Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Replacement under warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Easy does it. Engines get replaced for things other than a bad IMSB.

You have to see service paperwork to possibly learn why the engine was replaced, and just as important that is was replaced and by a dealer. You want to see matching engine numbers on both the paperwork and the engine.

The procedure is for the techs to determine the problem/symptoms falls under engine replacement guidelines from PCNA and the factory.

In some cases the engine is removed and partially torn down to ascertain the failure mode is covered. If there is a question sometimes the owner can be asked to agree to an engine R&R and teardown job just in case what is found to be the failure mode isn't covered. I mean the owner comes in claiming the engine lost its IMSB and the techs find out later with some investigation the engine suffered from a coolant leak and overheating. Sorry Charlie. No warranty applies.

Also, overrevs are checked. This is when the overrev range counters come into play, big time.

Once it has been determined that the engine qualifies or looks like it qualifies for warranty repair/replacement even then phones calls back and forth with PCNA and maybe even the factory are needed to work out the course of action and arrive at a final decision. It is PCNA and the factory that make the call on this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Agree with all the above, however, in the narrative it does say that the engine was replaced, by Porsche, under warranty, for a known IMS failure problem.

I have heard back from the seller and he says that the invoice number and service writer's name are contained in the description, should I want to check it out. I've looked and cannot find that info in the description so I've asked him for details. If he supplies it I will call the dealership and ask about it!

Best Regards

Les
Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the seller is correct, the service writers name is Chase Baxter and it's actually in one of the photos of the invoices.

The only issue I have is with the ad copy where the seller makes it sound like it's a brand new 2011 design - a tad misleading. It's still an M96 motor except it wouldn't qualify for an IMSB retrofit. All in all this looks like a good example of a C4S. And the $38k potential price doesn't bother me either - if the car is all that it sounds to be that is.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03996
Agree with all the above, however, in the narrative it does say that the engine was replaced, by Porsche, under warranty, for a known IMS failure problem.
OK, final update......heard back from the seller and he did send me a copy of the work invoice. The owner paid for 100% of the labor ($3099) and 75% of the parts replacement cost ($13,805 x 75% = $10,353) so the owner picked up a total of $13,452.

All this was in 2011, so not long ago, on a 2003 car. For me, what comes out of this is that Porsche will at least appear to pick up some portion of the cost of a blown engine. So if anyone has a car with a blown engine that's been serviced appropriately, my first choice is to try to get th edelaer to work for you with Porsche for financial help.

I guess this is a strong indication that it might be wise to try to make sure all our servicing is performed by dealers!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, final update......heard back from the seller and he did send me a copy of the work invoice. The owner paid for 100% of the labor ($3099) and 75% of the parts replacement cost ($13,805 x 75% = $10,353) so the owner picked up a total of $13,452.

All this was in 2011, so not long ago, on a 2003 car. For me, what comes out of this is that Porsche will at least appear to pick up some portion of the cost of a blown engine. So if anyone has a car with a blown engine that's been serviced appropriately, my first choice is to try to get th edelaer to work for you with Porsche for financial help.

I guess this is a strong indication that it might be wise to try to make sure all our servicing is performed by dealers!
Well, it looks like he is trying to recoup some of his loss, which is understandable. Not sure if it will work with a price like that.

With regards to your dealer servicing comment, I'll take my chances doing it myself. $250 oil changes don't appeal to me when I can do it (with better oil IMO) for $70 and 2 hours of my time.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

First the servicing by dealers. It might help but it is no guarantee. Since engine failures are rarer than bad servicing I'd seek out a place that could properly service my car and take my chances.

What I've been told can and does happen is someone shows up with a very sick engine. Out of warranty but maybe not too far out. (I seem to remember one owner while the engine was out of warranty it didn't have big miles on it, the miles may have been under the warranty miles even.)

The offer given to the owner in such a case is sign on the dotted line for an engine postmortem that can involve engine removal even a partial teardown for upwards of several thousand dollars.

The kickers? There is no guarantee any goodwill will be forthcoming and if there is if the engine postmortem fee waived or applied to any portion of what the customer is expected to pay.

More than one SM has told me he has had a customer offered such a "deal" turn and walk away. The SM's can't blame the customer but they are operating under PCNA/factory orders I guess.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by soverystout
Well, it looks like he is trying to recoup some of his loss, which is understandable. Not sure if it will work with a price like that.

With regards to your dealer servicing comment, I'll take my chances doing it myself. $250 oil changes don't appeal to me when I can do it (with better oil IMO) for $70 and 2 hours of my time.
I agree, but, my point is that if your motor goes **** up and it's been serviced regularly by an authorized dealer, then you have all the ammo you need to get assistance from Porsche. I'm keeping the invoice for the subject car showing Porsche assistance, in case my goes bang.

Best Regards

Les.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Racer

Was just cruising Ebay and found this............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item35c0787576

Note in the description that apparently the engine was replaced under "Porsche warranty" due to a known problem with the IMS?????????

I've sent a message to the seller asking if they have proof that Porsche replaced the engine under warranty..........I think I can guess the answer!!
FYI.......car, 2003 C4S with 30k miles, has sold for the buy-it-now price of $38,200.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Replacement under warranty???