Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why NOT TO drive in the rain

Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Rust issues? There is one area of concern in general with these cars and rust.

If one lifts the car without protecting the surface coating at the lift points this can damage the surface coating, crack it, and give water a chance to get in.

Now the metal is zinc coated so there's some other line of defense against rust forming but I have to mention those of you that use indy tire shops that do not use the rubber pads when lifting the car these lift areas get beat up over and over again and ths can damage the zinc coating enough that rust can set in.

You should avoid lifting the car without the proper rubber pads to protect the lift points.

If the car gets lifted without this protection these areas need to be inspected for the early signs of rust and dealt with accordingly.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ivangene
I waited 30 years for a Porsche - I sure as hell am driving it as often as i can...I have a LOT of time to make up!!!!

OH - and a Porsche is a great car (DUH) which means....its a great foul weather car ---- DUH DUH !!

I bought it for ME

ME

ME

ME

ME

dammit!
ME!!!!!
Reminds me of a girl I dated way back - I used to tell her that she should have been an Oprah singer. me Me MEE
Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 996pp
Since the rainy season is rolling over here in california i thought i might bring this topic up.
I have heard and read alot of people don't drive their cars in the rain and can't seem to understand the reason behinde that. Mine is my daily driver so i don't have a choice it gets driven rain or shine. I can understand snow and salt (which we never get in california) take a toll on the car but whats water gona do?
Has anybody had any problems or rust issues?

Arthur
___________2003 996 aero kit
In SoCA I try to avoid driving in the rain since it is the only guaranteed way to avoid SoCA drivers that are not the most skilled at driving in the rain.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Reminds me of a girl I dated way back - I used to tell her that she should have been an Oprah singer. me Me MEE
Oprah??? You mean Opera singer.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calbo
Bah, it never rains in Portland.
Oregonians don't tan, they rust.
30 or more people a year in Oregon die of falling off their bicycles and drowning.

It's called liquid sunshine some places.

If you don't exercise the seals they get screwy i.e. shrink, rot and dry out. You also give little critters the idea they own a 911 as their house and playground.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Portland and like driving the TT in the rain because it feels so damn good
Besides, I bought the car for me, not the next guy.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I live it rains on and off so often, and it's hard to predict when it will actually rain... so I have no other option. It doesn't bother me unless I just washed/ waxed the car, and think about all the hard work that just went to waste.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Before I bought my Turbo I had a PPI done on a car that had two homes. One in Atlantic City and the other on the Florida coast. The car passed with flying colors except that the undercarriage was corroded from road salts. It was corroded so badly that the inspector basically told me not to buy it at any price. He said it would be very difficult and expensive to work on because of fasteners seizing and components needing replacement due to the damage.

I ended up going the other extreme buying a car from Las Vegas that had never seen rain or been wet underneath. Now that car is 9 years old, has 22K miles and looks brand new all over. The underside is gorgeous and I'd like to keep it that way. I work on my own stuff and really like the pleasure of touching tools to like new fasteners without road grime and residue from dirt, water and salts. I have 2 SUVs that I can drive in rain and snow and off road. My Porsche is my fair weather ride.

Maybe the next guy will appreciate it pay the big bucks for how clean it is like the guy that bought my last 996. I never refrain from driving the Turbo P car to save it. I love driving my Jeep and have two licensed motorcycles and Boxster as well.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 PM
carcster88
Racer

I drive mine in the rain with no issues. I do not do snow anymore due to the traction issue. Not worth the risk.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

I saved my prior 3 Porsches to keep miles down and condition perfect, and I still got my *** handed to me come resale/trade time. My car now will be driven - not enjoying a car so the next owner gets a cream puff is no longer on my agenda.

By the way - I'm pretty sure it rains like a ***** in Germany.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM
heidorn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not do drive in the rain. http://www.inautonews.com/video-ferr...shed-in-canada.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What's rain?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Awesomo996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by calbo
Bah, it never rains in Portland.
+1

In the last thirty years in Portland I've seen it sprinke, drizzle, mist, downpour, soak, spit, and fog, but never rain.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Mine's a DD, and has been for 6 1/2 years. Yes, it's driven in ALL conditions.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If I know it's going to rain, I drive my truck.
Just to keep the car clean, longer.

I did had an incident a few yrs. back where I was on a Highway during a HEAVY downpour & hydroplaned
off the road, it was pretty exciting....wide tires & driving too fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why NOT TO drive in the rain