Sponsored by:

Replacing IMS - what else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing IMS - what else?

Hello - I think I'm going to sleep better while my car is still in the shop if I have the IMS done. I still know very little about my car since I got it and have not been happy with the way it starts or acts at low idle.

An update to my other thread here, seems that perhaps I have several vacuum leaks. But most troublesome is a vacuum leak on the inter-cooler of the Super Charger. Pending fix on this... Hopefully these are minor and resolve the issues I am seeing.

Next, my Indy was commenting about the wet seal and that eventually I will need the RMS done. I am thinking - lets pull the trigger on it all!

So - whilst I am having the RMS and IMS (yes, will be LN) done, I was thinking I would maybe do the clutch too (if needed) and what else do you recommend since they will be in there?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on mileage you might consider the clutch. They tend to last less than 75k or so. You tech should be able to advise honestly. If not you need to find a different shop.

When I got my car at 39k it seemed fine to me. My mechanic told me it needed a clutch, and since I was fixing an RMS leak I went ahead and did it. I had no idea how much better the car would be with the new clutch.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the SC? LOL!!!! (J/K)...
Old 10-20-2012, 11:00 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Originally Posted by logray
Remove the SC? LOL!!!! (J/K)...

It is an option my Indy and I spoke about ---as a last ditch effort. I hope not because it really is extremely exhilarating to feel the power that thing produces. The best part is the wind-up sound and then the hiss of released air when you shift. Its a really cool sound.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Diablo360
Instructor

Don't forget to add the AOS.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy911
Hello - I think I'm going to sleep better while my car is still in the shop if I have the IMS done. I still know very little about my car since I got it and have not been happy with the way it starts or acts at low idle.

An update to my other thread here, seems that perhaps I have several vacuum leaks. But most troublesome is a vacuum leak on the inter-cooler of the Super Charger. Pending fix on this... Hopefully these are minor and resolve the issues I am seeing.

Next, my Indy was commenting about the wet seal and that eventually I will need the RMS done. I am thinking - lets pull the trigger on it all!

So - whilst I am having the RMS and IMS (yes, will be LN) done, I was thinking I would maybe do the clutch too (if needed) and what else do you recommend since they will be in there?
Briefly whatever needs doing based on time or miles or wear/condition.

As others have mentioned clutch, AOS.

For the clutch the condition/wear can be evaluated and a decision made.

For the AOS I do not know the mileage on the car or if the AOS has been replaced recently but while I'm generally not a fix it if it ain't broke type of guy if the AOS has say 50K miles or more I'd be inclined to preventatively replace it now.

What about the plugs? A super-charger really hammers the plugs so these almost certainly will need replacement sooner than they would if the engine had remained stock.

At the same time the plugs are done the tech can inspect the coils for any signs of issues and advise you about replacement.

A close inspection of the water pump should be done and if there are signs of it leaking or with the belt removed having any play the water pump and t-stat should be replaced.

Might not be a bad time to do a tranny/diff fluid service -- don't forget the front diff and viscous coupling -- and possibly even drain/refill the cooling system with a new mix of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water.

Inspect the CV boots for any cracks/splits and if any found then the half shafts are removed cleaned and the bearings inspecting and if ok repacked fitted with new boots and reinstalled.

Be sure all underbody panels/covers are intact and properly installed and all underbody air dams, scoops, etc are present and secure. These tend to get banged up or ripped off over time.

And don't forget a brake fluid/clutch fluid flush/bleed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my IMS, my rear main seal, machined my flywheel, new flywheel bolts, new clutch and pressure plate also with new bolts, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, throwout bearing guide tube, clutch release lever, release bearing etc. I also did the required oil service and transmission service. I blew my clutch so I sort of replaced everything except the flywheel which was machined and the clutch master cylinder.

Quick Reply: Replacing IMS - what else?