Sponsored by:

Today is a good day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

How can a shifter feel looser than before and the dealer saying it's normal? When you thought it was tighter, was it abnormal before then?

Mechanics are good at discredit each other. You didn't tell the dealer, that your other mechanic suggested a bunch of things and you wanted a second oppinion, did you?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Nice work Wayne. Good to see that the car is getting driven as well even with a competing M3. 75K miles...
Yup, they're both getting lots of good time on the road. I love them both equally.

I've been a little down on the 996 recently, as I thought it was getting tired, but the checkup today gave me peace of mind that it's still as strong as ever and in excellent shape. I'm sad that I thought I had found a good indy mechanic and have now discovered that I can't trust him, as he was trying to sell me parts that were showing no symptoms of failure and that the dealer said I don't need.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Imo000
How can a shifter feel looser than before and the dealer saying it's normal? When you thought it was tighter, was it abnormal before then?

Mechanics are good at discredit each other. You didn't tell the dealer, that your other mechanic suggested a bunch of things and you wanted a second oppinion, did you?
I think you may have misunderstood what I said. My original shifter was not loose, it just had very low drag/resistance. IMHO too low in resistance - I could change gears with a single finger - scary low resistance. It was not always that way, but had with time just accumulated less resistance. The mechanic said it was normal, had no issues and I should not worry. He said if I personally wanted it to feel tighter and have more resistance, then I could move to the 997 SSK, which took about a nanosecond to decide on after he said he would do it at a 20% discount because of a promo I had signed up for. When he affirmed there was nothing wrong, my mind was at rest, as I feared that something had broken, but installing allowed me to gain a more responsive shift and upgrade, while getting a discount at the same time - really, it was a no-brainer.

The new 997 SSK has now given it a tighter, more responsive shift with a shorter throw. It feels identical to a GT2 that I tried earlier in the day and is a very good upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
My car went in for it's 75k service today and I was dreading the worst.... Earlier this year I visited a new Indy mechanic and he flagged a bunch of stuff that would need to be done soon... I was sceptical that my well maintained baby needed much, but took it under advisement that something might need doing before too long... So it was with trepidation that the car went in for a thorough checkup today... I was expecting the worst. After 2.5 hours I got a call and they asked me to visit them to chat. The 5 min drive was filled with worst case scenarios. I walked in and their first words were, your car is in great shape. Worst news is that my wiper blade are streaking a little (from lack of use) and my aos is weeping a little on the outside, but nothing urgent.

Recently my gear shift has felt like it had really low resistance on gear changes, so I was figuring something was amiss there, but their opinion was that it was absolutely normal - joy!

To make life better they said my service was half the price I was expecting to pay.... The news gets better in that they said that they could tighten up the gear shifts by installing the short shifter.... I sat in a GT2 to check it out and really liked it.... The selling point was that they said they would give me a 20% discount on all of the parts and service for today due to a car clinic I signed up for on Saturday.... Bonus!

So, here I am expecting a wallet raping and in reality I find that my Indy mechanic was trying to rip me off, my car is in excellent shape, my service was half the cost of what I was expecting, my gear shift was good and could be upgraded to a short shift at a 20% discount. It's nice to sometimes get some pleasant surprises.... Today I think I got more than my quota!

I can't wait to try the short shifter this evening.... I remember driving ferd's 996 with short shifter and lived it, I'm looking forward to finally getting my own!
Great to hear Wayne that the ol' 996 is still giving you many miles and smiles.

Do you still make it to any Riesentoter events or are you permanently in NC now?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I think you may have misunderstood what I said. My original shifter was not loose, it just had very low drag/resistance. IMHO too low in resistance - I could change gears with a single finger - scary low resistance. It was not always that way, but had with time just accumulated less resistance. The mechanic said it was normal, had no issues and I should not worry. He said if I personally wanted it to feel tighter and have more resistance, then I could move to the 997 SSK, which took about a nanosecond to decide on after he said he would do it at a 20% discount because of a promo I had signed up for. When he affirmed there was nothing wrong, my mind was at rest, as I feared that something had broken, but installing allowed me to gain a more responsive shift and upgrade, while getting a discount at the same time - really, it was a no-brainer.

