Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: N Rated?
N rated
39.47%
Non N rated
59.21%
Non N rated in a model that offers N rating
1.32%
Where can I get N rated wheel chair tires?!?!?!
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Do you run N rated tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Most cars aren't made to serve as a daily driver during the week and then see track duty on the weekend. Just another point of view...
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I tried a set of Sumi HTR ZIII tires on my C4S to see what they were like. They seemed fine at first, but they very quickly became loud to the point that I couldn't stand it. I replaced all four at about 14,000 miles and I won't buy them again.
I'm on my second set and I haven't noticed even after nearly cording them at the track. To be fair my hearing is kinda shot so maybe that is why
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mickdavis
You know, I've heard this many times and I have to say it just doesn't make sense to me. I've never heard of tire manufacturers making special tires for front wheel drive cars because of the front weight bias. And if tire manufacturers made different tires to account for where the majority of the weight is on a car, how would they know if the "correct" tire is installed in the right place, most cars don't have different sized tires.

Please don't take my reply wrong, I'm not saying that the statement is wrong, I just don't get it. In fact I didn't see anything in the Tire Rack overview that said anything about weight bias either.
Right there with you, Mick. These cars have curb weights in the 2900-3100 range--hardly the kind of poundage that should have one scurrying for extra heavy duty tires. I'm sure the N-spec tires are technically better in some ways, just like all the Porsche spec stuff the factory recommends, but I doubt it's anything I need to start losing sleep over, especially when one takes the price into consideration.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an N spec believer but understand price being a concern or perhaps an obstacle. When I picked up my first one the service manager spent a lot of time going over the car with me. He didn't start with the interior and how to use the controls. He started with the tires and stated that the car is engineered from the tires up and act as a part of the suspension (that's what he said, I don't know that for sure). Explained not only N spec but the N series as well, he was adament that matching series was as important as N spec tires. That was fine, it had a brand new set of Conti's so I wasn't thinking replacement cost. He did tell me to expect anywhere from 8k to 12k miles on the rears, depending on tire pressure, alignment, and most of all, driving style. Sounded sort of ridiculous to me, but I just wanted to leave and drive.

When it was time for new rears I asked the same service manager, then a service writer, then a tech, about which non N spec they would recommend as the price was extreme and with so little service life I was looking for something else.

Service Manager would not discuss it. Service writer gave me a "ah well, lot's of guys ask this and some guys go for the cheaper tires, but I honestly can not recommend it". The tech gave me the answer I bought - sure you can buy cheaper, but then you should never have bought this car. And yes some guys do run non N spec and they are still around. But, after servicing your car I know that you do drive it the way it was engineered to be driven. He said when I pulled into the service area he could smell a properly driven Porsche. I laughed, so my car smells? Yes, of heat, brakes, even the smell of the engine. So - you drive this car probably from mild to wild and on edge at times? Well yeah, of course. So when you are wound up and hitting a buck forty where do you want your money to be? The tech convinced me.

Enough said - I buy N spec whenever I can. But then again I do crazy and illogical stuff all the time. I still buy OEM tires for all of my cars.

Quick Reply: Do you run N rated tires?