Smog Pump - Remove, Lubricate, Reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smog Pump - Remove, Lubricate, Reinstall

996 Smog Pump Removal, Disassembly, and Reinstallation

This is not a terribly detailed DIY thread, but of all the projects I've done on my Porsches, it's probably a 10 on an the easy-meter. The smog pump is located in the left side of the rear of the engine compartment. Locate it and remove it from the bracket that attaches it to he chassis. I actually just pulled the pump and bracket out together. You'll need to disconnect the airhose (leading to the engine), and the electrical wire that powers the pump. If you can't get the pump out, you're probably best off not proceeding to the next steps.

Picture 0: This is the pump removed and separated from the mounting bracket, sitting on the counter. There are 3 or 4 spring retainer clips holding the two parts of the case of the smog pump together. Remove these with a flathead screwdriver. Note - do this in an area where you can easily recover the clips - they fly surprisingly far if you're not careful. No joke.

Picture 1: Place outer 1/2 of case on counter

Picture 2: The main shaft of the pump has a notch on it for a flathead screw driver. It's also threaded and has a nut on the end. Hold the shaft with your screwdriver, and remove the nut.

Picture 3: Remove the disk with slotted pattern and keep track of the washer on it - don't lose the washer (you can see it centered on the disk in the picture). I placed the next disks/pieces vertically on the counter on top of this one, so you can see as the disassembly continues, the parts will stack upward, in the order they came out of the pump case

Picture 4: Pull the strainer type disk out, place it on the counter

Picture 5: Remove metal spacer - place it on counter. Note its orientation before removing!

Picture 6: Remove the second slotted disk - place it on counter. This is the last piece.

At this point, I was amazed at how clean the parts were for having 55,000 miles on them. Barely any dust at all. I couldn't tell what would have been causing the high pitched whining. I kept looking for debris, but it just looked like a Cuisinart (before use).

Because everything seemed to be in good working order, I simply applied a light coating of synthetic grease to the shaft, and then wiped each part down carefully with a wet towel as I reassembled the unit. Reassembly is, as you would guess, the steps above in reverse order.

After putting the pump back in the car, the whine was basically gone. You can still hear it, but it's not noticeable from the cabin.

Sadly - I almost kinda miss that noise it used to make. It was kinda cool to hear it in the driveway - not so much at the supermarket though! My coworker heard it at work one day and said "You put a turbo in that thing????"

Have Fun -

Rob
Attached Images        

Last edited by robrichtx; 12-12-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robrichtx
996 Smog Pump Removal, Disassembly, and Reinstallation
Admin/Moderator - would you please delete this thread so that I can redo it? I missed the option to insert a picture within the text, and that's what I wanted to do (a step by step).

Thanks -
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Just referance the pics in a step by step in post #2.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice photos. Never thought it looks so shiny and nice inside. Kinda like a food processor
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I need to do this...mine SOUNDS like a food processor!

Quick Reply: Smog Pump - Remove, Lubricate, Reinstall