The new 997 SSK has now given it a tighter, more responsive shift with a shorter throw. It feels identical to a GT2 that I tried earlier in the day and is a very good upgrade. I wish I had done it sooner.
I understood you perfectly fine. In the gearhead world, less resistance = less friction = looser tolerances.......the part is looser. Since the original shifter more resistance but that wore off over time then, obviously the part is more worn then before. If the, now "worn" shifter feels normal to the dealer then, either it was too tight before OR it isn't normal now. Either way, something has happened over time to the shifter. Dealer claims it's fine but, even your observation says otherwise. Something just doesn't add up. Why did the dealer upsell you on a GT2 shifter when, obviously a new stock one would have restored your car to factory spec (it would have felt like it did when it was new)? I would check the car myself to see who is not being thruthful.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy to hear the good news, as good news is, well..... good. My C2 just hit 75K and it is still a stellar performing machine. Struggling to make a decisions though - it could use a clutch soon, I have the new one here as well as an AOS and an LNE IMSB on the dealers shelf.

I had an OEM 996 SSK installed the first week I bought the car, over 50K miles ago and absolutely loved it from day one. I've been having some issues with it of late, dealer says the bushings are worn and time for a replacement. So have been debating between a stock 997, a 997SSK, or the 2010 GT2. But at the same time the darn thing returns to normal and works just fine, so not feeling the pressure to replace it just yet.

The clutch is working just fine too - so not sure why it goes from feeling like it is time to feeling like it has plenty of life left in it.

Then again, considering doing motor mounts and a water pump, maybe before the clutch. I'll sort it out sooner or later.

As to the dealer, I have great experience with mine since I bought the car. They also tell me to stay off of the internet and nudged me away from replacing things that weren't broken.

Labor rates here in NE PA with this dealer are good, throw in the 10% PCA discount, or the frequent 15% off dealer coupons, and I really have no reason to work with an independent.

Again, glad to hear the good news.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Great to hear Wayne that the ol' 996 is still giving you many miles and smiles.

Do you still make it to any Riesentoter events or are you permanently in NC now?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm permanently in NC now. I moved my family down here last year. Sadly, I don't get back up there as often as I would like. I still try to keep an eye out for Riesentoter events, just in case I get the chance to stop by and say hello.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by silotwo
Happy to hear the good news, as good news is, well..... good. My C2 just hit 75K and it is still a stellar performing machine. Struggling to make a decisions though - it could use a clutch soon, I have the new one here as well as an AOS and an LNE IMSB on the dealers shelf.

I had an OEM 996 SSK installed the first week I bought the car, over 50K miles ago and absolutely loved it from day one. I've been having some issues with it of late, dealer says the bushings are worn and time for a replacement. So have been debating between a stock 997, a 997SSK, or the 2010 GT2. But at the same time the darn thing returns to normal and works just fine, so not feeling the pressure to replace it just yet.

The clutch is working just fine too - so not sure why it goes from feeling like it is time to feeling like it has plenty of life left in it.

Then again, considering doing motor mounts and a water pump, maybe before the clutch. I'll sort it out sooner or later.

As to the dealer, I have great experience with mine since I bought the car. They also tell me to stay off of the internet and nudged me away from replacing things that weren't broken.

Labor rates here in NE PA with this dealer are good, throw in the 10% PCA discount, or the frequent 15% off dealer coupons, and I really have no reason to work with an independent.

Again, glad to hear the good news.

Sounds like you have some good projects lined up. I know what you mean about the dealer. I was always extremely happy with Holberts - more so than the experiences I've had here in NC. Even though, they got bought out by Thompsons, I'm betting that the staff are still as good as they used to be and that it's still a good place to go.

If it's of any help (based on 1 evening of experience), I would recommend the 997 SSK.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Imo000
I understood you perfectly fine. In the gearhead world, less resistance = less friction = looser tolerances.......the part is looser. Since the original shifter more resistance but that wore off over time then, obviously the part is more worn then before. If the, now "worn" shifter feels normal to the dealer then, either it was too tight before OR it isn't normal now. Either way, something has happened over time to the shifter. Dealer claims it's fine but, even your observation says otherwise. Something just doesn't add up. Why did the dealer upsell you on a GT2 shifter when, obviously a new stock one would have restored your car to factory spec (it would have felt like it did when it was new)? I would check the car myself to see who is not being thruthful.
The dealer didn't up-sell me. He told me that I was fine to leave it like it was and that I had nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Today is a good day!