likely than not, it would be totaled by the insurance company. I could not replace her for anywhere near what they would give me for her. Yes, I will someday get my GT3 (RS?), but for now I am extremely content to let her sit for the winter and then drive her (street and track) for 3 seasons.

For those of you who drive their babies in the winter, snow tires, ski racks, etc, please continue to share your stories....this type of information fans the 996 ownership and driving flames and keep me totally psyched to bring her out each Spring. There is always the trepidation of will she start?, but then the sound of the Fister D's, is almost all the reward I need to continue this p-car madness. There may be some reaearch on a mod or two (can we say Accusump?) this winter, but alas, each Spring I feel like a kid again.... I take the cover off, roll her out, grab a cigar, maybe even a beer, the wash bucket and get ready for another exciting season......this has been my routine for 8 years now and it never gets old. Each year the kid in me smiles and I am reminded how fortunate I am to be able to have and enjoy this experience. This little baby has introduced me to some really great people and I am sure I could meet even more that enjoy winter p-car sports, but that might have to wait until I decide to steal Mark's Peppa...(lol).

We each have our own reasons.......and yes, SoCal certainly has its advantages (but I did live there for a while and still prefer the East), so for me, feet up, grab a single malt scotch and think Spring!!!!! In about 4 months and the madness starts all over......for now, I am content to wait.

Happy holidays to all and regardless of the season, enjoy the miles and smiles that come with owning and enjoying your 996.
R\
Scott
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Happy Holidays Scott... Hope to see you again soon. Tell Heather we all say Hello from Central NY.

Quick Reply: Season is over