Sponsored by:

Another Brake pad Thread - Interesting, need input

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 AM
rswamy29
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Brake pad Thread - Interesting, need input

I am planning to do the brakes on my 996TT, researched several threads in this forum (great info). I don't track at all, Just some spirited weekend driving and back and forth to work. Initially got carried away and got a set of Pagid black (All four) from NAPA, $194 (Front) and $260 (Rear). Came in PAGID box, but the front pads have Textar stamped on them. I can post some pics tomorrow. Did some research, I think these pads are overkill. Here is a link gives good comparison of most brands and application. Based on this link I don't really feel I want to go for any items listed listed below Pagid Sport dark blue (Noise and dust considerations). Any input is appreciated....

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-bu...rake-pads.aspx
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

For street driving (even "spirited") you should just be using stock pads. They're more than adequate for anything you can throw at them on the street.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:18 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the link. Now I know why I was dissappointed with the Hawk Ceramics on the wife's car when it came to dusting.

Just to clarify, usually Ceramic compounds are often associated with low dusting attributes and based on that assumption I had assumed Hawk Ceramics actually produced less dust than their normal Hawk HPS line. I guess their marketing logic is backwards to my initial assumptions after reading the descriptions off the Turner site. When I had purchased these initially, I was told differently by the sales person as I'm sure the sales guys also had the same line of thinking opposite to that of Hawk.

Hawk HPS = Low Dust
Hawk Ceramics = More Dust than Hawk HPS but less than OEM
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM
alpine003
Banned

BTW, I also vote for stock unless you want minimal dust which then should be Hawk HPS or Akebono Euro Ceramic pads.

Friend has Euro Ceramic on his BMW and OEM's use to dirty his wheels every 2 days where as the Euro Ceramics is every two weeks. Initial bite and repeated stops was comparable to OEM on his 335i.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had good results with Stoptech Street Performance pads. They're fairly priced - less than $200 for all 4 pads.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rswamy29
I am planning to do the brakes on my 996TT, researched several threads in this forum (great info). I don't track at all, Just some spirited weekend driving and back and forth to work. Initially got carried away and got a set of Pagid black (All four) from NAPA, $194 (Front) and $260 (Rear). Came in PAGID box, but the front pads have Textar stamped on them. I can post some pics tomorrow. Did some research, I think these pads are overkill. Here is a link gives good comparison of most brands and application. Based on this link I don't really feel I want to go for any items listed listed below Pagid Sport dark blue (Noise and dust considerations). Any input is appreciated....

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-bu...rake-pads.aspx
My usage is similar to yours. When my 03 Turbo comes due for brakes -- with 99K miles on the original brakes I think the time is nigh though not even a glimmer from brake wear warning light yet -- I'm just throwing on stock rotors and pads on the thing and replace whatever hardware comes in the brake hardware kit.

Give me effective, long wearing, quiet brakes.

Dusting? Who cares?

Brake dust and all the other dust these cars collect is what car wash soap and water is for.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM
rswamy29
Instructor

Talking 996tt - update Pagid pics

Based on some more research I finally ordered Hawk HPS pads on Amazon $77 (Front HB667F.622 HPS) $140 (rear HB550F.634 HPS), seems like a safe bet for my driving habits and input from you guys. I returned the Pagid pads. $300 savings is great for what I do. Here are some pics of Pagid from NAPA. Thanks for the input guys.

Oh, BTW I'm getting my 997 GT3 shifter from suncoast tomorrow, should be able to put it in this weekend can't wait. Thanks to input from you guys.

This 2001 996TT is a recent acquisition with GT2 turbo upgrade, GIAC upgrade 480hp with flash loader, brand new GT2 clutch and new slave cylinder 500miles, AWE 997TT headers. Clean clean car just rolled over 50k miles last weekend. I have a 930, 993, selling my 99' 996 tip (no reason to keep it). I have to admit the 996TT is a blast, you have to see the look on face of mustang guys on the highway
Attached Images     
Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I got the Hawk HPS's. I am so much happier with them. I can drive the car and the front wheels don't look like crap after a day.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by laz74
I have had good results with Stoptech Street Performance pads. They're fairly priced - less than $200 for all 4 pads.
+1 i also highly recomend stoptech pads ,i use them at DE events and street,perfect combo and fairly priced....imo
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Im guessing the Stoptech pads are rebranded private label but I wonder from which manufacturer. It could very well be the same compound as one of the famous names.

I'll have to try them next.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pagid, Textar and a couple of other brands are all owned by German TMD friction ... I just took the front pads off my 996 - labeled Brembo - but marked with Textar part number on back. If you want to save money over the OEM - I believe the Textar is the equivalent (not sure about Turbo pads however). I put Akebonos on my BMW and was considering for the Porsche - much lower dust (the BMW pads are much worse than the Porsche ones in that regards) - but initial bite is less - and I believe they will wear better under normal street use - but performance tails off if they get too hot (i.e. track use). Track Pads (like Pagid) and other carbon compound pads will not bite as well cold - but have much better hot performance (fade resistance) - but can also be noisier (don;t care on track - but probably do care on street) - so for me OE equivalent is best bang/buck ......(Textar from Pelican)

Quick Reply: Another Brake pad Thread - Interesting, need input